I am so over Desko | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I am so over Desko

It’s easy to pile on Desko right now and I’m not a huge fan, but we hit Towson playing their best ball and we had a bad game.

We had the uncharacteristic 7 penalties. We spent 6 ½ minutes man-down. Nearly half a quarter.

2nd leading man-up in the nation, we went 0-4 / Towson converted 3-7

11 turnovers most of them bad turnovers. Some crazy passes, the offsides etc. just bad.

4 or 5 piped shots and an opposing goalie that made 3 or 4 doorstep saves. In fact their goalie played out of his mind.

What makes this loss so disappointing for me is not Desko, but rather how bad we played. I give Towson some credit, their individual defense was outstanding their goalie had a career type day. But we really served the game up to them and not in a way that was Desko's fault.

Whats next? My worry is what is in the cupboard. I love the Rehfuss potential and Solomon is a solid player, Mellen an AA but that’s about it. Bomberry is a Crease guy, Tyson Bomberry is an adequate defender but not spectacular. I don’t think Voight or Trimbo really showed they might be a star in the making, but maybe. Offensively, there is nobody else. In-close defense? Is there a dominant LSM?

It’s another year of way too many question marks and hoping unproven kids step up.
Fair points. I think Trimboli is going to turn into a special player for SU. He has all the tools.

It’s easy to pile on Desko right now and I’m not a huge fan, but we hit Towson playing their best ball and we had a bad game.

We had the uncharacteristic 7 penalties. We spent 6 ½ minutes man-down. Nearly half a quarter.

11 turnovers most of them bad turnovers. Some crazy passes, the offsides etc. just bad.

4 or 5 piped shots and an opposing goalie that made 3 or 4 doorstep saves. In fact their goalie played out of his mind.

What makes this loss so disappointing for me is not Desko, but rather how bad we played. I give Towson some credit, their individual defense was outstanding their goalie had a career type day. But we really served the game up to them and not in a way that was Desko's fault.

Whats next? My worry is what is in the cupboard. I love the Rehfuss potential and Solomon is a solid player, Mellen an AA but that’s about it. Bomberry is a Crease guy, Tyson Bomberry is an adequate defender but not spectacular. I don’t think Voight or Trimbo really showed they might be a star in the making, but maybe. Offensively, there is nobody else. In-close defense? Is there a dominant LSM?

It’s another year of way too many question marks and hoping unproven kids step up.
Fair points. I think Trimboli is going to turn into a special player for SU. He has all the tools.

I am less concerned with the offense next year then I am with the defense. This year's defense was never elite and a weak link IMHO constantly putting us in 4-6 goal holes early. The offense could bail them out and/or they played differently in the second half of a lot of games until we ran out of rope yesterday. At LSD We lose Firman but get back Mellen so consider that a wash but I thought Cunningham played poorly up and down all year, and Fusco and Helmer are serviceable but not elite defenders. I still think SSDM is the real problem with this D. We lose Gillis and Ciferi but Gillis was abused all day yesterday. Paolo will be missed as he gave 110% effort out there. I am not sold on Dearth as he was exposed in the Colgate, UNC, Yale games. I expect Simmons to possibly get bumped down to this group next year assuming he's willing to do it because of the logjam at mid next year given all of the options coming in. It is no coincidence that all of the teams making this year's Final 4 were in the top 20 in team defense (Towson #3, OSU #9, Denver #13 and UMD #16). We were #27. That's not going to cut it. We need to get back to the aggressive physical shut down defenses we have seen from Cuse in the past. This group played way too passive in the first half of games and did not consistently bring intensity each and every game. This has to change going forward.

I'm not sure it's Desko that needs to go or the assistants. There is a lack of innovation and in game adjustments being made. I believe there is a major problem in player developement and actually placing players in a position to be effective. I would like to see them bring a younger coach on staff that can relate to players and act as a go between. The game and recruiting world is changing and it's about time this program makes adjustments to catch up and keep up with the changing landscape. The Syracuse name doesn't sell to kids like it did 20 years ago, especially when you miss playing on Memorial Day weekend

Everyone talks about how great Danowski is at teaching fundamentals and giving his players the opportunity to grow and develope during the season. I believe a large portion of their fall ball is solely individual skill development. Wouldn't mind hearing the program do something similar

Lack of in game adjustments ??

How do you explain all of our comebacks from 4 goal+ deficits and squeaking out all those one goal victories by a coach who isn't adjusting in game ???

I used to love firing coaches as the answer. I don't love it so much anymore. Maybe I've grown up. Not sure what it solves. This is not SEC football. I have been coaching a lot of youth club lacrosse the past 3 years. It's really friggin hard. Gait, LOL. He got his butt handed to him. Lars Tiffany would be cool, but that ship has sailed.

That said, you cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different results. His assistants have been around forever. Some legacy assistants seem to have ceremonial positions. What do they all do exactly? Where is the hunger? If it's still there, then by all means don't change anything.

Would love to see Desko be more cutting edge like Danowski and ND are about the social media side of coaching lacrosse. That stuff matters.

CNY lacrosse still seems to be pretty darn good. Cannizarro, anyone? Thompsons, anyone? Zach Miller? Hello?!? They are still good. That's not the problem. The problem is they are just not all coming here.

Need more BIG Canadian box players on offense. Would love to have us some Cloutier. Too many smurfs. Love 'em, but you need the size.

What I find frustrating is our laziness with our sticks. This is where I am concerned about the coaching. So many times our guys are just trying to do basic stuff like roll away from pressure and work the ball around, and we are not protecting our sticks, and Towson was just chopping it away. The sloppiness reminds me of the horrible and sloppy passing and turnovers that preceded our fall from 22 straight final fours grace. If you cannot recruit the best of the best, then you need to coach a bit more discipline and fundamentals.

I read the scouting report on Towson, and got an immediate sinking feeling. Big tough, D. Gonna pack it in close, and force you to shoot from distance. I knew we were doomed. Just plays in to our weakness. Did anyone else feel this way?

I'm thinking back to the 'wake up call' posts and sentiments post the Colgate close call and UNC loss. LOL. Like someone else said, we were unfortunately living on borrowed time. Frustrating, but it is what it is. It all goes back to recruiting. Some teams get Matt Rambo, and Matt Rambo pans out. Some don't.

Nice to come on here and commiserate with like minded folks.

Lack of in game adjustments ??

How do you explain all of our comebacks from 4 goal+ deficits and squeaking out all those one goal victories by a coach who isn't adjusting in game ???

I don't view the substitution pattern as in game adjustment when you are rotating 4-5 different players on attack. But that's just me. Other than offensive substitutions yesterday, what in game adjustment do you think was made? Did they change the point of attack? Did they invert or dodge from the low wing with Mariano? Did they change the players on the face off wings, try Vallero a couple times to see if he got a better read?

I think there is a lack of creativity on the coaching staff. All three coaches are closer in age to retirement than the 18-21 year old kids they are coaching. There would be nothing wrong with bringing on a coach in his mid 20s to young 30s to help out. As I've said before, the game is evolving and this program is behind the times. Maybe that changes in the next couple of years with the new recruits but right now, this team isn't seeing a Final Four next year

I don't view the substitution pattern as in game adjustment when you are rotating 4-5 different players on attack. But that's just me. Other than offensive substitutions yesterday, what in game adjustment do you think was made? Did they change the point of attack? Did they invert or dodge from the low wing with Mariano? Did they change the players on the face off wings, try Vallero a couple times to see if he got a better read?

I think there is a lack of creativity on the coaching staff. All three coaches are closer in age to retirement than the 18-21 year old kids they are coaching. There would be nothing wrong with bringing on a coach in his mid 20s to young 30s to help out. As I've said before, the game is evolving and this program is behind the times. Maybe that changes in the next couple of years with the new recruits but right now, this team isn't seeing a Final Four next year
Yes, I thought the attack ran much more thru reyhfus in the second half with doubles and picks to get Solomon free in close. The one thing I did not like was not getting the emotions in check.

Maybe a preview of next year's attack.

I've never seen a game that had two pipe hits, one on each end of the field, go against the same team.

Towson hit a pipe and it goes out goal line extended in front of their attackman.

SU hit a pipe, on an EMO, and it deflected out of bounds in front of their long stick middie.

Both were big kicks to the crotch. :bang:Oh Lord

I thought Trimboli flashed immense potential as well. Tough to shine too often with two guys he shared the field with.

I've never seen a game that had two pipe hits, one on each end of the field, go against the same team.

Towson hit a pipe and it goes out goal line extended in front of their attackman.

SU hit a pipe, on an EMO, and it deflected out of bounds in front of their long stick middie.

Both were big kicks to the crotch. :bang:Oh Lord
Every time we clang a pipe the way Salcido did, I'm reminded of the '08 semi when Rubeor hit the pipe in OT. If that had gone in, who knows what happens in '09, and we might be lamenting a 14-yr title drought.

Every time we clang a pipe the way Salcido did, I'm reminded of the '08 semi when Rubeor hit the pipe in OT. If that had gone in, who knows what happens in '09, and we might be lamenting a 14-yr title drought.

There were pipes galore vs Princeton in 92. We bounced back from that one OK.

There might not be variety in the FF but when Denver, ND, Loyola, Cornell, Brown, Ohio State and Towson have 16 final fours between them in your time frame I would say that's parity. The talent gap has closed and been surpassed by these newbies and the old guard. That's a fact. At least Loyola, Cornell, and Towson have history, but it took them 100 years to break through. No matter. There is no more talent gap, so if you don't get the very very best players you better be able to coach.

Good post about parity.

In its first 5 years of existence, there were 5 different NCAA champs.

In its next 34 years of existence, there were an additional 2 (SU & Princeton).

In the last 7 years, there have been 3 new champs (Duke, Loyola & Denver). And it could be 4 in 8 if Towson or Ohio State can get it done.

When I first came down to northern Jersey in '88, lax was played by a few public high schools and some of the privates - ni the entire state. Now it is everywhere. And every town now has its own youth feeder program. These kids may not be born with sticks in their cribs like in Camillus or Massapequa but they get introduced to it pretty quickly. It has absolutely exploded in popularity. And neither these kids, nor their parents, have gotten the message that it is our birthright to have a monopoly on talent.

Lets fire the ACC coach of the year... brilliant!

Cuse fans think they have a right to be in the final four every year. The sport has changed. If making it to the quarterfinals gets you fired, there would be a lot of quality openings every year.

I'm often frustrated by some of the decisions that this staff has made, but take a step back. It's not easy to win a title anymore. If you held Boeheim to the same standard that you're holding Desko, Jimmy B would be long gone.

Firing the coach is just crazy talk. But there's grounds for frustration and debate. Yes, the sport has changed, but getting to the quarters in lax means winning one game. BFD, if you're Syracuse University. There has also been some significant plunders in first round games (at home) relatively recently in losses to Army and Bryant. Bryant, are you frigging kidding me! Both went on to lose their ensuing tourney games. No doubt the sport has grown and much better parity, but getting to the final four only requires 2 wins...2! Maryland has made 4 straight final fours, so it can still be done even with stiffer competition.

Moreover, comparing JB to Desko is comical. JB is in the Hall of Fame for a reason. College hoops is exponentially more difficult to get to the Final Four than lax will ever be...I won't get into that as it's too self explanatory.

We were just horrendous in the first Q against Townsend...down 6-0 to a team like that is on the coach for not having these guys mentally prepared. OSU will have its way with the Tigers on Championship weekend!

JeremyCuse what say you about this?

Sorry didn't get a chance to respond to this on Sunday or Monday as I have been beyond busy.

I agree with the general assessment that Rogers and Donahue are very good coaches. They are both highly respected in the industry, have a very good track record, and Rogers especially has done a lot of the recruiting leg work. Donahue has done a nice job the last two years putting together pretty good offenses despite serious flaws he hid fairly well. My concern that Creaserat kind of touched on was that there seems to be a lack of innovation or in my mind that hunger you would like to see. Obviously all three of the guy and even the 4th volunteer assistant have been around the program for decades and complacency inevitable sets in.

I think some type of shakeup or a jolt would really do the program a world of good and I don't think that means you have to fire anyone. To me it was no surprise/coincidence that the season following SU hiring Gait for the womens team after the mens tea was under. 500 Desko and SU won back to back titles. It's amazing what happens when peoples backs are against the wall a bit. The AD would do himself a huge service to sit Desko down at some point over the next few weeks and remind him the expectations at Syracuse and that we need to see some of those expectations met over the next 2-3 seasons or changes maybe mandated.

I used to love firing coaches as the answer. I don't love it so much anymore. Maybe I've grown up. Not sure what it solves. This is not SEC football. I have been coaching a lot of youth club lacrosse the past 3 years. It's really friggin hard. Gait, LOL. He got his butt handed to him. Lars Tiffany would be cool, but that ship has sailed.

That said, you cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different results. His assistants have been around forever. Some legacy assistants seem to have ceremonial positions. What do they all do exactly? Where is the hunger? If it's still there, then by all means don't change anything.

Would love to see Desko be more cutting edge like Danowski and ND are about the social media side of coaching lacrosse. That stuff matters.

CNY lacrosse still seems to be pretty darn good. Cannizarro, anyone? Thompsons, anyone? Zach Miller? Hello?!? They are still good. That's not the problem. The problem is they are just not all coming here.

Need more BIG Canadian box players on offense. Would love to have us some Cloutier. Too many smurfs. Love 'em, but you need the size.

What I find frustrating is our laziness with our sticks. This is where I am concerned about the coaching. So many times our guys are just trying to do basic stuff like roll away from pressure and work the ball around, and we are not protecting our sticks, and Towson was just chopping it away. The sloppiness reminds me of the horrible and sloppy passing and turnovers that preceded our fall from 22 straight final fours grace. If you cannot recruit the best of the best, then you need to coach a bit more discipline and fundamentals.

I read the scouting report on Towson, and got an immediate sinking feeling. Big tough, D. Gonna pack it in close, and force you to shoot from distance. I knew we were doomed. Just plays in to our weakness. Did anyone else feel this way?

I'm thinking back to the 'wake up call' posts and sentiments post the Colgate close call and UNC loss. LOL. Like someone else said, we were unfortunately living on borrowed time. Frustrating, but it is what it is. It all goes back to recruiting. Some teams get Matt Rambo, and Matt Rambo pans out. Some don't.

Nice to come on here and commiserate with like minded folks.
this was possibly your best post ever.

and you have 10s of thousands.

now, go away for another 5 years and your next one is sure to be even better...

I wouldn't fire Desko if the administration pushed him to retire who are you hiring as the next coach?

That is the key question here "who are you hiring as the next coach?"Lets say we did fire Desko; good luck trying to find a new coach as good or better.There's no question he's a very good coach.

That is the key question here "who are you hiring as the next coach?"Lets say we did fire Desko; good luck trying to find a new coach as good or better.There's no question he's a very good coach.
Lax is a non-revenue sport and the guy has 5 NCs. We can't fire him.

He has to know to retire if the program is slipping. We aren't slipping yet but I would like a little fresh blood on the staff. Just to charge up the program. Not sure which assistant I would replace because I don't even know who the assistants are if they were standing in front of me.

Lax is a non-revenue sport and the guy has 5 NCs. We can't fire him.

He has to know to retire if the program is slipping. We aren't slipping yet but I would like a little fresh blood on the staff. Just to charge up the program. Not sure which assistant I would replace because I don't even know who the assistants are if they were standing in front of me.
We were the #2 seed in the tournament this year. I don't fire a coach after that.

We were the #2 seed in the tournament this year. I don't fire a coach after that.
I was saying short of a scandal with 5 NCs we can't fire him for any performance reason. He has earned that.

If the program struggled I am sure he would resign.

I don't want Desko gone. I was advocating just an infusion of youth or change on the staff.

I was saying short of a scandal with 5 NCs we can't hire him for any performance reason. He has earned that.

If the program struggled I am sure he would resign.

I don't want Desko gone. I was advocating just an infusion of youth or change on the staff.
I know. But we are talking about someones job. How they feed their family. We don't fire someone after the season we just had because we lost one game in the tournament. At least I don't.

I know. But we are talking about someones job. How they feed their family. We don't fire someone after the season we just had because we lost one game in the tournament. At least I don't.
I think most agree with you here.

Most.