I don't get this...re: JB's presser and the SU press | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't get this...re: JB's presser and the SU press

That is not what JB said.

You are either making that up or what JB actually said is too nuanced for you to understand.
JB has said that when asked about players playing 36-38 minutes a game. His philosophy is that with the amount of time outs each team has and the television time outs then the players get plenty of rest.

JB has said that when asked about players playing 36-38 minutes a game. His philosophy is that with the amount of time outs each team has and the television time outs then the players get plenty of rest.

Well, that's right. Under normal game conditions, he believes they are not tired because all the stoppages of play which allow them a significant amount of recovery time. And he is standing there with them at these breaks and is in a good position to see who is breathing harder than they should linger than they should and who is manifesting other signs of fatigue.

But then what does he say about the Press and its affect on players? (Hint: He does not say that the press used a great deal doesn't tire them.)

That's what I find objectionable, unfair and innacurate about Iommi's post. He took JB's statement about player's in normal game circumstances and extended it to the Press. JB never said the Press used beyond sparingly didn't tire players to the point where their performance would have been affected. He said the opposite when he discussed using the Press.

In other words, our guys don't get tired. Very "nuanced.":rolleyes:

See above response.

I'll stick with my characterization of your post. "unfair and innaccurate". In my view it was essentially a cheap shot.

When JB was talking about players not getting tired, he was not talking about the press. He was talking about the normal game circumstance.

See above response.

I'll stick with my characterization of your post. "unfair and innaccurate". In my view it was essentially a cheap shot.

When JB was talking about players not getting tired, he was not talking about the press. He was talking about the normal game circumstance.

All I wanted was the press used for barely two more minutes than we did. As is your modus operandi, you look to pick a fight where I wasn't trying to create one because you think JB can do no wrong and his tactics are not open to scrutiny. I wasn't taking a cheap shot at JB. I was saying he should've put on the press two minutes earlier. If you feel I miscategorized his statements about fatigue, playing time, and the use of the press, that was not my intention.

I criticize the coach when I feel it is warranted. I don't take cheap shots.

Your act is tired but it was never of any value to begin with.

All I wanted was the press used for barely two more minutes than we did. As is your modus operandi, you look to pick a fight where I wasn't trying to create one because you think JB can do no wrong and his tactics are not open to scrutiny. I wasn't taking a cheap shot at JB. I was saying he should've put on the press two minutes earlier. If you feel I miscategorized his statements about fatigue, playing time, and the use of the press, that was not my intention.

I criticize the coach when I feel it is warranted. I don't take cheap shots.

Your act is tired but it was never of any value to begin with.

I don't know what your "intention" was.

I do know what you posted.

Ridiculous and essentially unanswerable question.
Why is it a rridiculous question? As to "essentially unanswerable" of course it is an answerable question.
My answer is that Jim did not coach well against ND but that he did coach well against Virginia. So ill ask again. How do you think he coached the last two games?

In other words, our guys don't get tired. Very "nuanced.":rolleyes:

I think that's different. I would interpret his position to be they don't get tired playing that much playing the style we play. If we played an all out pressing style over the entire game, I suspect JB's position would change. This point is not intended to be in response to the question why we didn't press at 4 minutes. That is a short enough span that I don't think that decision was made because the players were too tired. More likely concern over fouling out one or our two true offensive threats.

I think that's different. I would interpret his position to be they don't get tired playing that much playing the style we play. If we played an all out pressing style over the entire game, I suspect JB's position would change. This point is not intended to be in response to the question why we didn't press at 4 minutes. That is a short enough span that I don't think that decision was made because the players were too tired. More likely concern over fouling out one or our two true offensive threats.
Absolutely. Or as previously mentioned the possibility of giving up easy baskets. Four minutes to go, in a rwo possession game, by no means is it a slam dunk. Had nothing to do with fatigue.

Right but I never advocated pressing all game and yes, JB's position obviously would change if we pressed all game.

Basing this on memory, but didn't Boeheim say in the post game after Virginia that if we pressed all game we would lose by 32?

We did not. Moyer made the second FT at 3:57 (or thereabouts) and we went back and set up the zone. I had discussions on Twitter about it.
You’re right. I now remember thinking he needed to set it up after that Moyer free throw or even before that. JB can be a very conservative strategist. He’s always afraid of what can go wrong and hates giving up easy baskets. But you end up not taking risks that can help you pull off upsets. The Gtown game should have showed him that this team can play through giving up a few easy baskets and eventually get some turnovers and swing momentum. Against a top 10 team like Virginia, he needs to be willing to take risks—it may be the only way to win. what do you have to lose? The press is how West Virginia always beats UVA, and Louisville’s press has also had success against them. They speed them up and make Virginia play at their tempo. That said, I understand we can’t do it for long stretches because of our depth issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom