I hate football coaches... | Syracusefan.com

I hate football coaches...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Why nto go for the throat and the touchdown? Why??? God that's frustrating. Where's Millhouse, he'll know where I'm coming from.

Complete control of the game, and you give away momentum like that? Why?

i hate 3 predictable runs in a row... i want to slap marrone in the face for that... then run away as fast as i can

Why nto go for the throat and the touchdown? Why??? God that's frustrating. Where's Millhouse, he'll know where I'm coming from.

I think Deleone called in that play...

reminded me of the nc state game in the dome. fumbled on the goal line. dee brown i think it was. but we recovered and got the win tonight. that's all that matters.

reminded me of the nc state game in the dome. fumbled on the goal line. dee brown i think it was. but we recovered and got the win tonight. that's all that matters.
I was thinking the same exact thing when watching. And Clockwork is right... gotta go for the TD.

Conservative coaches call a conservative game.

Which would have made it the perfect time to run play action on 3rd down.

Absolutely agree. HCDM's case for the play calling in this instance would be Wake is out of TOs, the 2nd string QB is in and Krautman has been automatic. I still would have gone play action. If it's not wide open, get towards the middle of the field and take a knee.

That's the type of play calling that makes me yell at the screen and say fire the coach! Of course, the Wake Forest coach was just as bad letting the clock run out and letting the game go to OT. I'll take the win no matter how unimpressive it may be.

That's the type of play calling that makes me yell at the screen and say fire the coach! Of course, the Wake Forest coach was just as bad letting the clock run out and letting the game go to OT. I'll take the win no matter how unimpressive it may be.
Yeah, that was odd. What do you have to lose with a Hail Mary?

From what I saw, I'm guessing the coach did not think his backup QB could make the throw and figured he take it to overtime and fall back to his power run game.

And this why a lot of Wake fans despise Grobe sometimes he is too conservative. The running out 2min in the 1st half and the going to over time at the 40 with 50 some seconds left just ticks us off.

on the flip side Nassib had no time to throw all game. even the 2 big plays at the end were pretty tough. i didnt like the calls for runs on all 3 plays, but i can live with trying to let you kicker put you ahead in a tie game.

He was def trying to set up the kicker for the win. The final run was designed to go to the middle to set us up between the hashes yet a blitz from the outside kept the ball on the left hash. I believe the delay of game was to try and get a better angel seeing that it was a mega short field goal. But who cares we won!

I think that final delay on the FG was more the coaches trying to get too cute with the play clock. It's not like it was a super-short FG where the angle really comes into play. Looked like they wanted to hold them on the sidelines as long as possible then send it in with just enough time to make the call and snap it just before the play clock expired. The problem seemed to be that it took the line too long to get the call from Loeb and there was absolutely no urgency from the players to get lined up for the kick. I have to imagine they'll be running that drill a few more times in practice this week.

I wanted a dump off to Harris/Stevens/Provo. Low risk, but gives us at least a shot of converting.

If that kick is good, Marrone is a genius for burning a lot of clock and forcing WF to use their TOs. :rolleyes:

From what I saw, I'm guessing the coach did not think his backup QB could make the throw and figured he take it to overtime and fall back to his power run game.
which makes it even more amazing that with a 3rd and 4 in OT they don't use those 2 plays to convert the third down and keep marching toward the endzone. Instead they call 2 low percentage shots at the endzone with their backup QB - it was like they didn't understand that you can get a first down in OT and only got 4 downs to get in the endzone from the 25. Just baffling playcalling on their part.

It reminded me of the 1998 Tennessee game.

If Price had still been in the game, I would agree 100%. But here's why I disagree:
- we had the ball easily within Krautman's range, who had hit 16 in a row and was kicking in the friendly confines of the dome.
- Wake would have had 2:00 to work with, no TOs left, in front of a hostile road crowd, with a back-up QB who had been completely unable to move the ball.

If I'm Marrone, I like those odds, and in hind sight, if the kick wasn't blocked, we win the game in regulation.

On the other hand, if Nassib gets picked or sacked, or we get a holding penalty called on a pass play, we surrender the chance to win.

My only gripe with the playcalling in that situation is if you make the decision to play for the FG, why not have Nassib take the 3rd down snap and take a knee right between the hash marks?

Edit: Toga, just saw your previous post, which said essentially what I did.

If Price had still been in the game, I would agree 100%. But here's why I disagree:
- we had the ball easily within Krautman's range, who had hit 16 in a row and was kicking in the friendly confines of the dome.
- Wake would have had 2:00 to work with, no TOs left, in front of a hostile road crowd, with a back-up QB who had been completely unable to move the ball.

If I'm Marrone, I like those odds, and in hind sight, if the kick wasn't blocked, we win the game in regulation.

On the other hand, if Nassib gets picked or sacked, or we get a holding penalty called on a pass play, we surrender the chance to win.

My only gripe with the playcalling in that situation is if you make the decision to play for the FG, why not have Nassib take the 3rd down snap and take a knee right between the hash marks?

That's just it though, everything in the 4th quarter up to that point, SU was imposing their will. Everything was clicking, everything working. I'm not necessarily looking for TD there, but what about a first down? Go for something that is there, and if it isn't throw the ball away. What do you lose? Absolutely nothing. There's conservative, and super conservative. Three straight runs is super conservative. Play action or roll out was there all 4th quarter. It's not a big chance, no more then Bailey fumbling again, so why not do it? Even if he had made the FG I would feel the same way. Go for a FG when Wake would still have plenty of time (two minutes is an eternity in college football) to score a TD. It's just not the right move there, plain and simple. And with all of that said, I still have a giant man crush on Coach Marrone.

What I didn't get at all is the 2nd down play which went wide to the right thus putting the ball on the right hash. It looked like we then tried to maybe run something left but WF knew what we were doing and forced it straight ahead thus leaving it on the right hash. A right footed FG kicker likes the left hash better than the right hash I am pretty sure. Still, it was blocked so it didn't really matter.

Bees they play was right in front of me and you are correct, they did try to run Bailey to the left but WF blitzed and shut that down pretty quick keeping it to the right hash. I believe the delay of game was purposeful to try and offere a better angle. The issue was the snap on that play. Watching the replays on all the xp's snaps were the issue all night and Loeb saved us on multiple occasions.