I fully expect Richardson and Lydon to enter the draft | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I fully expect Richardson and Lydon to enter the draft

I could possibly see Mal testing the waters, but I would bet my house that Lydon will be back.

I fully expect all five non-senior contributors to declare. My 45-year-earned SU pessimism rears its ugly head at various times but usually only when I'm awake or when I'm asleep.

So, kids who don't shave yet are entering the NBA draft? OK

Both of those mentioned here could use another year, or two, of development before being thrown to the wolves.

If that's the case, I would think Roberson should test the waters too. He could potentially be one of the best rebounders in the draft.

I would think Richardson needs to show he has more than just a hot-or-cold three-point shot before an NBA team drafts him...but then again, this is NBA scouts and GM's we're talking about.

Scout: This kid shoots 35% from three and has good size for a guard, but hasn't figured out how to penetrate and score consistently and turns the ball over more than twice a game.

GM: Hmmm...I'll pass.

Scout: But wait - he's a freshman.

GM: WHAT?! DRAFT HIM NOW! WE'LL MAKE HIM A STAR!

Scout: I thought you might say that! Since we're looking at Syracuse, his teammate is 6-6 and played point guard this year. He can handle, is great penetrator, can jump through the ceiling and shot .411 from three. He really can do it all and led SU to the Sweet 16.

GM: Wow! Sounds great.

Scout: Hold on, sir. This young man is...a senior. *lowers head in shame*

GM: Noooooooooooo! How dare you even waste my time with this garbage?!

Scout: I'm sorry, sir. It's just that he's the best player on that te--

GM: I don't care! He's over the hill. We can't work with someone that...old! Yuck! *dry heaves*

Scout: You're right, sir. I'm sorry. It won't happen again!

Why wouldn't all good college players declare, and see if they get the combine invite? It makes a lot sense to use the new rules to their advantage. Doesn't mean they have to even be thinking of leaving, but if you can get valuable feedback from NBA folks, they should do it.

I agree with this, but then also wonder how valuable the advice they get will truly be? If there are lots of underclassmen that go through the evaluations, but don't have both feet in the draft it makes it harder to determine where you'd fall in the draft doesn't it? If these 10 guys declare and stay in you are a second rounder. If these guys don't keep there names in you are a first rounder.

2 reasons why they should

1.) WEAK draft this season, 2017 already looking like a much deeper draft

2.) New entry rules this year (enter without signing with an agent, go through the combine, get their draft grade, 1st round grade - go, 2nd round grade - stay)

You must be bored

I agree with this, but then also wonder how valuable the advice they get will truly be? If there are lots of underclassmen that go through the evaluations, but don't have both feet in the draft it makes it harder to determine where you'd fall in the draft doesn't it? If these 10 guys declare and stay in you are a second rounder. If these guys don't keep there names in you are a first rounder.
They can be given an approximate best case ranking relative to the players known to be entering the draft, and advised that their position will then drop accordingly depending on who else ultimately declares.

Don't they have to pay their own way still? That would be a bit prohibitive for most guys. Or did they change that rule as well?

Not sure. They can do the combine and 1 team workout each year. It's certainly possible players could do a workout with the team closest. Couldn't tell if this could be paid for by the NBA or not.

(Two pages in and nobody did this? Fine, I'll fall on the sword.)

They gone.

I would think Richardson needs to show he has more than just a hot-or-cold three-point shot before an NBA team drafts him...but then again, this is NBA scouts and GM's we're talking about.

Scout: This kid shoots 35% from three and has good size for a guard, but hasn't figured out how to penetrate and score consistently and turns the ball over more than twice a game.

GM: Hmmm...I'll pass.

Scout: But wait - he's a freshman.

GM: WHAT?! DRAFT HIM NOW! WE'LL MAKE HIM A STAR!

Scout: I thought you might say that! Since we're looking at Syracuse, his teammate is 6-6 and played point guard this year. He can handle, is great penetrator, can jump through the ceiling and shot .411 from three. He really can do it all and led SU to the Sweet 16.

GM: Wow! Sounds great.

Scout: Hold on, sir. This young man is...a senior. *lowers head in shame*

GM: Noooooooooooo! How dare you even waste my time with this garbage?!

Scout: I'm sorry, sir. It's just that he's the best player on that te--

GM: I don't care! He's over the hill. We can't work with someone that...old! Yuck! *dry heaves*

Scout: You're right, sir. I'm sorry. It won't happen again!

This might be as dumb a post as OP's.

There will be a lot of salty folks in the next couple of weeks after both Malachi and Lydon declare with no agent to potentially participate in the combine.

There will be a lot of salty folks in the next couple of weeks after both Malachi and Lydon declare with no agent to potentially participate in the combine.
If Syracuse wins it all... maybe.

Make the final and Mal might check it out, especially if he has some big games on the big stage.

Next year Lydon gets the chance to play his natural spot, and the chance to get a bit stronger.

They way people talk about Malachis draft prospects around here, you would think he is having the season Gbinije is having.
People don't understand how the new rules are going to change things. I expect both Malachi and Lydon back next season, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they'll declare and try to get a workout out of the combine.

They way people talk about Malachis draft prospects around here, you would think he is having the season Gbinije is having.
It's all about context. A true freshman's season is viewed through a different lens than a fifth year senior's.

People don't understand how the new rules are going to change things. I expect both Malachi and Lydon back next season, but that doesn't mean that I don't think they'll declare and try to get a workout out of the combine.

It's all about context. A true freshman's season is viewed through a different lens than a fifth year senior's.

I can agree with this, but I think Syracuse fans in general have over hyped Richardson in general this year. If I said he and Cooney had the same shooting percentage from 3 people wouldn't believe me until they looked at the stats.

I'm more bullish on Lydon's future prospects, as he just is in general a more efficient player offensively and defensively, and fits today's NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom