I don't know the right answer | Syracusefan.com

I don't know the right answer

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
but will be interested to see what we do offensively vs USC. Do we stay no huddle and get in as many plays as possible and basically try to win a shoot out. Or, do we slow things down some, use clock, and try to minimize the number of plays for USC.

No best answer IMO, so I'll be curious to see what happens.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Stay no huddle, run as many plays as possible, make a few plays on d, and hope for some luck. No reason to change the offense from this past NW game. If you lose, you lose, it's the best team in the country. Keeping the no huddle shows you're in this offensive mindset for the long haul.

but will be interested to see what we do offensively vs USC. Do we stay no huddle and get in as many plays as possible and basically try to win a shoot out. Or, do we slow things down some, use clock, and try to minimize the number of plays for USC.

USC is going to score no matter what we do. We might as well toe the line and throw a haymaker back.

No huddle, balls out, time to punch them in the mouth.

It's a good question and will be interesting to see how we play it. I would like to see us continue to force the issue and get more comfortable in running the no-huddle. It will benefit us down the road as we go through the season. The chances of us actually winning this game are pretty close to zero so let's go down swinging.

I think from a recruiting perspective, we need to stay as up-tempo as possible. Keep it exciting and hope we can get lucky on D a few times.

Stick with the new offence. Win or go down with guns a' blazin. Instead of laying up and kicking field goals in the red zone, go for it on 3 yard 4th downs.

Hope they stay with the no huddle.

We can win this game.

Score is 0-0. Go Orange!

Best chance to win the game; Slow it down, because odds are not in our favor we need to decrease the sample size of plays similar to how Jimbo is upset in the winter. (we are seldom outrun to an upset)

Best chance to win more games during the season; Play our game, be aggressive and hope for the best.

I think the second option is the one i would choose since we have a 1% chance of winning this game and we need as many reps in our new offense as possible to have the greatest med/long term success.

Run the offense you plan on running for the rest of the season. Team seems good enough to give mostly anyone their best shot and not need any sort of gimmick O to win ala Rutgers and that "wild knight" formation a few years back.

"No best answer IMO, so I'll be curious to see what happens."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fwiw my end of summer bold prediction:
" this was no boating accident!!!"

Stay with the uptempo offense...if nothing else you get to run it against superior athletes.

Stay no huddle, run as many plays as possible, make a few plays on d, and hope for some luck. No reason to change the offense from this past NW game. If you lose, you lose, it's the best team in the country. Keeping the no huddle shows you're in this offensive mindset for the long haul.
100% right. Besides, the only chance Cuse has to win is to win turnovers and special teams. Unless of course, Marrone has some hocus/pocus in him. Any chance the Cuse vs Nebraska game is on TV this week. Would love to see that game again.

I'd like to see a bit more throttle control in the USC game. Stay in the no huddle to keep the defense set and unable to substitute, but move the throttle fast and slow as need be. Although USC is clearly more talented than SU in just about every single position, the scholarship reductions have made the backups quite "green."

I think we need to force USC to substitute players early and often, i.e. force the tempo. They have far better players as starters than as backups. We're the deepest we've been in many years, as shown against NW. Let's use them.

I think we use up more time and keep the ball more in the no huddle. Nassib is a totally different quarterback when we play at that speed than when we...slow...things...down...

You can use the no huddle, thus keeping the USC team from substituting, and still use a significant portion of the play clock. Would love to see two 7+ minute TD drives in the first quarter with a 3-out by USC sandwiched in between. You tire out their defensive line by forcing them to stay in their stance for 25+ seconds at a time, then going super quick etc.

I'd like to see a bit more throttle control in the USC game. Stay in the no huddle to keep the defense set and unable to substitute, but move the throttle fast and slow as need be. Although USC is clearly more talented than SU in just about every single position, the scholarship reductions have made the backups quite "green."

Exactly

I'm pretty sure USC will be missing a DE for this game.

I think the best answer is to do whatever our players feel most comfortable with. If our players prefer up tempo but we slow it down to keep USC off the field, we have less of a chance to win.

End of the day, we still need to outscore them.

Regardless, I assume we're playing to win, not playing to make sure the scoreboard looks slightly less ugly. There's no shame in losing to the #1 team in the country. If it's a blowout, so be it. Season then starts the week after. Need to win 6 of 10, and should have the talent to do it.

More importantly, do we go after Barkley or play it "safe"?

Go after Barkley. We saw what happens when we play it safe in a "prevent" style defense, the last possession for NW on Saturday. Send pressure. The leading heisman candidate is going to get his, all you can is try to make him think twice about a couple of things, and to do that, you try to hit him a few times early.

Go after Barkley. We saw what happens when we play it safe in a "prevent" style defense, the last possession for NW on Saturday. Send pressure. The leading heisman candidate is going to get his, all you can is try to make him think twice about a couple of things, and to do that, you try to hit him a few times early.
Yep, after watchign how a bckup at a mid tier B10 school carved us up I'd hate to see what Barkley would do if we gave him time. If he carves us up while we're throwing the kitchen sink at him so be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom