I had forgotten... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I had forgotten...

Upstate NY is everything north of NYC and is further subdivided by regions such as central NY, Western NY, the southern tier, the capital district, the Finger Lakes Region and others.

That is the most common and widely accepted definition.

You may not like it but you should learn to live with it because that's the way it is, and it's not likely to change.
That's how I think of it but having seen many discussions on the topic, I'm skeptical about any common definition being "widely accepted".

If this is going to turn into a Upstate NY debate I am ready to die on that hill (in Westchester Co).

This just made me laugh. Not sure if it was the thought of the fresh spring crop of meth being planted or the faded scent of chocolate never to be smelled again.
I believe nearby Lake Neatahwanta has the record for the most poop in a lake in the world. It is at least a strong contender.

When you’re from NYC, Kingston is most definitely upstate. :)
If you polled NYC residents, most would tell you NYS ended around Kingston also...maybe even Middletown

Only if you ara from NYC
Upstate NY is everything north of NYC and is further subdivided by regions such as central NY, Western NY, the southern tier, the capital district, the Finger Lakes Region and others.

That is the most common and widely accepted definition.

You may not like it but you should learn to live with it because that's the way it is, and it's not likely to change.

There are houses in Syracuse for sale at $300,000 that would cost over a million in many other places in the U.S. Despite its inferiority complex, I regard the quality of life in Central New York as far above the norm --as long as you can deal with snow.

$300K for a whole house? That'll get you a closet here in Monterey Bay. $800K is a starter home. Then again, you're in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I have never had to board my house up, drive 100 miles away and wonder what i was returning to in the wake of hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, earthquakes or volcanic eruptions. Blizzards can be bad but they melt after a few days.

Nobody boards up their house to prepare for an earthquake. If we could we would.

When you’re from NYC, Kingston is most definitely upstate. :)

Decades ago I came up with what I thought was a good (if imperfect) rule for resolving the Upstate/downstate dividing line dilemma: If you can't get there on a commuter train from NYC you're in Upstate NY.

So by that rule, Kingston is definitely Upstate.

This worked pretty well until Metro North started extending their lines further north. Oh well. :)

Last edited:
Decades ago I came up with what I thought was a good (if imperfect) rule for resolving the Upstate/downstate dividing line dilemma: If you can't get there on a commuter train from NYC you're in Upstate NY.

So by that rule, Kingston is definitely Upstate.

This worked pretty well until Metro North started extending their lines further north. Oh well. :)

If you think Kingston is Upstate, you aren't from Upstate.

There is no universal rule with this .. I’m from Rockland and think Orange county is upstate...all my family from Long Island and nyc think Rocklands upstate.

$300K for a whole house? That'll get you a closet here in Monterey Bay. $800K is a starter home. Then again, you're in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Not only that, the $800,000 postage stamp you live in is vulnerable to California earthquakes and fires --or as the local's refer to it --shake and bake.

FIFY.

Those $300k houses have the same taxes as the $1,000,000 places from downstate.
Which, frankly - is absurd.

True. In fact you might be understating it. On the other hand, New York is a service rich state with better public schools that almost any other state. And removing all that snow costs something.

Places with low taxes pay for it in other ways that diminish the common good.

I live in Howard County, Maryland. Last year we had more snow days than inches of snow. One day snow was cancelled when you could still see the grass. My boys walked back from the bus pick up spot when it never showed up. It never occurred to us that school would be cancelled.

True. In fact you might be understating it. On the other hand, New York is a service rich state with better public schools that almost any other state. And removing all that snow costs something.

Places with low taxes pay for it in other ways that diminish the common good.

I live in Howard County, Maryland. Last year we had more snow days than inches of snow. One day snow was cancelled when you could still see the grass. My boys walked back from the bus pick up spot when it never showed up. It never occurred to us that school would be cancelled.
With poor infrastructure, lesser school systems including lower teacher salaries among other losses

SC has it's issues but while I put up with these things, it still is a good trade-off for a retired person. Still miss Upstate in the good months, especially the beautiful Fall season.

Not only that, the $800,000 postage stamp you live in is vulnerable to California earthquakes and fires --or as the local's refer to it --shake and bake.
The whole country is vulnerable to earthquakes and fires. You could look it up. But I guess if only we raked more leaves we'd all be safer. Me, I'm wishing for a good old fashioned tornado.

Last edited:
The whole country is vulnerable to earthquakes and fires. You could look it up. But I guess if only we raked more leaves we'd all be safer. Me, I'm wishing for a good old fashioned tornado.

Not like they have out there. We get an occasional "What was that?" tremor from the Adirondacks or a summertime no-burn edict but entire towns don't disappear from the map.

Last edited:
For the upstate/downstate discussion. Just because you are FROM downstate does not mean you get to determine where the dividing line is. Culture, social norms, etc... play the major part in the divide. The below map is the definitive dividing line. There are shades of grey on both sides of the divide, but it most definitely essentially runs along the Interstate 88 corridor. Those places to the south typically share similar values to downstate, those north of the line typically displays similar values to upstate. If you chumps would like me to show you the dividing lines of the various sub-regions in upstate NY, I can do that as well. The sub-regions in upstate are almost more important than the upstate/downstate discussion.

map-of-new-york-cities.jpg