I don't think JB is going anywhere soon! | Syracusefan.com

I don't think JB is going anywhere soon!

Gabjon

All American
He was on Mike and Mike defending Melo and he sounded like he was ready to coach the Knicks or be the GM. I think the Final 4 run has reenergized him and as a SU-Knicks fan I'm loving it. Now trade Dion for Iman and the knicks first round pick and life would be perfect!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

He was on Mike and Mike defending Melo and he sounded like he was ready to coach the Knicks or be the GM. I think the Final 4 run has reenergized him and as a SU-Knicks fan I'm loving it. Now trade Dion for Iman and the knicks first round pick and life would be perfect!

No way on that trade. Iman is an elite defender - Dion is an elite offensive player who may never be an elite defender. Iman showed in the playoffs, that he could grow into an all around better player.

I love Dion - but no way over Shump.

No way on that trade. Iman is an elite defender - Dion is an elite offensive player who may never be an elite defender. Iman showed in the playoffs, that he could grow into an all around better player.

I love Dion - but no way over Shump.
That is why the trade works the Cavs get a defender to go with Kyrie and the Knicks get a scorer who they can pair with Melo. Both guys are young and have to work on the other end of the floor, but you have to give something to get something! Trade helps both teams!

I love Syracuse as much as the next guy but no way in hell do I make that trade if I'm the Knicks...Shumpert is getting better and better as a scorer and is already an elite defender...he can guard 2s and 3s even pg's (he shut down rose a couple of times in the 2012 season) I actually think he is a better shooter than Dion already...dion is a much better slasher/ play maker but that's about it

The Knicks lack defense more than offense, so they can't afford to drop their best defender for anybody. They should trade J.R. for a consistent, but less talented, SG or get a true PF. Obviously, Stoudemire has to go but nobody is going to take that contract.

Can we wait until Waiters has played a full season before we say he is an elite offensive player? Sheesh...Shumpert AND a 1st? Wowsers...

If Shumpert ends up a decent scorer (which I think he will), he will be one of the elite young SGs in the game because of his overall game and tenacity. Dion? At this point, who really knows?

I love Syracuse as much as the next guy but no way in hell do I make that trade if I'm the Knicks...Shumpert is getting better and better as aapg scorer and is already an elite defender...he can guard 2s and 3s even pg's (he shut down rose a couple of times in the 2012 season) I actually think he is a better shooter than Dion already...dion is a much better slasher/ play maker but that's about it

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

ihook

Every elite team has a scoring pg guard or combo guard! Iman is great but he and Melo are the ONLY tradable assets the Knicks have and the are not trading Melo. Dion provided that he can score in this league while kryie was hurt. In today's in NBA you need an on the ball player how can force the defense to react and that has to be able to shoot or pass. Dion is going to be that type player and if you don't get him now you ever will. Iman is not a better shooter than Dion that is a prisoner of the moment statement off of his game 6. Also Dion is athletic enough to be a good defender he just needs more experience. Lastly the Knicks first rd pick isn't that good they would have to sign a guy to guaranteed money who will be in the d-league anyway.

Every elite team has a scoring pg guard or combo guard! Iman is great but he and Melo are the ONLY tradable assets the Knicks have and the are not trading Melo. Dion provided that he can score in this league while kryie was hurt. In today's in NBA you need an on the ball player how can force the defense to react and that has to be able to shoot or pass. Dion is going to be that type player and if you don't get him now you ever will. Iman is not a better shooter than Dion that is a prisoner of the moment statement off of his game 6. Also Dion is athletic enough to be a good defender he just needs more experience. Lastly the Knicks first rd pick isn't that good they would have to sign a guy to guaranteed money who will be in the d-league anyway.

Dion shot 41% on two and 31% on three this season

Iman was 39% and 40% from 3 this season...

So it's alot closer than you think...shump is a better shooter with better form

There not and if you look at Dion second half of the season only he was like 45% and 33% and he was not playing with Melo like Iman. Dion did that with Kyrie out and defenses focusing on him!

You nailed the major issue: Melo & Shumpert are the Knicks only assets who would bring substantial value in return. Everyone else is too old or too something else.
That's a HUGE problem.
It means the Knicks are closer to having to rebuild than they are to becoming true championship contenders.

They thought they needed 3 "stars" and thought they had them in Melo, Stoudamire and Chandler.
Nope. Not happening.

As much as I'd like to see Dion on the Knicks...if I'm the GM I don't deal Shumpert for him (assuming Cleveland even would do that).
Each guy needs to improve on the other's specialty and each may be capable of doing it.

Melo is getting old (man, is that ever a shocking thing to find myself writing!)
The Knicks must draft well and open the checkbook.
Otherwise they're cooked...Shumpert is the ONLY player under 27.

You nailed the major issue: Melo & Shumpert are the Knicks only assets who would bring substantial value in return. Everyone else is too old or too something else.
That's a HUGE problem.
It means the Knicks are closer to having to rebuild than they are to becoming true championship contenders.

They thought they needed 3 "stars" and thought they had them in Melo, Stoudamire and Chandler.
Nope. Not happening.

As much as I'd like to see Dion on the Knicks...if I'm the GM I don't deal Shumpert for him (assuming Cleveland even would do that).
Each guy needs to improve on the other's specialty and each may be capable of doing it.

Melo is getting old (man, is that ever a shocking thing to find myself writing!)
The Knicks must draft well and open the checkbook.
Otherwise they're cooked...Shumpert is the ONLY player under 27.
They have late pick this year and NO pick next year! They are Cap out so they can't spend money this isn't baseball! Chandler and Kmart are defensive players Amare is done but they still to pay him. The knicks need another scorer in the starting line up and Dion can play the one or the two so he can play with Felton or JR. He can run pick and roll and he is young and getting better!

Shump for Dion and the Cav's first round pick I'd do if I'm the Knicks. But the Cav's wouldn't do that. The Knicks likely are not trade partners for anyone. As Gabjon stated Shump and Melo are the Knicks only tradeable assets. The Knicks roster as composed was for a one year run. I'd like to keep Felton, Prigioni, Copeland and Chanler in addiiton to Shump and Melo. Rest of the team who cares? Keep a couple role players, would love to rid the roster of JR and Amare, I guess only JR likely to go. Need to add either a bonafide PF or SF. Not sure that is possible. Not to get into draft talk or to expect too much out of a late pick but DeShaun Thomas from OSU intrigues me quite a bit.
I love Dion, but I'm not ready to say he's better or going to be better than Shumpert.

When does Amare's contract end? That is the biggest determining factor for the Knicks being successful. If they can keep Melo, Felton, Shumpert, and Chandler after Amare's contract expires, they will be able to go get the PF they need so badly.

Novak, JR, Camby, Richardson, and Kidd should be off the books for next season with Martin (questionable), Pablo and Copeland coming back. That might leave enough room to get a JR replacement for the short term. Their draft pick should be traded, regardless. The Knicks are trying to win NOW and whatever draft pick they get will not help them achieve that.

Shump for Dion and the Cav's first round pick I'd do if I'm the Knicks. But the Cav's wouldn't do that. The Knicks likely are not trade partners for anyone. As Gabjon stated Shump and Melo are the Knicks only tradeable assets. The Knicks roster as composed was for a one year run. I'd like to keep Felton, Prigioni, Copeland and Chanler in addiiton to Shump and Melo. Rest of the team who cares? Keep a couple role players, would love to rid the roster of JR and Amare, I guess only JR likely to go. Need to add either a bonafide PF or SF. Not sure that is possible. Not to get into draft talk or to expect too much out of a late pick but DeShaun Thomas from OSU intrigues me quite a bit.
I love Dion, but I'm not ready to say he's better or going to be better than Shumpert.
It's not about being better than Shumpter its about fit. There is concern about Kyrie and Dion being a good fit together because there both like the ball in their hands. Shumpter would help Kyrie a lot and Dion is better for the Knicks. By the way Knicks were destroyed by scoring PG's all year kyries curry and another all had there season highs on the Knicks so guard is a bigger issue than SF in my option.

There is talk in Cleveland about moving Kyrie largely do to health issues but that is why I don't want him on the Knicks...the Knicks have no luck when it comes to health issues!

I'm not sure Dion is better than JR. Excluding playoffs - the last month of the season, he tore everyone up.

I'm not sure Dion is better than JR. Excluding playoffs - the last month of the season, he tore everyone up.
JR is only a 2G he can't run pick and roll and when his shot is off he is useless. Plus JR is at his ceiling Dion's ceiling is years a way

I remember a while back Chris Paul wanted to come but the Knicks didn't have the money. If only there was a way to dump Amare I think Chris Paul would come to New York because it's the big market he wants, (I know L.A. is too but their always second fiddle to the Lakers) and him and Melo are really good friend. With Melo, Paul, and Chandler that's a team to be reckoned with.

Deceiving stats - Dion can get his own shot whenever he wants ala Melo. Shump needs to be open - he can't create for himself. That being said - for the Knicks - I like Shump better overall - bigger, better defender, better rebounder, & no "me' issues. The guys who can create at will sometimes have lower shooting percentages because they are the ones who get stuck w the ball w less than 5 secs left on the shot clock. Happens to Melo about every other poseession. I haven't watched the Cavs much, but most likely it also happens with Dion from time to time.

Deceiving stats - Dion can get his own shot whenever he wants ala Melo. Shump needs to be open - he can't create for himself. That being said - for the Knicks - I like Shump better overall - bigger, better defender, better rebounder, & no "me' issues. The guys who can create at will sometimes have lower shooting percentages because they are the ones who get stuck w the ball w less than 5 secs left on the shot clock. Happens to Melo about every other poseession. I haven't watched the Cavs much, but most likely it also happens with Dion from time to time.
Agreed about Iman but the Knicks need more scoring! Remove Dion from the equation the knicks need a guard who can get his own shot and can create for others too. Your assets are Melo and Iman you are capped salary wise and there is no way they are trading Melo (who opt out at the end of next season) now tell me a player they can get for Iman where the salaries work and the trade makes sense for both teams...

Now trade Dion for Iman and the knicks first round pick and life would be perfect!
that trade is an impossibility - Knicks are over the cap so the traded salaries have to match, but those two don't. And there is nobody else on the aging, expensive, garbage-filled Knicks roster that the Cavs would take.

Agreed about Iman but the Knicks need more scoring! Remove Dion from the equation the knicks need a guard who can get his own shot and can create for others too. Your assets are Melo and Iman you are capped salary wise and there is no way they are trading Melo (who opt out at the end of next season) now tell me a player they can get for Iman where the salaries work and the trade makes sense for both teams...

They already have that guy in JR - assuming they can re-sign him. Of course, there is always the risk he could implode again. They also have a first rounder this year, but I see them drafting a PG if Prig leaves or a big if Prig stays. Though not a guard, Copeland is also a "natural" scorer. I think it is easier to find shooters than defenders. Maybe there will be a vet they can sign for the minimum out there or a another foreigner.