I Am Doing Some Fence Climbing.... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I Am Doing Some Fence Climbing....

I dont have the faith you do. 5 years in and we are still seeing the same offense in which every single pass play is either behind the LOS or 30 yards downfield. The offense completely ignores a massive chunk of the field.

Screen, bomb, run is all we do.

I feel like you are stuck in this year and last. In 2018 Riley did a ton of work short and over the middle and the year before that Erv caught like 100 balls and he wasn't running deep routes. It hasn't been 5 years of that.

Maybe we fell in love with Tommy's cannon, or maybe that is what he likes to throw, but there have been too many bombs this year and last. I actually wish we ran the screen more. We ran it a ton Dino's first three years with mostly success. Maybe it is worse blocking Wrs or maybe not having the running QB makes that play harder to execute.

I feel like you are stuck in this year and last. In 2018 Riley did a ton of work short and over the middle and the year before that Erv caught like 100 balls and he wasn't running deep routes. It hasn't been 5 years of that.

Maybe we fell in love with Tommy's cannon, or maybe that is what he likes to throw, but there have been too many bombs this year and last. I actually wish we ran the screen more. We ran it a ton Dino's first three years with mostly success. Maybe it is worse blocking Wrs or maybe not having the running QB makes that play harder to execute.

We need a true downfield threat and we need a guy to work the slot. Maybe we should send our inside WRs to Lenny Dykstra for teaching.

We need a true downfield threat and we need a guy to work the slot. Maybe we should send our inside WRs to Lenny Dykstra for teaching.

I feel like we have plenty of throws downfield (now I know that isnt the same as actual "threats) - what I want are tight ends that can catch, and WR that run slants and use the middle of the field. I want plays designed on 3rd and 9 that ...i dunno are in the 12-15 yard range? Not screens...not bombs? Is that too much to ask?

Because it is a discussion forum... and the program is a debacle right now.
Wasted keystrokes. Plenty of other stuff to talk about. We might as well be talking about Wildhack's replacement too. Why stop there? ACC commissioner? President of the NCAA? Would hold as much merit as discussing Dino's replacement because he not getting replaced. Not this year anyway.

Wins and losses eventually start mattering.

But he will come back next year, and I think the team will be tangibly more competitive.

I feel the same way.

I have no idea what to expect. Don't even know of the defense will be better because of the line and maybe one bad injury in the secondary. Too young and too shallow.

Wasted keystrokes. Plenty of other stuff to talk about. We might as well be talking about Wildhack's replacement too. Why stop there? ACC commissioner? President of the NCAA? Would hold as much merit as discussing Dino's replacement because he not getting replaced. Not this year anyway.
You have a good day.

We need a guy who is familiar with the northeast.
If that is a top priority, along with being a successful P5 coordinator and having HC experience, then Joe Moorhead is the guy who should be targeted.

I have no idea what to expect. Don't even know of the defense will be better because of the line and maybe one bad injury in the secondary. Too young and too shallow.

We can’t get much worse than this year. We will be better next year, it’s not possible to be worse. So with that improvement there’ll be people on here using that as a reason we are moving in the right direction. We could have 2 wins and some posters will try to argue we could have had 8, if only this and this had happened. We’re right there, we don’t want to start over.

We can already predict we can’t be worse and predict some posters will use ANY improvement as a basis for staying the course. Just like people did with Shafer.

If that is a top priority, along with being a successful P5 coordinator and having HC experience, then Joe Moorhead is the guy who should be targeted.
We are going to stay with Coach Babers for several more years because he is a really nice guy and there are more important things than wins and losses.

You talked me into it, but I don’t think we’re going to cut Dino this year, and I think he’ll go bowling next year, which means he won’t be cut then, either. But only going bowling 2/7 years while keeping a job and investment level is a big ask.

How about a guy like Curt Cignatti at JMU. East coast ties.
WVU player, Pittsburgh coach. Learned from NS at Alabama and has won at every stop as a head coach turning programs around quickly.
Im sure he could be hired for 2m. Leaving a healthy budget for assistants.

WVU player, Pittsburgh coach. Learned from NS at Alabama and has won at every stop as a head coach turning programs around quickly.

What is it about DB's massive buyout that people don't get? Even if we bought him out there'd be money left for a coach but no assistants.

How is this such a hard concept for people to get? I don't think it can be explained any clearer than it has been. He is not going anywhere especially this year, THERE IS NO MONEY TO BUY HIM OUT. It's possible the University wouldn't want to buy him out next year either, even if he only wins 2 - 4 games.

What is it about DB's massive buyout that people don't get? Even if we bought him out there'd be money left for a coach but no assistants.

How is this such a hard concept for people to get? I don't think it can be explained any clearer than it has been. He is not going anywhere especially this year, THERE IS NO MONEY TO BUY HIM OUT. It's possible the University wouldn't want to buy him out next year either, even if he only wins 2 - 4 games.
What about the naming rights for the dome( New Era, Amazon, Wegman's) ?

But SU has a GAZILLION DOLLAR ENDOWMENT !!!

SU could afford to hire Nick Saban and his entire staff away from Alabama, but they're just cheap. :D

But SU has a GAZILLION DOLLAR ENDOWMENT !!!

SU could afford to hire Nick Saban and his entire staff away from Alabama, but they're just cheap.
:D
That would be a smart investment. The football franchise at Syracuse is worth a lot of money.

We all realize this. JW already confirmed he would be back next year. I expect him back the next 2 years.
If however he doesn't make significant progress next season hi might be out
If he is let go some of us are presenting some potential replacements.
Its covid season, SU sucks and for me its something to do. Especially now that Walt has taken his tool to greener pastures.

That would be a smart investment. The football franchise at Syracuse is worth a lot of money.
And yet, endowment money at SU will never be spent for athletics. As is the case at 99% of other schools.

Don't die on this hill.

And yet, endowment money at SU will never be spent for athletics. As is the case at 99% of other schools.

Don't die on this hill.
Colleges are run by academics who don't know how to run a 500 million dollar college sports franchise.

Last edited:

I am all for an FCS guy but for me Cignetti needs to show he can recruit to sustain JMU's success. He seems like he can coach but as we have seen with Dino, SU needs more than that. Ideally I want a guy who has HC experience and has 5 years at their current school.

Yet you continue to engage in this thread. Interesting thing about free will, it gives one complete authority & control of one's choices. :)

Yet you continue to engage in this thread. Interesting thing about free will, it gives one complete authority & control of one's choices. :)
lmao that post was my last 'engagement' and I never told them to stop. I asked why, and then gave an opinion that it's wasted keystrokes because it's far too premature. Dino isn't getting fired, therefore discussing who's available now is like talking about what's on sale at Wegman's this week even though you aren't shopping for 2 more weeks. Hey have at it. I'd rather discuss something of some substance. Not complete fantasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom