I feel like Syracuse football is the definition of Insanity... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I feel like Syracuse football is the definition of Insanity...

Why does someone who roots for the players want to keep a HC who isn't getting the job done? If the next hire isn't doing the job in 3 years, yes they should be fired too. No one is asking Shafer to win the ACC, we just want 6 wins.

I mean do we need to go back and see how many people here were saying this was a 7-8 win team back in September. I like Shafer a lot, but it's obvious this isn't going anywhere.

The players deserve better. I think they do and that's what you are saying

Why does someone who roots for the players want to keep a HC who isn't getting the job done? If the next hire isn't doing the job in 3 years, yes they should be fired too. No one is asking Shafer to win the ACC, we just want 6 wins.

I mean do we need to go back and see how many people here were saying this was a 7-8 win team back in September. I like Shafer a lot, but it's obvious this isn't going anywhere.

2.75 seasons in I think it's more than fair to ask: is the program in a better position than when SS was named HC? Is there tangible evidence on the field of the team improving as the season goes on and the all the young players are gaining more experience (apart from the 6 consecutive losses, which is damning enough on it's own)? Is the HC learning from experience/mistakes in terms of in-game management, decision making, understanding probabilities, game planning, and player development?

Objectively, I'm not sure there are a lot of "yes" answers there.

I also get very disapointed but I keep reminding myself that Coach Mac was in the same boat for 5 years and turned the program around in year six.I do feel he had a better cast of assistants to work with though. This was probably because he came from the NFL and made some good hires.

RCDICK44 said:
I also get very disapointed but I keep reminding myself that Coach Mac was in the same boat for 5 years and turned the program around in year six.I do feel he had a better cast of assistants to work with though. This was probably because he came from the NFL and made some good hires.

The narrative about Coach Mac is so flawed. He went 6-5, 6-5 and 7-5 in his 3rd, 4th and 5th years at SU. Just because some people apparently wanted him fired doesn't mean he wasn't doing OK. If Shafer got those win totals in his 3rd, 4th and 5th years he certainly would be retained.

The narrative about Coach Mac is so flawed. He went 6-5, 6-5 and 7-5 in his 3rd, 4th and 5th years at SU. Just because some people apparently wanted him fired doesn't mean he wasn't doing OK. If Shafer got those win totals in his 3rd, 4th and 5th years he certainly would be retained.

Yes, and by his third recruiting cycle Mac was winning recruiting battles and landing the talent that brought bigger success in 1987 and beyond.
To me that is still the big question with Scott Shafer. If he is winning his share of recruiting battles, establishing so-called pipelines, and improving the roster, there will be success down the road. In Mac's early years, there were definite signs -- his charm for sure, but also each class of recruits. I see some signs with the current staff (Dungey, Fredericks, Clark, Strickland, Conway -- actually, the 2015 class as a whole was good, except for DBs), but there is always the doubt until the program competes better on the field.