I am not an x and o guy | Syracusefan.com

I am not an x and o guy

CUSEBB1

2nd String
but i been a Cuse fan for the last 30 years.This team will have its highs and have its lows and in the end it will be sweet 16 and out.Thats when/if the LUCK kicks in and we make it a bit further.I have come to live with this result as a Cuse fan.We are not Duke/UNC/Kentucky or Uconn.As for Kansas? never did understand the hubbub.

PS:i wouldn;t know a Boehiem play if it bit me.I honostly don;t think the Cuse has a play.Seems for 30 years we roll the ball out and play.But as i said. I am not an x and o guy.But it allways looks like a bunch of guys looking good for the cameras here.Bashing me is allowed!!!

Any coach will tell you, JB allows his players more freedom on offense than most... but, he's not just rolling the balls out there.

We do run plays. But JB's sets tend to be rather simple - he tries to stay out of the way and let his talent make the plays. We have a small handful of different inbounds plays, we run some staggered screens at the top of the key for our point guards, and we run some off-the-ball stuff if we have a special shooter (GMac/Rautins/DNich). High-low sets used to be pretty common in the late 80s but JB has gotten away from them, maybe because we haven't had the right combinations of players/personnel. JB tends to run more sets when we have less talent, and less sets when we have better freelancers (like 08-09 with Devo and Johnny).

Another thing that I would point out, that might be missed by the casual fan, is that there is actually quite a lot of structure to our fastbreak/transition basketball. In a way this is like a set play because each player has a specific assignment in transition, even if it looks totally chaotic. A lot of those GMac and Rautins transition 3s over the years came off designed transition plays. I used to go to a lot of practices when I was a grad student and at the beginning of the year, JB always focused on putting in his transition offense first.

Another thing is that many of the alley-oops we see against a zone defense are from a set play. The receiving forward comes out to one corner, then passes the ball to a guard on the wing - the guard then reverses to another guard at the top of the key (timing and quick reversal across the 2 guards is key). Meanwhile the receiving forward slips baseline as the center steps up to back-screen off the opposing wing defender. Now you have a forward going to the basket hard and his defender is trapped in the corner... we just throw the ball over the zone. If we have the right personnel for this play, you can almost guarantee you'll see it within the first 3 possessions against a zone. A lot of small teams don't like to zone us because they're afraid we'll just throw it over the top of their defense (see: at West Virginia, 2003 when Hak and GMac successfully ran this like 5 times).

A Big East assistant coach once said that JB's system is the easiest to prepare for (because it's not particularly complex), but the hardest TO PLAY against, because he does a great job at getting the right type of guys for his system.

Sort of reminds me of an interview with Bob Lanier, former PG of St. Bonnies. He was asked about playing against Syracuse in the late 80s, and he said something to the effect of "We spent all week watching film and my coach told me that we could win if I forced Sherman Douglas left every time. After the first timeout, coach got on me about forgetting about the scouting report, and I told him - I know what I'm SUPPOSED to do, I just can't do it because he's too damn quick going right."

Well, that all works for me.Thanks for taking it easy on me.

but i been a Cuse fan for the last 30 years.This team will have its highs and have its lows and in the end it will be sweet 16 and out.Thats when/if the LUCK kicks in and we make it a bit further.I have come to live with this result as a Cuse fan.We are not Duke/UNC/Kentucky or Uconn.As for Kansas? never did understand the hubbub.
I dont know what is funnier, the veiled shot at Cuse or not understanding the hubbub about Kansas.

PS:i wouldn;t know a Boehiem play if it bit me.I honostly don;t think the Cuse has a play.Seems for 30 years we roll the ball out and play.But as i said. I am not an x and o guy.But it allways looks like a bunch of guys looking good for the cameras here.Bashing me is allowed!!!

You watch games and dont notice the staggered screens? The pick and roll action? The hi-low? The back door alley oops? I mean there are probably 4-5 things that occur on breaks that are pretty nuanced.

I am usually just watching the score board,lol.I never cared how they win, just as long as they win.I usually just notice the out of bounds plays,the traps in the corner or throw ins and after timeout plays.The in game plays i NEVER notice.

I dont know what is funnier, the veiled shot at Cuse or not understanding the hubbub about Kansas.
I don't think he took a veiled shot at Syracuse. I think he's saying it like he sees it.
Do you disagree with his assessment? Deep runs aren't exactly common for Syracuse. I know you aren't a believer in Elite 8's and FF and only championships matter to you but the fact is we don't get past the Sweet 16 very often.
We are a consistently very good to excellent program whose resume doesn't match up with the teams the OP mentioned.
I agree with you about the Kansas thing though.

I am usually just watching the score board,lol.I never cared how they win, just as long as they win.I usually just notice the out of bounds plays,the traps in the corner or throw ins and after timeout plays.The in game plays i NEVER notice.
Oh No!!!! not again.lol. I wasn't taking a shot. This happened the other day with my elite 8 post.And it seemed it would never end.Don't look further into this post than need be.Just a simple question.As i said, i am not an x or o guy.

But i stick by my Kansas remark.I don't get the love affair.

We only have a few set plays but who ever said you need more than a few to be a great program? JB has always used the "kiss" method understanding that there is rapid player turn over in college BB.
We are not elite of the elite but we are a top 5-7 program in the country over the years and there are well over 300 division 1 teams. There is a reason JB is in the HOF and it's not because he is good looking..

I don't think he took a veiled shot at Syracuse. I think he's saying it like he sees it.
Do you disagree with his assessment? Deep runs aren't exactly common for Syracuse. I know you aren't a believer in Elite 8's and FF and only championships matter to you but the fact is we don't get past the Sweet 16 very often.
We are a consistently very good to excellent program whose resume doesn't match up with the teams the OP mentioned.
I agree with you about the Kansas thing though.
The shot was veiled in the sense that he is a self admitted scoreboard watcher only...yet says he doesnt think we run plays. I dont put much stock into people that opine based on score results only. Thats all I was getting at.

But i stick by my Kansas remark.I don't get the love affair.
Have you watched any college hoops in the last 20-30 years? I ask this seriously, because no one with a straight face can argue that Kansas isnt one of the Top 5 premiere programs in the country.

Another thing is that many of the alley-oops we see against a zone defense are from a set play. The receiving forward comes out to one corner, then passes the ball to a guard on the wing - the guard then reverses to another guard at the top of the key (timing and quick reversal across the 2 guards is key). Meanwhile the receiving forward slips baseline as the center steps up to back-screen off the opposing wing defender. Now you have a forward going to the basket hard and his defender is trapped in the corner... we just throw the ball over the zone. If we have the right personnel for this play, you can almost guarantee you'll see it within the first 3 possessions against a zone. A lot of small teams don't like to zone us because they're afraid we'll just throw it over the top of their defense (see: at West Virginia, 2003 when Hak and GMac successfully ran this like 5 times).

And against West Virginia at the Dome that year. They couldn't get it right. One more talent of Craig Forth that is wildly underrated. Eight years since then and we still haven't found a center who can set that backscreen as effectively.

in the end it will be sweet 16 and out.Thats when/if the LUCK kicks in and we make it a bit further.

I'll tell you what, the luck comes into play sooner than the Sweet Sixteen. If the Selection Committee pulls a fast one again this year and has us meeting another Big East team who's beaten us already - say, Louisville this year (yeah, they're ranked highly now; that doesn't mean they won't be a 10 seed in March) - we're in for a world of disappointment.

That's the great unspoken disappointment within last season's disappointment (actually, I give credit for everyone else for not harping on this fact as I do): we got jobbed by being placed with another league team in the sub-regional. I agree with the sentiment that to be the best we need to beat the best, but the Selection Committee unnecessarily added a degree of difficulty. I hope that doesn't happen - to us or to anyone else. We get two months to see how we fare against Big East teams. No reason to throw us together again for the first weekend of the tournament.

I'd lay some good money down that SU advances past the S16 this season

I just want Jimmy B to get 2 more titles b4 he retires.I can't handle Uconn having 3 and us having 1.

I'll tell you what, the luck comes into play sooner than the Sweet Sixteen. If the Selection Committee pulls a fast one again this year and has us meeting another Big East team who's beaten us already - say, Louisville this year (yeah, they're ranked highly now; that doesn't mean they won't be a 10 seed in March) - we're in for a world of disappointment.

That's the great unspoken disappointment within last season's disappointment (actually, I give credit for everyone else for not harping on this fact as I do): we got jobbed by being placed with another league team in the sub-regional. I agree with the sentiment that to be the best we need to beat the best, but the Selection Committee unnecessarily added a degree of difficulty. I hope that doesn't happen - to us or to anyone else. We get two months to see how we fare against Big East teams. No reason to throw us together again for the first weekend of the tournament.

Don't get me started on the Marq draw last season! I knew we were not winning it all last season but we make the 16 round agaist most of the other teams we could have gotten in that seed level with a decent chance to make the 8 round even as flawed as that team was. My gut dropped when I saw we were playing Marq in the second round and although I have no reason to hate on Marq I was rooting for them to loose in the first round. Total screw job IMO, not only a team from our league but one that was hot down the stretch and beat us already that season, what kind of seed protection was that?

This post seems like another unsophisticated sabotage attempt by an SU opponent to make the program look bad. Just like all of the posts when Dajuan Coleman announced and 85% of the people on the board could not spell his name correctly even though if you are a fan of Syracuse at all you would have realized, just as one example, the first time you typed his name into google and then get corrected that you might remember it since it is a unique name. I dot not fully buy CUSEBB1s post. In this day and age please note all the propaganda and psychological digs on the internet and especially this forum (even though nobody takes this stuff too seriously anyways, but i'm just saying). Dajuan already knows how much the hundreds of thousands (at least) Cuse fans support him and know his name and many have known for quite some time. Fortunately our reputations and fans speak for themselves as everyone can see our games on TV etc so not to worry about the games on the forum. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

This post seems like another unsophisticated sabotage attempt by an SU opponent to make the program look bad. Just like all of the posts when Dajuan Coleman announced and 85% of the people on the board could not spell his name correctly even though if you are a fan of Syracuse at all you would have realized, just as one example, the first time you typed his name into google and then get corrected that you might remember it since it is a unique name. I dot not fully buy CUSEBB1s post. In this day and age please note all the propaganda and psychological digs on the internet and especially this forum (even though nobody takes this stuff too seriously anyways, but i'm just saying). Dajuan already knows how much the hundreds of thousands (at least) Cuse fans support him and know his name and many have known for quite some time. Fortunately our reputations and fans speak for themselves as everyone can see our games on TV etc so not to worry about the games on the forum. Enjoy your weekend everyone.
Sabotage?that is just silly.I been a Cuse fan since the day i was born at ST Joe's hospital on the NSide 38 yrs ago.Been following this site and the previous sites since their inception.I can not help what you believe.I lied,sorry. Maybe not since the day i was born.But at least since 5 yrs old.ps:As a Closet Georgetown fan,lol.I love dressing my daughter(pic to left) in Cuse geer and cheering against the orange.I am just sick that way.Get a grip my man.I have no hidden agendas.I should stop posting new threads though.they never turn out good.

Sorry about that I was getting a little bit silly and just providing some overall satire since I was a bit bored. Please continue posting as I was just killing a little time and it was just a very rash random bander and a way of making myself feel insightful or something. I seriously have no clue why I posted that.

Sorry about that I was getting a little bit silly and just providing some overall satire since I was a bit bored. Please continue posting as I was just killing a little time and it was just a very rash random bander and a way of making myself feel insightful or something. I seriously have no clue why I posted that.
Your posts make a lot more sense than mine do.I have over 300 posts and not one of them actually contributes to anything.Think i like to see my self type i guess.But the reason i have over 300 posts and nothing really worth reading in any of them is cause i'm not an x-0 guy.I just a guy that likes Syracuse sports and likes to read the boards and type stupid things.