I for one | Syracusefan.com

I for one

Cuse House

All American
Miss the heck out of these two. We don't have a single guy this year who plays with the energy, passion, and hustle that Cooney and G gave to us. A play last night where Gillon watches the ball roll away, I can picture Cooney busting his face on that guys knee trying to get it. It's all heart, this team doesn't have it.

4 years of Cooney bashing, but that dude was Syracuse. I guess it's true when they say you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

I shite you not: the song "Don't Know Whatcha Got Til It's Gone" was playing in my head before I saw your last line.

Miss the heck out of these two. We don't have a single guy this year who plays with the energy, passion, and hustle that Cooney and G gave to us. A play last night where Gillon watches the ball roll away, I can picture Cooney busting his face on that guys knee trying to get it. It's all heart, this team doesn't have it.

4 years of Cooney bashing, but that dude was Syracuse. I guess it's true when they say you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Some of the player bashing happening now reminds me a lot of how Cooney got the business from a portion of our fanbase.

When we lose, some posters see it as an opportunity to tee off. Been that way forever. Some of the criticism is valid, other parts of it are over the top and knee jerk, but it is what it is.

I would take Gillon over Cooney.

Cooney played with heart and effort. He learned the zone defense and was great on D but offense was problem during each of his 3 years as a starter.
I was glad we made the Final Four last year but I don't want that type of player playing 35 MPG.
That wasn't Cooney's fault but playing all those
Minutes each game made his PER barely at average for a D-1 player.

If Cooney played 26-30 MPG he wouldn't have got all the criticism.

I still pissed at how we fumbled away the 2014 season. That team should have been a 1 or 2 seed. The SG position killed that team offensively the last 2'months.

Cooney played with heart and effort. He learned the zone defense and was great on D but offense was problem during each of his 3 years as a starter.
I was glad we made the Final Four last year but I don't want that type of player playing 35 MPG.

I still pissed at how we fumbled away the 2014 season. That team should have been a 1 or 2 seed. The SG position killed that team offensively the last 2'months.
Give me Cooney 10/10 times. Gillon's basketball IQ infuriates me. I can take missed shots, but I can't take lack of hustle and downright stupid plays. Whatever Gillon gives us at points in games, he takes away the rest of the time.

Give me Cooney 10/10 times. Gillon's basketball IQ infuriates me. I can take missed shots, but I can't take lack of hustle and downright stupid plays. Whatever Gillon gives us at points in games, he takes away the rest of the time.
Cooney had 5 years in the system. He knew the zone D better than any guard since 2009.
We needed more consistency on offense. If the 2014 team had a consistent SG on offense that team had the D and talent to cut down the nets.
Grant/Ennis/Fair needed a SG. Nonconference Cooney was great conference play Cooney wasn't and guess what JB didn't make changes.

The main reason I wanted Frank to win the PG job this year is because I knew the defense would suffer with Gillon on the court. Small pgs have problems defending at every level of basketball. Just look at how NBA teams attack Isaiah Thomas.

Give me Cooney over Gillon all day every day and twice on Sunday. The defensive advantage alone is enough to put Cooney head and shoulders above Gillon. Gillon has arguably the harder job, being a PG rather than a SG, but he only helps us on one end of the court and that seems to only happen 1 out of every 5 or 6 games. Cooney had cold streaks as a shooter, but he at least did other things on the court. Gillon either hits 3's to help us win or doesn't hit 3's and directly contributes to losses. Cooney could miss all his 3's and still be a net positive on the court.

Cooney had 5 years in the system. He knew the zone D better than any guard since 2009.
We needed more consistency on offense. If the 2014 team had a consistent SG on offense that team had the D and talent to cut down the nets.
Grant/Ennis/Fair needed a SG. Nonconference Cooney was great conference play Cooney wasn't and guess what JB didn't make changes.

What changes could JB have made? Gbinije very literally couldn't dribble at that stage in his career, so I don't think we had other options at SG unless we count Patterson, which we shouldn't.

What changes could JB have made? Gbinije very literally couldn't dribble at that stage in his career, so I don't think we had other options at SG unless we count Patterson, which we shouldn't.
Gbinije by the end of his first year was serviceable.
I still get pissed G got benched in the Dayton game for the shoe. I would have played G the entire 2nd half of that game.

Great kid but don't think Cooney would necessarily help this teams problems at all.

Gbinije is invaluable no matter what identity your team has.

H.ells to the yizzity. Last year's backcourt was a solid veteran tandem.

If TC doesn't come in with the label "one of the best shooters in this class" label, I think the fans view of him would have been much different. It shouldn't even be a discussion of TC or Gillon. Trevor would be the pick 100 out of 100 times!!!

Some of the player bashing happening now reminds me a lot of how Cooney got the business from a portion of our fanbase.

When we lose, some posters see it as an opportunity to tee off. Been that way forever. Some of the criticism is valid, other parts of it are over the top and knee jerk, but it is what it is.
The board has gone to the birds...

My mind could not compute what was happening when Gillon watched the ball roll out of bounds ... really, he ran away from the ball as it rolled out of bounds ... the announcers said he gave up on it but I just couldn't believe someone with his passion for the game would let it go like that. Still am skeptical that is what happened.

I won't bad mouth Cooney. These are literally two different teams we are talking about - the whole defense doesn't rest on the shoulders of the guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom