i cannot believe that charge call | Syracusefan.com

i cannot believe that charge call

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
i was at a xmas party friday nite, when i checked the score and saw we lost i didnt bother watching a replay or the highlights. just watched the highlights now and that call was absolutely INEXCUSABLE!!! AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!!!

ive said this many times before, the charge call is the worst call in college basketball. the ONLY time it should ever be called a charge is if its an obvious charge. like if the offensive player is out of control and just barrels into a defender and throws up a wild shot that has no chance of going in.

i cant believe how bad that call was. worse than the cj fair charge against duke. worse than the triche charge in the f4. it was a secondary defender, he was leaning back before contact, brisset kind of angles his body to his right to avoid direct contact with the defender, and he makes the shot. ive always said if the player is under control and makes the shot it should NEVER be a charge. youre literally penalizing a player for doing what the object of the game is, TO PUT THE BALL IN THE BASKET!!! youre penalizing a guy who makes a great athletic drive and finish, and rewarding a guy for literally STANDING STILL! such a bs move by the defender, let me try and sneak in and flop instead of going up strong and trying to block the shot. and to top it off, the ref makes that call with the game on the line. how the does he do that????

how many times are we gonna get f'ed by awful charge calls??? even the ohio state elite 8 game we got called for a ridiculous charge in the 1st half that should have been an and 1 and completely changed the momentum of that 1st half.

not to mention that non-charge call vs MSU in the sweet 16 when Mateen Cleaves plows into jason hart and then dishes to someone for a dunk. that is exactly the type of call that would have shifted the momentum on their crazy run

the only significant block/charge call I can remember going our way was one vs Kansas in the Elite 8 in Denver where we had a big first half lead, Jayhawks come out gunz blazin' in the second half and momentum completely shifts when they get called for a charge instead of an and 1 for them.

not to mention that non-charge call vs MSU in the sweet 16 when Mateen Cleaves plows into jason hart and then dishes to someone for a dunk. that is exactly the type of call that would have shifted the momentum on their crazy run

the only significant block/charge call I can remember going our way was one vs Kansas in the Elite 8 in Denver where we had a big first half lead, Jayhawks come out gunz blazin' in the second half and momentum completely shifts when they get called for a charge instead of an and 1 for them.

There was one just last week in the G'town game that may have altered the game. I think it's human nature to only remember the calls that go against someone.

Well, Brissett did make the layup that should have given us the lead with ~11 seconds to go.

9 game minutes. TERRIBLE shooting. The game doesn't come down to that one play.

Doesn’t excuse terrible officiating. The Bills game didn’t come down to one play either yesterday, but calls can significantly alter games.

syracuse didnt play well. teams are allowed to win games when they dont play well. we made a play at the end to win the game and the refs made an embarassing call against us. you can always play the "what if" game looking at plays you could have made earlier in the game. bottom line is we should have been winning with 10 seconds left.

i was at a xmas party friday nite, when i checked the score and saw we lost i didnt bother watching a replay or the highlights. just watched the highlights now and that call was absolutely INEXCUSABLE!!! AN ABSOLUTE JOKE!!!!!

ive said this many times before, the charge call is the worst call in college basketball. the ONLY time it should ever be called a charge is if its an obvious charge. like if the offensive player is out of control and just barrels into a defender and throws up a wild shot that has no chance of going in.

i cant believe how bad that call was. worse than the cj fair charge against duke. worse than the triche charge in the f4. it was a secondary defender, he was leaning back before contact, brisset kind of angles his body to his right to avoid direct contact with the defender, and he makes the shot. ive always said if the player is under control and makes the shot it should NEVER be a charge. youre literally penalizing a player for doing what the object of the game is, TO PUT THE BALL IN THE BASKET!!! youre penalizing a guy who makes a great athletic drive and finish, and rewarding a guy for literally STANDING STILL! such a bs move by the defender, let me try and sneak in and flop instead of going up strong and trying to block the shot. and to top it off, the ref makes that call with the game on the line. how the does he do that????

how many times are we gonna get 'ed by awful charge calls??? even the ohio state elite 8 game we got called for a ridiculous charge in the 1st half that should have been an and 1 and completely changed the momentum of that 1st half.
I have a top shelf of bad calls and the cj charge, triche charge and OB charge are all in there.

I have a top shelf of bad calls and the cj charge, triche charge and OB charge are all in there.
These are at the top of my list too but that Michigan game was particularly brutal. We had a charge on tim hardaway jr where he extended his arm into mcw called a block which was mcw's 4th. Then he got his fifth and fouled out on another ticky tacky call. All in the final minute I think. Even with all that and without mcw, we were only down two when Triche drove. Ugh.

Also, the terrible Cooney out if bounds call eventhough we ended up winning.

But enough of those great memories. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

When I was a soccer ref it was drilled into our heads, DO NOT make questionable/borderline calls that determine the game if at all possible. Err on the side of conservative - not many penalty kick are called during the course of a game so if you call one that determines the outcome of a close game you better make sure you are 100% sure of your call. Equating that to basketball, that charge better be pretty obvious if you're going to call it and that one clearly wasn't.

That said, SU had plenty of chances to win but simply played poorly overall. They shouldn't have been in a situation where an incompetent ref could determine the outcome like that. I really didn't think SBU was all that good just that SU had a bad night, typical for a young team

syracuse didnt play well. teams are allowed to win games when they dont play well. we made a play at the end to win the game and the refs made an embarassing call against us. you can always play the "what if" game looking at plays you could have made earlier in the game. bottom line is we should have been winning with 10 seconds left.

And I understand the what if game is dangerous but I'm talking about their shooting for the entire game, and a 9 minute stretch of game time. I believe the call was wrong and I absolutely hate when players take those type of "charges" but I am way more concerned moving forward with SU's lack of shooting/scoring than I am about officiating.

There was one just last week in the G'town game that may have altered the game. I think it's human nature to only remember the calls that go against someone.

That play happened right in front of me. All the SU fans around me were like "oh crap, we caught a break there." We probably don't win the game without that call.

If that call, and then waiving off the foul at the end of regulation had went against Syracuse as opposed to helping us and we ended up losing, this board would have been in complete and utter meltdown mode. There would be conspiracy theories re: the refs helping Ewing, etc. etc.

When a controversial call helps you, you say "ok cool" and forget it 2 seconds later. When a controversial call hurts you, you obsess over it. It's just the nature of sports fandom.

Last edited:
It's the same story that's been going on for years. Syracuse shoots like 25% from the floor. But a ref makes the wrong choice on a charge/block call and the refs decided the game!

And I understand the what if game is dangerous but I'm talking about their shooting for the entire game, and a 9 minute stretch of game time. I believe the call was wrong and I absolutely hate when players take those type of "charges" but I am way more concerned moving forward with SU's lack of shooting/scoring than I am about officiating.

You and a few others are missing the point. The people who are complaining about charges in general want the rule completely changed to make it a lot harder for defenses to draw charges. Kind of like the NBA.

You and a few others are missing the point. The people who are complaining about charges in general want the rule completely changed to make it a lot harder for defenses to draw charges. Kind of like the NBA.

No i get it. The block/charge is maybe the worst foul/penalty in sports IMO.

But to the OP's post ... I hate the call, it was terrible... but watching the full game - we should have never been in that position in the first place. The officiating was terrible but at the end of the day we have got to play better regardless. ACC play is right around the corner and like I said I am way more concerned with our play than the officiating.