I’m begging you JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I’m begging you JB

Tyus took over large parts of the game running in transition and scoring (seemingly at will.).

JB has said we're not a running team, but Tyus just flipped that can over this game because transition was there for the taking.

He saw Duke was not hustling when the ball turned over and he crushed them for it...
I know many people would love to see SU push the ball against every opponent, but this team's transition game is essentially Battle bullrushing to the basket. He's really good at it, too, but I'm not sure that's a sustainable formula for winning. And I'm not expecting this group to start looking like a 60s Celtics team in transition anytime soon.

As long as we're being hypothetical, losing two starters is not something we can withstand against anyone.

Not to suggest it has no impact, but we also don’t have a bench that consists of:

Alex O’Connell - 4* #68 overall player 2017
Joey Baker - 4* #33 overall player 2018
Marquise Bolden - 5* #14 overall player 2016
Javin DeLaurier - 4* #39 overall player 2016

They have able bodied reinforcements. They just choose to recruit over guys that would be 3 year starters getting 35 minutes per game at SU.

PC's rebounding allowed us to run. When you get relatively clean defensive rebounds from your center, that frees up everybody else to get down the court.

I know many people would love to see SU push the ball against every opponent, but this team's transition game is essentially Battle bullrushing to the basket. He's really good at it, too, but I'm not sure that's a sustainable formula for winning. And I'm not expecting this group to start looking like a 60s Celtics team in transition anytime soon.

Yeah the outcome was good last night but I remember screaming at my TV about 25 times when we blew layups, had shots blocked or turned it over trying to get on the break. I think you need to be sensible in evaluating what you saw last night. No doubt helped by an epically bad night from 3 for Duke.

I found it peculiar the Duke didn't zone us the entire night, especially after coming off that GT debacle Saturday night. Coach K is obviously a tremendous coach, but he didn't do his team any favors tonight by not implementing any zone, especially after Jones went down early to injury.

It is clearly written in Zion and Barrett's contracts that they do not play zone.

Pushing the ball was good for them, but the 6-7 stupid turnovers needs to be cleaned up if they are to continue to try and be a faster paced team. We fumbled quite a few balls over the end line with no one around, along with a couple senseless double dribbles without any pressure being applied.

JB said in a presser after one of the recent games that there will be teams we just won’t be able to push the ball against. He didn’t say who.
Hope it’s not Pitt.

Two huge factors:

Young gets hurt. We’re not close otherwise.

Duke’s arrogance. They think they win playing how they want rather than scheming against us.

Thanks K.

You mean Tre Jones? Yes, that changed the game, but it was a pleasure to see SU running and setting up the offense before the defense got set.

Let this team push the tempo.

We SUCK in the half court, unless everybody is on from 3. When we pushed it tonight, not only did we get easy buckets, but not kept us in the game after that brutal start and we gained confidence that led to an all-around fine performance.

Put it in Tyus’ hands and let Frank be an off guard. We have to push the ball and try making things happen before settling into the half court. It won’t be rosy all the time, but man, it sure was fun watching SU pushing it for the first time in YEARS.
--

Couldn't agree more, way more fun to watch too. Games in the 50s and 60s are just dreadful to watch.

I'm just glad to see him take it when it's there... against Dook at Cameron, no less!

I found it peculiar the Duke didn't zone us the entire night, especially after coming off that GT debacle Saturday night. Coach K is obviously a tremendous coach, but he didn't do his team any favors tonight by not implementing any zone, especially after Jones went down early to injury.

I am only assuming here, but I think he presumed his team would still out talent us and not be able to score enough against them even with their two lost stars out. It was a huge mistake in retrospect as Frank went on to have one of his better halves since he has been at SU, and Battle went off for nearly a career night. Big mistake by Coach K as we went on to score our highest output all season...even prior to the OT, where we had already tallied 88 points.

He was asked about that in his presser. His response was once 2 of your starters are out, there is no game planning, it is just a scramble to compete. Imagine JB, or any other coach saying that.

He was asked about that in his presser. His response was once 2 of your starters are out, there is no game planning, it is just a scramble to compete. Imagine JB, or any other coach saying that.

Seems odd, especially for the lofty K. You'd think, since his PG and tenacious defender out on the perimeter who was hounding our guards for the first 5 minutes or so (contributing to our 14-2 deficit right out of the box) would simply transition to that strategy once it became quite apparent that the replacements couldn't handle our guards dribble drive/penetration, etc. I thought K would go zone coming out in the 2nd half, after making that adjustment. It was quite surprising to me, especially with us coming off that horrendous game against GT.

Seems odd, especially for the lofty K. You'd think, since his PG and tenacious defender out on the perimeter who was hounding our guards for the first 5 minutes or so (contributing to our 14-2 deficit right out of the box) would simply transition to that strategy once it became quite apparent that the replacements couldn't handle our guards dribble drive/penetration, etc. I thought K would go zone coming out in the 2nd half, after making that adjustment. It was quite surprising to me, especially with us coming off that horrendous game against GT.

I thought they at least would have put a little token pressure on us while bringing it up, a lil 1-2-2 press before backing off and playing their normal D.

Yeah I think last night confirmed we should be a little quicker to go to full court press when the team is in a rut.

My guess is down the stretch JB makes this adjustment.

Hes been used to winning pretty much everything at home and struggling on the road if I were JB I'd be pretty happy about us out of nowhere becoming absolute road warriors and beasts away from the Dome. Fixing home struggles are a little easier and going to the press is a good way to do this. Could snap a guy like Jalen out of his funk he looks worse right now than Howard Washington pre injury last year.
People overestimate these freshman. Some people on the board had Carey one and done. Please. He's gonna be good, just not right now. Same with Buddy.

Last edited:
The tempo worked last night but I am still not all that comfortable with how we push the ball. We never seem to pass and rarely execute a 2 on 1 successfully. Bull rushes by Battle or OB are hit and miss, and our propensity to just turn the ball over in unguarded situations just leaves me a little nervous that we suddenly turn into Loyola Marymount.

People overestimate these freshman. Some people on the board had Carey one and done. Please. He's gonna be good, just not right now. Same with buddy.

Well, if I recall correctly, Carey was quoted during his recruitment (and prior to his commitment here) saying that the SU coaches told him he could be a one and done. So, I don't think it was just some posters.

I agree he'll be a significant/key contributor for us as he improves upon his skill set in need of work.

Well, if I recall correctly, Carey was quoted during his recruitment (and prior to his commitment here) saying that the SU coaches told him he could be a one and done. So, I don't think it was just some posters.

I agree he'll be a significant/key contributor for us as he improves upon his skill set in need of work.

Tell guys what they want to hear to get them here.

That is true. I also remember words to that effect from him.

It helps if you're playing a team that almost always pushes the tempo and is not great defensively. You'd see this style of basketball if they played Duke every night.
I get that Jones got injured, but they’re still 4th in defensive efficiency in the country, per KenPom. So I don’t know how you can say they’re not great defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom