I had forgotten... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I had forgotten...

Not like they have out there. We get an occasional "What was that?" tremor form the Adirondacks or a summertime no-burn edict but entire towns don't disappear from the map.
To a degree you know not of what you speak. We haven't had an earthquake of any significance in 30 years. You're going on hype I imagine. People here don't sit around fretting about the next big one. Most buildings, bridges, etc are retrofitted against quakes. The last one of any magnitude was the 7.1 centered in my backyard in 1989 while I was at game 3 of the WS at Candlestick. Lots of structural changes since then. Nearly every one since has been in the 2s, which pretty much can't be felt.

As for no burn we've had that in effect for maybe 40 years. It owes to the fact that it doesn't rain here from late April until October or November. It's prime growing season. The Mediterranean climate, days in the 70s, nights in the 50s most of the year. You get summer rain back East. When you throw in years of drought here from climate change it makes for the volatility of the fires we had last season, which were truly awful. California is a very progressive state on dealing with climate change. My son is a firefighter/paramedic who gets called out on wild fires. Scary stuff.

To a degree you know not of what you speak. We haven't had an earthquake of any significance in 30 years. You're going on hype I imagine. People here don't sit around fretting about the next big one. Most buildings, bridges, etc are retrofitted against quakes. The last one of any magnitude was the 7.1 centered in my backyard in 1989 while I was at game 3 of the WS at Candlestick. Lots of structural changes since then. Nearly every one since has been in the 2s, which pretty much can't be felt.

As for no burn we've had that in effect for maybe 40 years. It owes to the fact that it doesn't rain here from late April until October or November. It's prime growing season. The Mediterranean climate, days in the 70s, nights in the 50s most of the year. You get summer rain back East. When you throw in years of drought here from climate change it makes for the volatility of the fires we had last season, which were truly awful. California is a very progressive state on dealing with climate change. My son is a firefighter/paramedic who gets called out on wild fires. Scary stuff.

My post was in support of a prior statement that conditions here are not comparable to California. I don't think we disagree on that.

For the upstate/downstate discussion. Just because you are FROM downstate does not mean you get to determine where the dividing line is. Culture, social norms, etc... play the major part in the divide. The below map is the definitive dividing line. There are shades of grey on both sides of the divide, but it most definitely essentially runs along the Interstate 88 corridor. Those places to the south typically share similar values to downstate, those north of the line typically displays similar values to upstate. If you chumps would like me to show you the dividing lines of the various sub-regions in upstate NY, I can do that as well. The sub-regions in upstate are almost more important than the upstate/downstate discussion.

View attachment 162785

Basically, turn west when you get to Albany and you are in the Midwest.

But we down south have the never ending season of pollen. Yellow , yellow everywhere.

Yeah that’s kind of nasty. Fortunately I don’t have bad allergies.

Interesting thing you find when you move south is those who had allergies in the north usually do not in the south and vice versa.

For the upstate/downstate discussion. Just because you are FROM downstate does not mean you get to determine where the dividing line is. Culture, social norms, etc... play the major part in the divide. The below map is the definitive dividing line. There are shades of grey on both sides of the divide, but it most definitely essentially runs along the Interstate 88 corridor. Those places to the south typically share similar values to downstate, those north of the line typically displays similar values to upstate. If you chumps would like me to show you the dividing lines of the various sub-regions in upstate NY, I can do that as well. The sub-regions in upstate are almost more important than the upstate/downstate discussion.

View attachment 162785

Yeah, let's see some of these subregions you're discussing.

If you think Kingston is Upstate, you aren't from Upstate.

Oh but I am. Born and bred on the banks of a long little ditch called Erie. And not just me but up to 6 generations of my ancestors, depending on which branch you follow. You'd be hard pressed to find someone with more Upstate bonafides.

I considered my Metro North based rule as a way of being generous to my downstate college buddies who thought Yonkers was Upstate.