I hate the fact that Syracuse == Zone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I hate the fact that Syracuse == Zone

Ask yourself this... would our current version of JB have recruited GMAC? I know in your world where JB is omniscient and can do no wrong we would... but I have doubts given how poorly GMAC played the zone.
Yes, he might still take GMac, he just took Cooney didn't he? JB has traditionally recruited for offense. He had GMac, Johnny Flynn, Devendorf, Dion, and now DC2 and Cooney. None of those taken for the zone. So when exactly has he changed?

Just who do you think he should pursue that he isn't? What basketball skilled player has he passed over for this zone athlete? Which recent recruit do you regret, let's hear it. You don't like Grant, MCW, BJ, Roberson, McC?

And let's not romanticize the GMac era too much. This recent era's slump year is something those bubble boys would have died for.

Ever wonder why there are great running QB's and great passing QBs but the ones who are considered to be great at both are the truly great players? Well it's just like that... when you recruit for the zone you are looking for tall/long/quick twitch athletes. I'm not saying these types of athletes can't play well in a half-court set but typically these types of athletes have relied on their athleticism rather than their basketball skills to get by... the great athletes who are also great basketball players tend to be the elite players in the game... Dion was one, Shabazz Muhammed, Melo was another one... but these types of players are few and far between.

I find it interesting that Duke recruits great basketball players rather than looking for the best athletes and year in year out their team is top 5 in the country. Now compare to UNC which since Roy Boy has gotten there has fallen into the trap of recruiting athletes and look how inconsistent they are. When they have basketball players they are good when they just have athletes they aren't so great.

Ask yourself this... would our current version of JB have recruited GMAC? I know in your world where JB is omniscient and can do no wrong we would... but I have doubts given how poorly GMAC played the zone.

I don't think the great QB's have been able to run. Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Dan Marino couldn't run. What are you talking about? North Carolina has won the national title twice since Roy has been there. Almost every kid when he gets to college has relied on his athleticism in high school. Even kids that go to Duke as crazy as that might be for you to believe. I know we just lost by 20 to Georgetown but some of the crap that is being written on here is insane.

So you think our defense is the problem? Playing the zone has nothing to do with our lack of scoring. Unless you think we recruit players we think will be good in the zone but have no ability to score. Is that what you are saying? I'm not trying to be patronizing but this doesn't make sense to me.

I think it can have something to do with the lack of scoring especially when we are struggling to shoot from the outside. By playing zone we limit the # of possessions in the game as it's easier for an opponent to slow the game down. The key for our opponent is they have to stay in the game early and avoid any big runs by SU (i.e. quickly use timeouts at the first whiff of an SU run). I think this same blueprint to beat SU has been out there since the ND away game last year. Credit should be given to GTown today as their half court offense against the zone today was outstanding today especially when compared to SU's. I'm not saying we should change from zone nor am I advocating for a change as I know that will never happen with JB. The saying goes... you live by the zone and you die by the zone. This is why I would could see SU being bounced early or being some #2 or #3 seeds worst nightmare in the tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom