I don't understand lumping Marek with Sidibe | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I don't understand lumping Marek with Sidibe

not in the scenario you were talking about

I'm just not comfortable with Marek bringing the ball up and over half court. We can still push pace if he passes it.

I liked Marek getting a few boards and pushing it up the court. That might be the only thing I liked.

He had some nice passes early and was best, like you said he was, pushing the ball in transition after rebounds. He was our best rebounder out there by far (which is probably a sad commentary) - he’s our most versatile player - rebounding, passing, ball handling, seeing the court but creates no offense for himself - a big detriment on a team that desperately needs - scoring. It’s something we rarely see anymore in college basketball- a player who is too unselfish and prefers to be a facilitator but as a junior we need him to be able to provide some scoring himself. He can’t eliminate himself as an option.

I'm just not comfortable with Marek bringing the ball up and over half court. We can still push pace if he passes it.

Marek should not bring the ball up. The “point guard” - which I’m not sure we have funnels the ball to him at FT line/top of the key. Run it from there versus perimeter passing until :08 left on shot clock.

Marek are the 4/5 could do pretty good there, IMO. Would love to see it.

Marek doesn't look for his shot a whole lot, but he knows what he's doing on the offensive end and has a sense for involving others.

Sidibe looks lost. It got better in the 2nd half, but in the 1st it looked at times like he was clogging things up and getting in the way of the guards.

I mention this because I've seen some posts here commenting that we play 3 on 5 when they're on the floor together.

Marek's game is such he'll never be a big time scorer, but his offensive game and Sidibe's are not at all equivalently limited. It's weird to me seeing commentary suggesting they are.

Feels like Marek would be most effective with 4 other guys that can score. Marek can score when he’s the guy the defense plays as a passer.

Since we never have a 5 that can score, then Marek has to be the 5 in order to get him out there with 4 other scorers.

Quite the conundrum. Getting a Center who can score for once, would solve it. Maybe next year.

Feels like Marek would be most effective with 4 other guys that can score. Marek can score when he’s the guy the defense plays as a passer.

Since we never have a 5 that can score, then Marek has to be the 5 in order to get him out there with 4 other scorers.

Quite the conundrum. Getting a Center who can score for once, would solve it. Maybe next year.
This is why I think we're going to see a lot of Marek at the 5. Unless Edwards makes some big leaps.

Marek does some things nicely. For instance he was the only guy that really seemed to try to get after it on the boards and he always makes a few hustle or heady plays.

He's also good for some head scratcher plays. Usually one or two bad Tavern League type reach in fouls on a lost rebound or for instance when he grabbed the UVA player at mid court when they were in transition. We had three guys back on defense, no reason to bear hug the guy and give the foul at half court Also the two passes in the second half that he air mailed to Dino who was sitting about 10 rows back in the seats. I think he also threw the wild pass that Buddy ran down and deflected to Hughes in the corner for a 3 making about the ugliest/luckiest two man assist I think I've seen in some time.

In any case he is the epitome of a role player that is a 7th or 8th man in your rotation. He really shouldn't be on the floor at the same time as one of the other centers because he doesn't give you enough offensively to be out there with another extremely limited guy. But, alas, our roster dictates that we may not have better options.

The idea that he played 40 minutes for us last night should make us all very afraid for what lies ahead this season.
Excellent summary of his game - that said - with this roster he should start at the 5 with QG and Braswell splitting 4 minutes and Sid or the Frosh spelling Marek when he inevitably gets into foul trouble. We cannot play him at forward with another center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom