I don't think its hard to figure out the missing ingredient... | Syracusefan.com

I don't think its hard to figure out the missing ingredient...

Jake

Mod
but I'm not sure it can be fixed. - The old cliche that "a team is a reflection of its coach" thing.

Marrone has a plan, a play book and a road map, but has displayed a remarkable lack of "feel" for the game. His team, expecially his QB, exhibit that exact same qualities.

Its exemplified by the lack of success in the red zone, where defenses tighten up, the field shrinks, the playbook shrinks and often players have to adlib to "make a play".

I don't think Doug can change that about himself...he seems to be Mr. Roboto. The ideal solution would be to let the OC provide guidance here, but our OC is too new and young to do so.

Tough spot.

Jake thank goodness that someone who is respected on this board has spoken out about our issue. I agree we are solid on D Doug is doing much better recruiting Specials can be fixed with a dedicated coach but we need a Shafer type coach one with a proven track record running the O. Hack should be given Specials , Doug should run the program and we should hire a true OC

Marrone needs to get out of the coordinators boxes and let the assistants do their jobs. If his assistants are incapable of doing the job, bring someone in who is capable.

If HCDM is incapable of making that change......then the answer becomes quite clear.

Marrone should worry about being HC and leave the O to the OC. WHich means get rid of Hackett and bring in a top guy like Franklin.

but I'm not sure it can be fixed. - The old cliche that "a team is a reflection of its coach" thing.

Marrone has a plan, a play book and a road map, but has displayed a remarkable lack of "feel" for the game. His team, expecially his QB, exhibit that exact same qualities.

Its exemplified by the lack of success in the red zone, where defenses tighten up, the field shrinks, the playbook shrinks and often players have to adlib to "make a play".

I don't think Doug can change that about himself...he seems to be Mr. Roboto. The ideal solution would be to let the OC provide guidance here, but our OC is too new and young to do so.

Tough spot.

Well said. I've been thinking this for weeks, months. Neither Marrone nor Nassib has that finesse that you need in crunch situations. Either you have it - or you don't.

If we were a well coached team it would be a lot easier to deal with the current situation. Then you can say be patient and wait for the talent to improve. The problem is we are a sloppy, undisciplined team that lacks fundamentals. That is unacceptable in year 4.

Tough spot.

So, you're comparing something completely intangible - Marrone's psyche during games - to something entirely tangible - Nassib's abilities to throw and run?

Players make plays when they have the speed, agility and strength to do it.

Ryan has moxie - he is tough and smart. But oftentimes defenses with speed and power ask questions that his physical make-up cannot answer. It's really that simple.

3rd and 12, on the Rutgers 20, 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, and the score is tied...

Inside handoff.

That's like trying to give Jessica Alba a massage while wearing oven mitts.

No. Feel. At. All.

So, you're comparing something completely intangible - Marrone's psyche during games - to something entirely tangible - Nassib's abilities to throw and run?

Players make plays when they have the speed, agility and strength to do it.

Ryan has moxie - he is tough and smart. But oftentimes defenses with speed and power ask questions that his physical make-up cannot answer. It's really that simple.

There is nothing "intangible" about a coach's feel for the game.

Marrone should worry about being HC and leave the O to the OC. WHich means get rid of Hackett and bring in a top guy like Franklin.

Here we go again.

We lost the game because of Hackett?

Didn't the Rutgers defense and special teams have something to do with the outcome?

Really?

What instrument do you use to measure it?

A slide rule?

You have little faith in advanced analytics, eh?

One could easily develop a quantitative way to measure feel, depending on how one would define it. Just about anything is measurable if you define the parameters of what you're measuring.

It may not be gospel, but then again, stats like TDs and INTs aren't gospel if you want to quantitatively judge a QB's performance either.

He's not comparing the two, he is showing a correlation. You are right that his intangible psyche isn't running out to the field and physically causing Nassib to have happy feet, but his psyche IS impacting the way he plays. Just like Nick Saban's impacts his players, for example.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but have you ever even played organized football or any sport for that matter? The mental and emotional makeup of a coach, and subsequently his coaching "style", can greatly impact the play on the field for players. If you are coached down to the last detail without given the freedom to improvise, once you are put in a position where you have to do so, you may begin to panic or choke.

3rd and 12, on the Rutgers 20, 11 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, and the score is tied...

Inside handoff.

That's like trying to give Jessica Alba a massage while wearing oven mitts.

No. Feel. At. All.

It was an awful play call. Same with the conservative 2nd down play calls where we try and get manageable 3rd downs instead of avoiding f3rd downs by getting first downs. Even if we are sacked there we are still in FG range. Marrone is more concerned about avoiding negative plays than he is getting positive plays. That is a backwards way of thinking.

You have little faith in advanced analytics, eh?

One could easily develop a quantitative way to measure feel, depending on how one would define it. Just about anything is measurable if you define the parameters of what you're measuring.

It may not be gospel, but then again, stats like TDs and INTs aren't gospel if you want to quantitatively judge a QB's performance either.
Alright hot shot, take a stab at it. I'd like to see this measurement of a coach's "feel".

Alright hot shot, take a stab at it. I'd like to see this measurement of a coach's "feel".

Yeah, I'm going to pass for now, but I kinda do this for a living.

Ummm. You really don't know what Hot Shot Scooch does for a living do you...

Yeah, I'm going to pass for now, but I kinda do this for a living.
Post on internet message boards? Or measure the 'feel' exhibited by mediocre college football coaches? Either way...I want in. I assume I can work from home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom