I don't understand lumping Marek with Sidibe | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand lumping Marek with Sidibe

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Marek doesn't look for his shot a whole lot, but he knows what he's doing on the offensive end and has a sense for involving others.

Sidibe looks lost. It got better in the 2nd half, but in the 1st it looked at times like he was clogging things up and getting in the way of the guards.

I mention this because I've seen some posts here commenting that we play 3 on 5 when they're on the floor together.

Marek's game is such he'll never be a big time scorer, but his offensive game and Sidibe's are not at all equivalently limited. It's weird to me seeing commentary suggesting they are.

Come on man - Marek is pretty damn bad too - our offense is horrible for a myriad of reasons but putting Marek and Sidibe on the court at the same time guarantees we are scoring under 50

i understand Marek’s a fan favorite but he looks consistently gassed out there and hasn’t developed offensively in his time here. If you’re a defender, and Marek or Sidibe arent directly under the basket, you don’t need to guard them.

i group them together because they aren’t active enough, consistently, on O to warrant attention. It hurts our ball handlers. Marek’s good for a couple good passes a game though

i understand Marek’s a fan favorite but he looks consistently gassed out there and hasn’t developed offensively in his time here. If you’re a defender, and Marek or Sidibe arent directly under the basket, you don’t need to guard them.

i group them together because they aren’t active enough, consistently, on O to warrant attention. It hurts our ball handlers. Marek’s good for a couple good passes a game though
That's simply not accurate that Marek hasn't developed offensively. He developed an outside shot. He's also shown some ability running high low. He's always had a crafty flip shot in the paint. He does require defensive attention.

Come on man - Marek is pretty damn bad too - our offense is horrible for a myriad of reasons but putting Marek and Sidibe on the court at the same time guarantees we are scoring under 50
I agree that lineups with both Marek and Sidibe are offensively challenged.

That said, I believe any lineup that includes Sidibe is going to be extremely limited.

Marek is a solid 6th or 7th man. He is a spark player. Hes better off the bench this year. Great hustle guy.

I liked Marek getting a few boards and pushing it up the court. That might be the only thing I liked.

I liked Girard's 3 that hit off the back of the rim, then hit the teflon, then landed in the basket.

I've mentally blocked out pretty much everything else.

I liked Marek getting a few boards and pushing it up the court. That might be the only thing I liked.

If im a guard and i see Marek pushing it i run at him and strip it from him. I liked the idea of it but it's such a high dribble and it looked like he was in slow motion.

Marek and Braswell played very well together in the exhibitions. That back door pass for Marek to Braswell was nice in the second game was nice.

If im a guard and i see Marek pushing it i run at him and strip it from him. I liked the idea of it but it's such a high dribble and it looked like he was in slow motion.

You would think / hope / pray that if that happened he could go over the top with a pass.

This is what I am left with. :mad:

Long strides he is faster than you think. It was a smart play we needed it get out in transition at all cost.

Marek does some things nicely. For instance he was the only guy that really seemed to try to get after it on the boards and he always makes a few hustle or heady plays.

He's also good for some head scratcher plays. Usually one or two bad Tavern League type reach in fouls on a lost rebound or for instance when he grabbed the UVA player at mid court when they were in transition. We had three guys back on defense, no reason to bear hug the guy and give the foul at half court Also the two passes in the second half that he air mailed to Dino who was sitting about 10 rows back in the seats. I think he also threw the wild pass that Buddy ran down and deflected to Hughes in the corner for a 3 making about the ugliest/luckiest two man assist I think I've seen in some time.

In any case he is the epitome of a role player that is a 7th or 8th man in your rotation. He really shouldn't be on the floor at the same time as one of the other centers because he doesn't give you enough offensively to be out there with another extremely limited guy. But, alas, our roster dictates that we may not have better options.

The idea that he played 40 minutes for us last night should make us all very afraid for what lies ahead this season.

Long strides he is faster than you think. It was a smart play we needed it get out in transition at all cost.

Fast, with or without the ball, is not a word id use to describe him.

Not saying it isnt a smart play but we can push the ball into transition. If Marek is crossing half court with the ball in almost any circumstance something is wrong, a pass should be made before that happens.

Fast, with or without the ball, is not a word id use to describe him.

Not saying it isnt a smart play but we can push the ball into transition. If Marek is crossing half court with the ball in almost any circumstance something is wrong, a pass should be made before that happens.

Not is we have numbers and he didn't turn it over. We have had a ton of forward push the ball in transition over the years. Not a big deal

Not is we have numbers and he didn't turn it over. We have had a ton of forward push the ball in transition over the years. Not a big deal

We've had highly skilled ones doing that.

We've had highly skilled ones doing that.
Marek has ball skills he just isn't a shooter, but dribbling and passing is good enough for that play.

Marek has ball skills he just isn't a shooter, but dribbling and passing is good enough for that play.

I'll agree 100% with the passing, probably the best on the team. But I honestly have never seen him pass while moving, only stationary. Thinking of forwards we've had bring the ball up in the past, look at the names and add Marek to the list and tell me which guy doesn't belong in the sentence

I'll agree 100% with the passing, probably the best on the team. But I honestly have never seen him pass while moving, only stationary. Thinking of forwards we've had bring the ball up in the past, look at the names and add Marek to the list and tell me which guy doesn't belong in the sentence
lol! He was acting as point forward, it was a transition opportunity

lol! He was acting as point forward, it was a transition opportunity

You think he's skilled enough to do it, I don't see a lot of success in the future with him in that role, i see a lot of turnovers happening if it does. It's not a big deal if we disagree.

You think he's skilled enough to do it, I don't see a lot of success in the future with him in that role, i see a lot of turnovers happening if it does. It's not a big deal if we disagree.
Agreed! I see an opportunistic play but not part of the game plan.

Keith Van Horn has added a little Billy Owens to his game. I’m with it.

I agree that lineups with both Marek and Sidibe are offensively challenged.

That said, I believe any lineup that includes Sidibe is going to be extremely limited.

I would run the halfcourt offense through Marek based on what I saw last night.

he did it a few times last night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom