I... AM... VALIDATED! | Syracusefan.com

I... AM... VALIDATED!

humiliating opponets is expected from some programs

It's necessary as long as the human element still weighs in the BCS standings. If you're not in the SEC you better beat the hell out everyone to make noise. As soon as preseason polls are released the BCS game is SEC winner vs highest ranked from everyone else.

That's what I like about SU- we don't run up the score. :)

I wish we could. :confused:

humiliating opponets is expected from some programs
It's necessary as long as the human element still weighs in the BCS standings. If you're not in the SEC you better beat the hell out everyone to make noise. As soon as preseason polls are released the BCS game is SEC winner vs highest ranked from everyone else.
I think there's more to it than that actually. Coaches are figuring out that there are ways to play the game that allow for winning with comfort, so why even risk a close game?

Some are going to accuse me and say that my statement above is a thinly veiled attempt to take another shot at Marrone's choice of offense. I want to be clear, this is no such thing. It's a clearly labeled and obvious attempt to take another shot at Marrone's choice of offense.

Sometimes it's really admirable to not follow the crowd and not do what everyone else is doing and just be your own man. I don't think this is one of those times.

Superior overall talent and execution allow some such luxuries. We aren't there yet unfortunately. If we had guys make plays more consistantly the play calling wouldnt look as bad. If we called plays that netted more yards per play we wouldnt need to be quite as consistant. Right now we do neither for long stretches and the end result is pleasing to nobody.

Following the RU vs Navy game in a 3 play time frame there were 2 situations where Marrone went conservative, that we hated, but in contrast looks smart now.

Navy 4th an goal from the 1 went for it and got stuffed. No points. Next play Rutgers runs for 2 yards and have the ball on their own 5. Next play, pass which resulted in a pick 6 going the other way.

I'm in no way a fan, or advocating conservitive play calling but seeing the alternative backfiring in big ways i can at least understand the logic behind it a bit more.

Hopefully, in upcoming years, we can be an offensvie juggernaut like Wisconsin capable of hanging 60 on most teams. Also hope we would still be the bigger man at that point and take our foot off the gas at 40 if up by 3+ scores.

Superior overall talent and execution allow some such luxuries. We aren't there yet unfortunately. If we had guys make plays more consistantly the play calling wouldnt look as bad. If we called plays that netted more yards per play we wouldnt need to be quite as consistant. Right now we do neither for long stretches and the end result is pleasing to nobody.

Following the RU vs Navy game in a 3 play time frame there were 2 situations where Marrone went conservative, that we hated, but in contrast looks smart now.

Navy 4th an goal from the 1 went for it and got stuffed. No points. Next play Rutgers runs for 2 yards and have the ball on their own 5. Next play, pass which resulted in a pick 6 going the other way.

I'm in no way a fan, or advocating conservitive play calling but seeing the alternative backfiring in big ways i can at least understand the logic behind it a bit more.

Hopefully, in upcoming years, we can be an offensvie juggernaut like Wisconsin capable of hanging 60 on most teams. Also hope we would still be the bigger man at that point and take our foot off the gas at 40 if up by 3+ scores.

Really big scores are as much the fault of the lsoer as the winner. "Rolling it up" has more to do with making a close game look like a rout than turning a blow-out into a bigger blow out. I still remember the '74 game at Penn State where we shocked them by taking a 14-3 lead. They took over and were ahead 30-14 in the final mintue when JoPa kept calling time-outs and throwing deep, trying to get an extra touchdown to make it look like it had never been close. He wasn't comping with us. He was competing with Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, etc.

I disagree. Those moves don't look smart now, and I still hate them.

Navy made the right call to go for it on 4th and goal at the one. The outcome doesn't change that. It's the right call every time.

I just cannot advocate for coaching decisions made "in case something backfires." Everything can backfire. Coach for the best outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom