I can't imagine | Syracusefan.com

I can't imagine

Tornado91

Walk On
why the school wouldn't do everything it could to increase student participation on game days. Thursday's student turnout and involvement was awesome, probably in no small part due to free freshmen tickets. What are the chances a policy like that is extended to other home games?

I heard a rumor on Thursday that there is talk that in 2012 the university will charge all the students a flat fee as part of there tuition and giving them free admission to football games with a student id on a first come first serve basis. I think its a great idea !!!

I even decided to fire off an e-mail to AD Gross telling him that its the students who create a great atmosphere in the dome and he should just give them free admission to all the football games next year. The university would make thir money back in concession sales alone. 90% of the students were drinking beer, soda, water, or eating food at the game on Thursday night.

Shame. Not sure how much student ticket revenue means to the ad's or university's bottom line, but a large and involved student section transforms a stadium. In theory, that could improve the experience enough to increase non-student attendance.

I heard a rumor on Thursday that there is talk that in 2012 the university will charge all the students a flat fee as part of there tuition and giving them free admission to football games with a student id on a first come first serve basis. I think its a great idea !!!

Raise tuition by $100 and they'll never know the difference.

I thinking raising the tuition by $100 is the way to go. That way it gives any student on campus the opportunity to attend a game at no cost. I went to the Penn State game and they had a seperate entrance for the students and all they had to do was show their student ID.

I thinking raising the tuition by $100 is the way to go. That way it gives any student on campus the opportunity to attend a game at no cost. I went to the Penn State game and they had a seperate entrance for the students and all they had to do was show their student ID.
I agree with this, and this is what I posted on the "student turnout" thread:

I agree regarding the view through the administration's eyes. On the other hand, if they don't give them out for free, they are pretty much guaranteed to be empty seats anyways. By letting 5k students in the game for free, it will only make it that much more exciting for the other fans in the Dome, and it will look way better on TV. If people watching at home on TV see that kind of excitement, I think it would certainly spur more interest to actually attend the games versus watching on TV. Just my simple 2 cents.

Just asked my brother-in-law, a recent VaTech grad, how much he paid. Games were $7-8, seasons were around $50-70. Similar for my wife, who went to Michigan (albeit, around 10 years ago). Like GoCuse wrote, I think students get in for free at Penn State.

The thing at Syracuse is, it's not like those seats are being taken from anyone. There's never been a time during which tickets were in too high of demand. The only loss is the actual ticket values of those students who would otherwise purchase them. To gain is better atmosphere, increase in concessions (not sure how much of that- if any- goes to SU), and the possibility that the above improves the atmosphere and draws more non-students.

On the other hand it also might mean for games like RI there may be 100 students in the house as they made no commitment to show up.. i would tier it.. offer really cheap like $25 package for kids to be assured they got the prime locations and then let anyone else in for free in the upper decks.. I know the kids up by us were pissed that the freshmen got in free in and they had paid and had to sit up stairs..

offer an incentive to show up early to the kids to fill those sections up as well.

Good point. First come, first serve works well when the demand is high (ie duke basketball).