I guess we won't jump Arizona

AccuRater

2nd String
But consider these:

RPI - Cuse #1 - Arizona #11
SOS - Cuse #14 - Arizona #105
VS top 25 - Cuse 2-0 - Arizona 0-0
VS top 50 - Cuse 4-0 - Arizona 2-0
Since Monday, Cuse beat #8 Villanova, Arizona beat Northern Arizona, unranked - Record 2-8

I'll grant that December rankings don't much matter. But how does Arizona deserve #1?

But consider these:

RPI - Cuse #1 - Arizona #11
SOS - Cuse #14 - Arizona #105
VS top 25 - Cuse 2-0 - Arizona 0-0
VS top 50 - Cuse 4-0 - Arizona 2-0
Since Monday, Cuse beat #8 Villanova, Arizona beat Northern Arizona, unranked - Record 2-8

I'll grant that December rankings don't much matter. But how does Arizona deserve #1?

There is no team that stands out to this point in the season as being clearly dominant. We are as good as any team in the country. Period.

Teams like UK, Duke, and Kansas--which were highly overrated heading into the season as a function of their freshman classes--aren't nearly as good as projected. We match up well with any team in the country, including Arizona. I'm biased--I believe we're better than them--best way to climb over them in the polls is to just keep winning.

IMO, RPI ranking is a bad measure to use to compare teams. I would keep RPI to the tourney selection, where at least its diminished. In terms of vs top 25, vs top 50 it gets more relevant because the larger groupings are generally accurate (even if some individual teams are a bit out of whack).

RPI SOS is also not that accurate either. That being said our OOC SOS of #14 (while inaccurate), could be a factor that helps us get that one seed.

RPI says we have played a great schedule (#14). but if we use a better metric like KenPom our schedule is #190. Arizona is #158. Not that its horrible - most top teams have SOS per KenPom over 100. And when you add in schedule, Arizona and Syracuse are still #4 and #5 overall. Only Kansas has had a really good schedule this far at #6. Remember that many garbage teams are forced to play many games on the road, so there schedule is undervalued by RPI.

At the end of the day a healthy discussion can be had between who is #1 - Arizona or Syracuse. Not sure why you would want to bring something flawed into the debate like the RPI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom