i cannot believe that charge call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i cannot believe that charge call

The call sucked ... but we shot 30% and 15.8% from 3
Bona didn't score from the 7:16 all the way to 3:16 in OT... That is 9 MINUTES of game time.

That charge was phony but we did nothing to win that game.
We did plenty (not nothing) to win that game, and you just cited some of it—held them to zero field goals for 8 minutes and like 15 total points in the second half. The press created turnovers and we came back from 13 points down. Brissett made a great move to the hoop and hit the shot, but the refs made a terrible call. We did a lot to win that game, poor shooting aside.

Last edited:
It's the same story that's been going on for years. Syracuse shoots like 25% from the floor. But a ref makes the wrong choice on a charge/block call and the refs decided the game!
How often has Syracuse shot 25% from the floor? You may think it happens all that time because you’re an irrational fan, but it’s a rarity.

How often has Syracuse shot 25% from the floor? You may think it happens all that time because you’re an irrational fan, but it’s a rarity.

Because I'm in fact pretty rational I'll revise that "25 percent." We shot about 41 percent vs Michigan in the final four, 38 percent (lol) vs Duke in Cameron in 2014, and 30 percent (LOL) on Friday. Those are, um, not very good percentages. So while I empathize and I agree that the refs are not good , sorry But I see larger, more concerning issues than a ref making a bad call.

No. Don't care. Stop. I'm tired of shiz officiating being excused.
I yearn for a time (which will probably never come) when the NCAA will show the stones to do what the NBA has done in reviewing calls and then announcing mistakes a day or so later. Just like how they announced this week that the officials missed a couple of late fouls that Durant committed on Lebron at the end of the Warriors/Cavs game.

Refs are humans who are trained and experienced, but the game is filled with monster athletes moving at incredible speed, so I understand that mistakes are going to happen on all sorts of calls or non-calls. But the charge/block thing has become such a problem that I think they need to (1) change the rule to bar secondary defenders from getting in the way and/or create a default presumption against a charge (like another poster said--only on a clear pushoff (like Marek did) or when someone's barreling out of control like Darryl freaking Dawkins blowing through some dude on purpose), and (2) ratchet up the penalty for players who flop, just like they finally did in soccer (thank God) by handling out yellow cards for simulation. Duke would probably never see the Top 25 again, but that's a consequence I'm willing to live with.

It's the same story that's been going on for years. Syracuse shoots like 25% from the floor. But a ref makes the wrong choice on a charge/block call and the refs decided the game!

such a dumb take. so if the team shoots a low % the first 35 minutes of the game (remember the other team is playing defense, you expect them to shoot a high % every game?) why bother playing the last 5 minutes? after all they shot poorly most of the game so they dont deserve to win.

such a dumb take. so if the team shoots a low % the first 35 minutes of the game (remember the other team is playing defense, you expect them to shoot a high % every game?) why bother playing the last 5 minutes? after all they shot poorly most of the game so they dont deserve to win.

That...doesn't sound like what I said. Like at all.

I yearn for a time (which will probably never come) when the NCAA will show the stones to do what the NBA has done in reviewing calls and then announcing mistakes a day or so later. Just like how they announced this week that the officials missed a couple of late fouls that Durant committed on Lebron at the end of the Warriors/Cavs game.

Refs are humans who are trained and experienced, but the game is filled with monster athletes moving at incredible speed, so I understand that mistakes are going to happen on all sorts of calls or non-calls. But the charge/block thing has become such a problem that I think they need to (1) change the rule to bar secondary defenders from getting in the way and/or create a default presumption against a charge (like another poster said--only on a clear pushoff (like Marek did) or when someone's barreling out of control like Darryl freaking Dawkins blowing through some dude on purpose), and (2) ratchet up the penalty for players who flop, just like they finally did in soccer (thank God) by handling out yellow cards for simulation. Duke would probably never see the Top 25 again, but that's a consequence I'm willing to live with.

If the NBA called offensive fouls the way the NCAA does, Lebron would never see the 4th quarter of a game, let alone the end. Time for some serious changes to college hoops...

how many times are we gonna get 'ed by awful charge calls??? even the ohio state elite 8 game we got called for a ridiculous charge in the 1st half that should have been an and 1 and completely changed the momentum of that 1st half.

I've posted many times that the charge/block call is one of the biggest problems with CBB. Not getting charge/block calls right is probably one of the biggest problems facing CBB that really turns people off to the game. If the NCAA were not worthless, this would be a high priority. Should be 50 videos on the NCAA website showing exactly what is charge and what is NOT a charge. But the NCAA is worthless. I just can't stand that the referees how so much power in deciding the outcome of a game. You would think getting the officials to understand the rules would be the NCAA's highest priority.

That...doesn't sound like what I said. Like at all.

lets say we shot 50% for the game and the ref made that same awful call at the end, would we be allowed to blame the refs?

theres more to basketball than shooting %, just because a team shoots bad doesnt mean they dont deserve to win.

lets say we shot 50% for the game and the ref made that same awful call at the end, would we be allowed to blame the refs?

theres more to basketball than shooting %, just because a team shoots bad doesnt mean they dont deserve to win.

If we shot 50 percent and lost I'd be willing to bet that there was something else we did or didn't do that contributed to that's loss than a blown call.

As bad as that call was, the worst non call was the fast break where battle got fouled and lost the ball out of bounds. Had two hands on the ball as he started to go up when the defender raked his left arm and of course he’s going to drop it.

No i get it. The block/charge is maybe the worst foul/penalty in sports IMO.

But to the OP's post ... I hate the call, it was terrible... but watching the full game - we should have never been in that position in the first place. The officiating was terrible but at the end of the day we have got to play better regardless. ACC play is right around the corner and like I said I am way more concerned with our play than the officiating.

The bottom line is that a borderline call like that should not determine the outcome of a game. Anything that looks like a possible flop that late should be ignored. It should be a no-call, play on.

As bad as that call was, the worst non call was the fast break where battle got fouled and lost the ball out of bounds. Had two hands on the ball as he started to go up when the defender raked his left arm and of course he’s going to drop it.

That was brutal. It didn't seem possible to make that play without fouling him and it was very obvious on the replay he got him on the arm.