I got accepted to the Georgetown MBA program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I got accepted to the Georgetown MBA program

Not true. One of my best friends got his MBA at Georgetown, and we talk basketball all of the time, unfortunately. He also went to UConn undergrad. Why, you ask, is he one of my best friends? Can't pick your realtives, and can't pick where your friends go to school!!
You can certainly pick your friends. And my cousin nearly went to gtown. He still would have been my cousin, but my opinion of him would have changed.

What it really came down to was money. GW is $75,000, G'town is $114,000. NASA was willing to pick up the tab for GW, not for G'town. I would have actually rather gone to G'town (and proudly wear my orange every single day), but it came down to money, and being able to reject them was just a nice bonus.

Are you getting shut down because of the sequester? Us mopes at the field centers got the axe on all training budget (travel specifically, but I can't imagine fellowships are far behind on the hit list).

Two years ago a girl from my high school (tall, hot blonde) wanted to go to an su/gtown game and sit in the student section with myself and others from my high school who were enrolled at Syracuse. She went to Georgetown.

Told her it was probably not in her best interest to sit with us. F gtown (although, I dislike uconn/Pitt/lville more).

What it really came down to was money. GW is $75,000, G'town is $114,000. NASA was willing to pick up the tab for GW, not for G'town. I would have actually rather gone to G'town (and proudly wear my orange every single day), but it came down to money, and being able to reject them was just a nice bonus.
Build me a rocket... Now.

Are you getting shut down because of the sequester? Us mopes at the field centers got the axe on all training budget (travel specifically, but I can't imagine fellowships are far behind on the hit list).

We've planned pretty well (knock on wood), so far so good. The crazy thing is, since HQ has an older workforce than the centers, the Graduate Study Program is pretty light on applicants. There's always the risk you can get cut, but hopeful I can make it through unscathed.

Haven't been to JSC in a while, we'll have to do lunch or drinks next time I'm down there. Still working MOD?

And they launch with ESSSSEEEEEECEEEEE SPEED!
What do you do at NASA besides obliterating incoming earth ending asteroids with the help of Bruce Willis?

I mean you personally, not NASA in general.

We've planned pretty well (knock on wood), so far so good. The crazy thing is, since HQ has an older workforce than the centers, the Graduate Study Program is pretty light on applicants. There's always the risk you can get cut, but hopeful I can make it through unscathed.

Haven't been to JSC in a while, we'll have to do lunch or drinks next time I'm down there. Still working MOD?

Yessir. Back on the station side of the house again now. I was at HQ two weeks ago but it was in and out and didn't have time to drop by to see you.

I used to work in Georgetown and was on or near campus a lot, and granted this was in the early 2000s, the nadir of their program, but never once was my SU-vanity-plated car egged or anything, nor was there any reaction at all when I wore any SU gear (With the exception of the day after the 2003 title game).

So yeah I would agree that the university is separate to some degree from the team. It doesn't help them that it's hard to get in and out of the area if you lack a car, and there's no subway station there, so getting to the Verizon Center is probably a pain for a lot of students.

So what you are saying is that you turned down "highly-qualified" people because you didn't want to have conversations with them about basketball?

My experience with GU students and alums is that the great majority of them don't really care about basketball. For those who actually are aware of the team, their knowledge and support of the team is really thin. Not surprising in that they are very bright, hard working students from all over the country. They would feel more at home in the library than at the Verizon Center or the US Air Arena that was half way to Annapolis.

The older Georgetown alumni didn't like the original JT. They thought he had kidnapped the GU basketball program and had made it into the National Black Team, the darling of the Liberal media and gang bangers from coast to coast.

I have lived here (DC) for 35 years since leaving SU. It's true that some old alums (over 60 by now) don't approve of Hoya paranoia. For example, I worked on the Hill with a guy who played hoop pre JT and whose rebounding marks were broken by Craig Shelton. He hated JT because, among other reasons, he wanted nothing to do with their alumni. But make no mistake, current Hoya students and recent grads (since JT era) are almost uniformly . Many with severe inferiority complexes resulting from their Ivy rejections, from which they've never appropriately recovered. And they DO care about hoop. Which makes them all the more insufferable. My son, now at SU (playing club hockey BTW like SU2NASA) once attended a summer academic program for rising HS juniors at Gtown, while a student at Gonzaga in DC. Kids from all over the country attended. At the orientation, some administrator makes the school pitch to the kids, noting that "once a Hoya, always a Hoya". I made immediate eye contact with my son, who was wearing a hand-me-down "Cuse is in the House oh my God" t-shirt at the time. He shook is head no. We laughed. He wore a different SU t-shirt every day to class that summer -- hoop, LAX, everything -- and talked smack with teachers for 2 months. Folks on this board won't care, but I loathe them for another reason: their suppression, even hostility toward their Catholic identity. I am a traditional Catholic (my daughter graduated from Visitation next door to GU) and have always resented how they are ashamed to be Catholic (covering religious symbols when Obama or Clinton -- an alum-- came to speak). There is NO ONE on this board who hates everything they represent more than me. And while I know there's sentiment to continue to play them, I say let's win Sat and then say you know what ...

I have lived here (DC) for 35 years since leaving SU. It's true that some old alums (over 60 by now) don't approve of Hoya paranoia. For example, I worked on the Hill with a guy who played hoop pre JT and whose rebounding marks were broken by Craig Shelton. He hated JT because, among other reasons, he wanted nothing to do with their alumni. But make no mistake, current Hoya students and recent grads (since JT era) are almost uniformly . Many with severe inferiority complexes resulting from their Ivy rejections, from which they've never appropriately recovered. And they DO care about hoop. Which makes them all the more insufferable. My son, now at SU (playing club hockey BTW like SU2NASA) once attended a summer academic program for rising HS juniors at Gtown, while a student at Gonzaga in DC. Kids from all over the country attended. At the orientation, some administrator makes the school pitch to the kids, noting that "once a Hoya, always a Hoya". I made immediate eye contact with my son, who was wearing a hand-me-down "Cuse is in the House oh my God" t-shirt at the time. He shook is head no. We laughed. He wore a different SU t-shirt every day to class that summer -- hoop, LAX, everything -- and talked smack with teachers for 2 months. Folks on this board won't care, but I loathe them for another reason: their suppression, even hostility toward their Catholic identity. I am a traditional Catholic (my daughter graduated from Visitation next door to GU) and have always resented how they are ashamed to be Catholic (covering religious symbols when Obama or Clinton -- an alum-- came to speak). There is NO ONE on this board who hates everything they represent more than me. And while I know there's sentiment to continue to play them, I say let's win Sat and then say you know what ...
Same Jesuits at Georgetown as Gonzaga.

Same Jesuits at Georgetown as Gonzaga.
Indeed, Indeed. And of course JTIII went there as well, which I admit makes it harder for me to hate him as much as the old man.

Two years ago a girl from my high school (tall, hot blonde) wanted to go to an su/gtown game and sit in the student section with myself and others from my high school who were enrolled at Syracuse. She went to Georgetown.

Told her it was probably not in her best interest to sit with us. F gtown (although, I dislike uconn/Pitt/lville more).

There are many clueless people in the world.

I know lots of Georgetown alums in DC through my church, my neighborhood and because members of my family attended Jesuit high schools in DC. Georgetown 35 years ago wasn't the Georgetown you see today. It was just another urban Jesuit school like St.Joes or Fordham or Xavier or Detroit or any of the various Loyolas.

It's been suggested to me --- once they discover I am an SU grad -- that we all ought to go to an SU v. GU game together. "Wouldn't that be fun.", they say.

My head spins when I hear the suggestion and I ask myself, "How can these guys be soooo clueless?". The answer, of course, is that they don't "get it". They will go and root for GU but they really don't care who wins. Not really.

I have thought, "I wonder how much fun it would be for them and their wives when I started calling JT a cs'er and calling the players "thugs"? Not much, I expect. This crowd would have me pegged as a maniac, which of course, is essentially correct.

Indeed, Indeed. And of course JTIII went there as well, which I admit makes it harder for me to hate him as much as the old man.

JT III is no where near as objectionable as the old man. I wonder how JTIII had the guts to get out from the old man's thumb and recruit Nate Lubick.

I'll never root for GU in anything. But the fires have definitely died down.

JT III is no where near as objectionable as the old man. I wonder how JTIII had the guts to get out from the old man's thumb and recruit Nate Lubick.

I'll never root for GU in anything. But the fires have definitely died down.

When I returned to law school at SU from DC, I had real season tickets with the locals in sec 305. When GU came to town one year, the woman next to me says, "Georgetown's an all black school" perhaps confused with Howard U. LOL, I clued her in on the nature of the campus, their students, alumni, etc. But you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise those days. I knew Hill colleagues who tutored hoop players and their stories confirmed the worst suspicions.

He takes the requirements from the customer and he gives them to the engineers. He's GOOD WITH PEOPLE!!

Just watched this again the other night.

Everyone in America should be required to watch Office Space. It is a view inside of much of corporate America that those inside recognize as true and those outside it find implausible.

When I returned to law school at SU from DC, I had real season tickets with the locals in sec 305. When GU came to town one year, the woman next to me says, "Georgetown's an all black school" perhaps confused with Howard U. LOL, I clued her in on the nature of the campus, their students, alumni, etc. But you'd be forgiven for thinking otherwise those days. I knew Hill colleagues who tutored hoop players and their stories confirmed the worst suspicions.

I know lots of people on the West Coast who believed Georgetown was a historically black school. They may have been confusing it with Georgetown College in Kentucky, which I think is a HBC.

So what you are saying is that you turned down "highly-qualified" people because you didn't want to have conversations with them about basketball?

That's exactly what I'm saying. How much integrity are you expecting to see on this board? I have the maturity of an 8 year old.

I overshot with highly qualified. Should have said qualified, but I knew they would have received a great education.

My hiring discrimination practices also apply to Virginia Tech grads.

The students are s. Listen to them scream and curse old ladies wearing orange tomorrow as they line up outside the Verizon Center.

My favorite part is always the Safety School chatter after SU victories. A couple years ago a student told me that across the street from Clydes, as we were watching the Orange celebration in front of the restaurant. I told him that this is why no girls ever want to make out with him. Usually that fires people up, but in this case, I think I was right, because it really seemed to upset him. I almost felt bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom