I HATE the NFL overtime rule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I HATE the NFL overtime rule

The Current NFL OT rules are fine. If you can't stop a team from getting a TD on the first possession then you get a possession. GB played a horrible defense with no deep safeties on that TD. If GB held them out of the endzone they get their chance.

I hate the college OT. Move the starting possession to the 50 if they are going to do it the way they do. Starting at the 25 is a joke and puts you at 42 yd FG range with 0 yards gained. If I was in charge of college I would either move the starting spot back or just play it normal with each team being guaranteed the ball. Punting/returns/non-FG special teams are completely a non-factor in college OT and that is wrong.

The Current NFL OT rules are fine. If you can't stop a team from getting a TD on the first possession then you get a possession. GB played a horrible defense with no deep safeties on that TD. If GB held them out of the endzone they get their chance.

I hate the college OT. Move the starting possession to the 50 if they are going to do it the way they do. Starting at the 25 is a joke and puts you at 42 yd FG range with 0 yards gained. If I was in charge of college I would either move the starting spot back or just play it normal with each team being guaranteed the ball. Punting/returns/non-FG special teams are completely a non-factor in college OT and that is wrong.

That's not the rule. it should be. As you say "If I was in charge of college I would either move the starting spot back or just play it normal with each team being guaranteed the ball."

Punting, returns and non-FG special teams not being involved is not a great loss to college OT. Decide it on plays form scrimmage.

The college rule is designed to be fair to both teams in the NCAA D-1AA, D-2, and D-3 playoffs. They would much rather have the teams go through 6 rounds of trading scores than 6 scoreless rounds, which is much less likely with the ball on the 25. No one foresaw that the rule would be used for regular season games in all the divisions. Maybe move it to the 35 so you have to gain something or go for a 52-yarder? The NFL's rule is designed to get the 1 PM game over as quickly as possible so TV can switch to the 4 PM game, and for the 4 PM game to be over as quickly as possible so the networks can switch to their regular programming. To the NFL, the ideal situation is that every overtime kickoff gets run back for a TD; game over. The "can't win on a FG" rule change came about only because enough sports writers and fans ridiculed the old situation.

The college rule is designed to be fair to both teams in the NCAA D-1AA, D-2, and D-3 playoffs. They would much rather have the teams go through 6 rounds of trading scores than 6 scoreless rounds, which is much less likely with the ball on the 25. No one foresaw that the rule would be used for regular season games in all the divisions. Maybe move it to the 35 so you have to gain something or go for a 52-yarder? The NFL's rule is designed to get the 1 PM game over as quickly as possible so TV can switch to the 4 PM game, and for the 4 PM game to be over as quickly as possible so the networks can switch to their regular programming. To the NFL, the ideal situation is that every overtime kickoff gets run back for a TD; game over. The "can't win on a FG" rule change came about only because enough sports writers and fans ridiculed the old situation.

NFL overtimes have the potential to last longer than college overtimes. Sometimes they play an entire period without scoring. The amoutn of time college OTs take really isn't that great. The score mounts more than the time.

NFL would never do the college OT rule because stats in the NFL = cash. If they had all those TDs it would inflate stats in FA and towards $$$.

If the college ball started at the 50 and if the team starting with the ball didn't score and punted on 4th down if not in FG range that is how I would do it.

Nah. If you can't stop someone from driving 80+ yards on you with your back to the wall, you don't deserve another chance.

Defense should be a part of the equation.

But why shouldn't defense be a part of the equation for both teams if they played to a tie in regulation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom