I can't recall a SU hoops game I've felt this negative about | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I can't recall a SU hoops game I've felt this negative about

It's the fact they just got done rolling Duke and Florida State.
Impressive for sure, though Duke had to throw out their entire game plan after 40 seconds and FSU is basically UNC but less talented.

We are the ultimate wild card road team this year, but I bet we see good Syracuse on Tuesday. This past week has been encouraging in that this team is playing with maximum effort despite their limitations.

Our bigs can hold their own on the boards. I think we finally have a game where Hughes, Battle, Frank, and Buddy are hitting their threes. Need it from Hughes especially. He’s due to get hot. We’re due to beat these goons. We used to have success against Roy because he doesn’t slow the game down, so we could run. It’s time to get running, and create easy shots.

I think there must be a huge let down after losing on Saturday

I'd think the same if we had played well and lost. We really didn't play that well against Duke though.

UNC has our number and should rightfully be a near double digit favorite, but I have a weird feeling that we're going to pull out a W tomorrow. And I haven't been optimistic about this team at all this season.

No expectations and a 9pm game that isn't on TV. I bet we win since noone will see it.

Can't wait for the ladies game tonight that should be a great one and IS on TV!

No expectations and a 9pm game that isn't on TV. I bet we win since noone will see it.

Can't wait for the ladies game tonight that should be a great one and IS on TV!

I’ve been to two women’s games the last two years. Both were great basketball fan experiences. Easy to get great seats. They played an uptempo entertaining style of ball, shot and passed the ball well, hustled, and there were no TV timeouts.

For what it's worth... UNC is not as strong an offensive rebounding team as they've been in recent years, and they rely a little more on the 3-pt shot this year than they have in the past. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Zone and Boeheim's in-game adjustments will be more effective this year than they've been since we joined the ACC.

So... Which of their players is going to shoot lights out on fire from three?... And secure another career high point tally??

If Maye is allowed to catch passes around the FT line, we have no chance. RJ Barrett just destroyed us there and Maye would do the same. Our guards absolutely must cut off the passing lanes and limit drives. If not, we lose by 25 and it'll be a mess. UNC is simply a terrible matchup for us, especially now that they have some shooting.

If Maye is allowed to catch passes around the FT line, we have no chance. RJ Barrett just destroyed us there and Maye would do the same. Our guards absolutely must cut off the passing lanes and limit drives. If not, we lose by 25 and it'll be a mess. UNC is simply a terrible matchup for us, especially now that they have some shooting.

I agree. And this is why -- though I'm not trying to turn this into one of those threads -- I'd send Carey out there with "be cool, don't turn the ball over, play like a demon on defense" instructions if Howard's immobile and Buddy's running around in cement shoes like we saw on Saturday night. Forget about offense, Syracuse is going to have huge problems if Battle's forced to play alongside a guard who can't deny the high post while getting out on shooters and cutting off penetration.

This version of UNC is not the same as the last 3-4 years. New formula. They are highly skilled, but their brute force up front is not as impactful as previous seasons. Luke Maye is again going to be an issue. Our best hope is that Coby struggles with the zone. Play Tuesday's game 10 times and we win 2 or 3 times.
Agree. ESPN gives us a 10.1% chance to win Tuesday. This UNC team is not like the others in recent past -- no huge guys who simply beat the crap out of teams under the basket. No All-American PG who would kill us from 3 point line. I fear Cameron Johnson more than anyone else on the UNC team. He's a lot better than Duke's O'Connell who killed us on Saturday. Hopefully our centers will control Maye. I expect us to be a double-digit underdog.

I feel great every time Syracuse plays UNC with these two coaches.

Unfortunately I'm like 1 for 7 in recent years. But that's bound to change. And I like our chances tonight.

I think JB is a better coach, but I'll never forget the game that proved to me once and for all the talent gap between the blue bloods and everyone else, and that a talent disparity will always beat good execution. That was the Kansas tournament beat down in Damone's Sr year. It was over from the tip.

This is also a game where Colby White looks at the zone and goes 3-22. Hopefully.

More worried about Maye and Cam Johnson launching from deep.

Maye and Johnson leaving after this year will be a god send, I don't care who they have lined up to replace them, its a win for us.

I think JB is a better coach, but I'll never forget the game that proved to me once and for all the talent gap between the blue bloods and everyone else, and that a talent disparity will always beat good execution. That was the Kansas tournament beat down in Damone's Sr year. It was over from the tip.
Kenny Gregory. And others.

That was memorable. Other than Kentucky in Alaska in 1996, I've never seen a Syracuse team so outclassed.

Syracuse is going to have huge problems if Battle's forced to play alongside a guard who can't deny the high post while getting out on shooters and cutting off penetration.

That’s easier said than done. Battle has problems too, not because he’s doing something wrong, just because it’s the nature of the defense. People used to get mad at Triche, then Cooney for the same stuff. Even though JB changes it up some, usually the weak side guard drops to the foul line. If the other team is doing a good job of rotating the ball and/or using skip passes it’s not easy going from the foul line and getting into a shooters face. It’s almost always we just fly at the shooter. It’s why we push up the forward often to get to the wing shooter, which leaves that corner open. But then we have the center go out to the corner shooter which isn’t easy either, although Dolezaj is pretty good at it. Then the weak side forward drops to the middle when the center flies to the corner. It’s 5 guys moving together, but you have to credit the other team if they attach it well. The ball will move faster than any player. But we do a good job typically and why the zone has been so successful.

I think we've only beaten them once - in our first season in the ACC - in conference play.
Didn't we beat them once when we were in the Big East? If I recall correctly, it was a down year for a lot of Power 5 schools and we beat several big names

SU has no chance at Chapel Hill. UNC has owned SU since the Orangemen moved to the ACC. I think it will be a repeat of the other games where their linebacker front line will push our beanpoles around and one of their guards will bomb 3's. I have that GERG era football feeling when it comes to this game. With the late start I can bail at halftime if it goes the way I think it will.
Call me Davey and get my sling shot. Never concede

Didn't we beat them once when we were in the Big East? If I recall correctly, it was a down year for a lot of Power 5 schools and we beat several big names

Yes early season Tournament in Rautins Senior year, Blasted them pretty good. SU beat Rutty in football in Marrone's first year 2 days later. It was a great SU weekend.

Shumpert was basically blind in one eye.

SU has no chance at Chapel Hill. UNC has owned SU since the Orangemen moved to the ACC. I think it will be a repeat of the other games where their linebacker front line will push our beanpoles around and one of their guards will bomb 3's. I have that GERG era football feeling when it comes to this game. With the late start I can bail at halftime if it goes the way I think it will.
1551126415747.jpeg

Ugh I forgot this one was a 9 p.m. game. Gonna be a rough 5:30 a.m. flight the next day. Hope they make it worth it.

Agree. ESPN gives us a 10.1% chance to win Tuesday. This UNC team is not like the others in recent past -- no huge guys who simply beat the crap out of teams under the basket. No All-American PG who would kill us from 3 point line. I fear Cameron Johnson more than anyone else on the UNC team. He's a lot better than Duke's O'Connell who killed us on Saturday. Hopefully our centers will control Maye. I expect us to be a double-digit underdog.

With all due respect, Coby White is the PG from UNC who when he's hot, is almost as hot as Cam Johnson from the 3pt range, holds the all time scoring record in the state of North Carolina and was a top 25 recruit. 1st team All-American also.

I agree. And this is why -- though I'm not trying to turn this into one of those threads -- I'd send Carey out there with "be cool, don't turn the ball over, play like a demon on defense" instructions if Howard's immobile and Buddy's running around in cement shoes like we saw on Saturday night. Forget about offense, Syracuse is going to have huge problems if Battle's forced to play alongside a guard who can't deny the high post while getting out on shooters and cutting off penetration.
I think Carey will get some run tomorrow night, and if he doesn't play his way back to bench with some early mistakes, he could really impact the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom