Incredibly Frustrating For The Coaching Staff | Syracusefan.com

Incredibly Frustrating For The Coaching Staff

jordoo

Living Legend
OK, I will preface by saying I haven't read any of the Clemson in game or post game threads.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for Red and the staff.

Judah: So emotionally immature that he tries to beat Girard at his own game. When was the last time Judah shot that many long jumpers. Clemson dared him to shot when they were in good rebounding position and he fell for it over and over again.

JJ: Very low in game awareness of anything other than what's right in front of him. Must lead the conference in live ball turnovers that are easy run outs for the other team. So bad on defense that he had to be taken out of the game for a long stretch.

Copeland: So much potential, so close to being great but man stupid fouls, constant yapping, making easy plays difficult. He's made fewer poor decisions over the course of the season but the timing is often devastating from a momentum standpoint.

Bell: Focus comes and goes and the effort is lacking when he isn't focused.

These are just observations from this game and are certainly things the staff has been coaching these guys on all season. I can't imagine watching Judah launch a 3 when we haven't yet attempted to run any offense. JJ sleepily tossing the ball backwards to an opponent. Cope reaching in to foul Girard when we are about to get a 10 second call. Bell missing a shot and wandering off into slow motion jogging land. And in general a bunch of guys taking bad jump shots without trying to get Bell shots.

I feel like the staff has conceded that we aren't going to be great guarding the post or rebounding. They countered with coaching up the offense. That has been working. The second game against Clemson was the same as the first with Judah and JJ not running the offense and instead looking for there own while also allowing the Clemson back court to be efficient.

Clemson is a better team and they played well but as a fan I get frustrated watching kids go against the coaching. I can't imagine telling the players in a game and have them argue with you. Its really a MIRACLE that we have won 20 regular season games. The team is basically 6.5 guys.

Anyways it would have been nice to see us play offense like we have been since the last Clemson game rather than what we saw last night. We may not have won but it would have been a much more competitive game. I will also add that they guys never folded up shop they did keep fighting till the end. I look forward to the ACCT.

Yesterday was very disappointing for a few reasons but the end score wasn’t surprising. Really started to believe we could make it interesting by pulling that one off though..

The team is basically 6.5 guys.
we have regressed to the boeheimian rotation. dudes playing full 40. and that's tough in a tournament.

The good news is also that our players are relatively young and if they are back next year the coaching staff will have another year to teach them how to play in certain situations and improve so it doesn't happen again and again next season.

If the coaching staff doesn't think improvements can be made, they need to replace them with different players.

Poor play and poor decisions are not exclusive to Syracuse players. Look around college basketball. It's often not a pretty sight.

Judah: So emotionally immature that he tries to beat Girard at his own game. When was the last time Judah shot that many long jumpers. Clemson dared him to shot when they were in good rebounding position and he fell for it over and over again.

The only thing that really bothered me LN was the above... Really dumb game at the point for Judah trying to battle JG at his own game. Girard played him like a fiddle.

Proof-positive we need a real point guard that has the ability of making good decisions with the ball and making those around them better.

The game played out to type otherwise. We were going to need a flawless game execution to pull off a W, as Clemson are a bad matchup for us. We did have some good play and went on some runs, but we simply couldn't stop them from scoring. When they did go on a few scoreless runs, they mostly missed makeable shots.

Hall put on a clinic and we saw how valuable a big, strong center with footwork and finishing skills is. Maliq just isn't big enough to guard guy like that and his role as tweener center got exploited to the max by Hall.

We need a real point guard and a big stud center in the portal.

McLeod isn't a starter IMO (if we want to beat good teams consistently.)

Watching Taylor not even face the basket on O was frustrating for me.
More frustrating watching Taylor wide open in the corner every trip down. Teams are totally ignoring him, knowing he's never going to get the ball. Yes, his shooting has been bad and his confidence has to be shaken, but how can it ever improve if he doesn't get at least an attempt. Judah completely ignores him. Wonder if they've ever been introduced.

Defensively, we didn’t take anything away. Make a decision to take away the inside by doubling down or take away the three. We didn’t do either. We gave them both.

One note, we did double a few times. However, when Q would come to double, he would try to swipe instead of positional D. Not sure if that was by design or not (guessing, no), and Hall et al would just spin away from it and get an easy bucket. Q was help for Maliq at least 2-3 times and at least once for JT on #4.

Everyone knows I love Maliq and I don't want to absolve him of any responsibility, to be clear, but the doubles from Q weren't great.

With that said, the way JJ and Judah were defending the pick and roll left a lot to be desired and put a lot of pressure on our inside guys. Again -- Maliq is not free of criticism here.

Bigger picture, I agree we needed to commit more to stopping the inside game. Later in the game, Maliq started fronting Hall and did push him off his spot where Hall would then shift to go set a high ball screen.

Your point stands though. Agree.

One of the things I mentioned before the game that I was concerned about was whether Judah would focus more on outplaying Joe versus helping the team win the game. 0-4 from 3pt hurt. He's now at 29.3% for the year. He's a red hot 23% from 3pt the last 5 games.

Judah last night: 8-21 FG; 0-4 3pt; 4-7 FT; 3 Reb; 4 assists; 1 TO; 20 pts
Joe last night: 5-8 FG; 4-7 3pt; 7-7 FT; 3 Reb; 4 assists; 1 TO; 21 pts

Joe was better in just about every aspect of the game. He was much more efficient, played within the flow of the game, and did what was needed to help Clemson win.

OK, I will preface by saying I haven't read any of the Clemson in game or post game threads.

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for Red and the staff.

JJ: Very low in game awareness of anything other than what's right in front of him. Must lead the conference in live ball turnovers that are easy run outs for the other team. So bad on defense that he had to be taken out of the game for a long stretch.

Copeland: So much potential, so close to being great but man stupid fouls, constant yapping, making easy plays difficult. He's made fewer poor decisions over the course of the season but the timing is often devastating from a momentum standpoint.

Bell: Focus comes and goes and the effort is lacking when he isn't focused.

These are just observations from this game and are certainly things the staff has been coaching these guys on all season. I can't imagine watching Judah launch a 3 when we haven't yet attempted to run any offense. JJ sleepily tossing the ball backwards to an opponent. Cope reaching in to foul Girard when we are about to get a 10 second call. Bell missing a shot and wandering off into slow motion jogging land. And in general a bunch of guys taking bad jump shots without trying to get Bell shots.

I feel like the staff has conceded that we aren't going to be great guarding the post or rebounding. They countered with coaching up the offense. That has been working. The second game against Clemson was the same as the first with Judah and JJ not running the offense and instead looking for there own while also allowing the Clemson back court to be efficient.

Clemson is a better team and they played well but as a fan I get frustrated watching kids go against the coaching. I can't imagine telling the players in a game and have them argue with you. Its really a MIRACLE that we have won 20 regular season games. The team is basically 6.5 guys.

Anyways it would have been nice to see us play offense like we have been since the last Clemson game rather than what we saw last night. We may not have won but it would have been a much more competitive game. I will also add that they guys never folded up shop they did keep fighting till the end. I look forward to the ACCT.
We struggled to run offense against their zone. Not enough decisive movements and passing from the Cuse guys. The defense also struggled because we were totally overmatched in the paint against their size and bulk.

The Clemson game really highlighted our must-haves in the off-season. The little run we made covered up some of those issues so people started feeling comfortable with bringing the team back as is but if we want to off the bubble and move up back to where we belong the roster still needs a major shack-up and the Clemson game only highlighted those.

We struggled to run offense against their zone. Not enough decisive movements and passing from the Cuse guys.

Yeah, only 9 assists as a team. Compare that to Clemson's 17. I have to admit, Clemson looked like a solid team last night. They have a lot of good pieces.

More frustrating watching Taylor wide open in the corner every trip down. Teams are totally ignoring him, knowing he's never going to get the ball. Yes, his shooting has been bad and his confidence has to be shaken, but how can it ever improve if he doesn't get at least an attempt. Judah completely ignores him. Wonder if they've ever been introduced.
Judah is just trying to keep Taylor's shooting percentages up

I was very worried about the Judah vs Joe dynamic after the first game and it happened again. Judah can’t help it.

Give Girard credit - he didn’t try to force it. And he delivered when he had to.

Red has waited a while to be head coach and he’s rewarded with an odd team. I’m looking forward to seeing how he recruits going forward. Been a learning curve for him I’m sure. I bet he’ll prioritize some different things.

The staff has done GREAT this season. The players are young, and they have played hard. Really tired of all the Judah hate on here -- I think it's complete buffoonery and if you think we'd be better without him you don't know up from down. I'm disappointed that there isn't a tourney bid locked up for us but I am very confident the program is in good hands right now

The only thing that really bothered me LN was the above... Really dumb game at the point for Judah trying to battle JG at his own game. Girard played him like a fiddle.

Proof-positive we need a real point guard that has the ability of making good decisions with the ball and making those around them better.

The game played out to type otherwise. We were going to need a flawless game execution to pull off a W, as Clemson are a bad matchup for us. We did have some good play and went on some runs, but we simply couldn't stop them from scoring. When they did go on a few scoreless runs, they mostly missed makeable shots.

Hall put on a clinic and we saw how valuable a big, strong center with footwork and finishing skills is. Maliq just isn't big enough to guard guy like that and his role as tweener center got exploited to the max by Hall.

We need a real point guard and a big stud center in the portal.

McLeod isn't a starter IMO (if we want to beat good teams consistently.)
so many tweeners on this roster

almost everyone is, really

having players suited to their roles would really help next year

we have regressed to the boeheimian rotation. dudes playing full 40. and that's tough in a tournament.
I’m sorry but that is a naive statement to make.

Red has lost the equivalent of three starters this year between Westry, McLeod and Benny. Hima is a physical mess and Carey finds new ways to get hurt.

Who else would you like to see play more so we can feel good about a larger rotation?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom