I have no idea how good Jerome Smith is | Syracusefan.com

I have no idea how good Jerome Smith is

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
On the season Jerome rumbled for 1176 yards and 3 TDs, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

The TDs are low, but according to the school record books that's the 5th highest single season rushing yardage total we've ever had. He also had the 9th most carries in a single season. By most accounts he had an exceptional season.

Truth is though, I just don't know how good Smith really is, or can be. He obviously exceeded expectations this season - I feel safe guessing that no one would have thought he'd be 5th in the record books for single season rushing yardage. A similarly productive season would allow Smith to bump Rhodes off of the career list and put him in 10th all-time rushing. I understand there's some discussion about how much eligibility he has remaining, so he may even have another season in him.

I just never look at this guy and think that we're seeing one of the school greats. He's a good player that had his stats beefed up by a very effective run blocking line and a fast tempo offense that gave him a lot of opportunities.

How good is he though? I'm just not sure.

5.2 per carry is plenty good enough for a college RB who is supposed to be the big/power back. And remember, after that inexplicable backward-pass play against NW, he did not lose a fumble for the rest of the season.

On the season Jerome rumbled for 1176 yards and 3 TDs, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

The TDs are low, but according to the school record books that's the 5th highest single season rushing yardage total we've ever had. He also had the 9th most carries in a single season. By most accounts he had an exceptional season.

Truth is though, I just don't know how good Smith really is, or can be. He obviously exceeded expectations this season - I feel safe guessing that no one would have thought he'd be 5th in the record books for single season rushing yardage. A similarly productive season would allow Smith to bump Rhodes off of the career list and put him in 10th all-time rushing. I understand there's some discussion about how much eligibility he has remaining, so he may even have another season in him.

I just never look at this guy and think that we're seeing one of the school greats. He's a good player that had his stats beefed up by a very effective run blocking line and a fast tempo offense that gave him a lot of opportunities.

He's a very good first and second down back. But he's not going to break one to the house and he's not good in the close redzone, not enough of anyone thing, either speed, power, quick feet, or cutting to get it done there. Closest analogy would be David Walker.

5.2 per carry is plenty good enough for a college RB who is supposed to be the big/power back. And remember, after that inexplicable backward-pass play against NW, he did not lose a fumble for the rest of the season.
Yeah, obviously he does things well. He's a positive for sure.

But compare him to guys we've had. Where does he rank?

And remember that AAM took many of the short yardage TD runs that should've gone to Smith or PTG...

How good is he? Give him 44

Yeah, obviously he does things well. He's a positive for sure.

But compare him to guys we've had. Where does he rank?

It is a very good question.

In my mind, he was one of the most improved players on the team, particularly after the first few games. His best days are ahead of him.

I wont give you my opinion but will give you the opinion of a HS HC of a well respected HS who happened to be sitting in the row in front of me.

He loved him. Reads the holes very well and "gets it up in there very quickly". Runs hard and doesn't dance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He ran behind our best offensive line in I don't know how long. But a long time. Not one of our best RBs (Walter Reyes he is not), but he had a really nice year and seems to be a solid citizen to boot. I'm not sure we don't have more talented players coming in behind him. Actually, I'd be surprised if we don't.

I think he's better than most give credit for. He is reasonably fast but not a game breaker. What he does do very well is get through the holes quickly and runs through tackles better than anyone I can remember other than Carter.

He's a hard-nosed player. He is not remotely afraid of lowering his shoulder. We saw early in the season that he's not fast enough to turn get away with running wide and turning a corner, but he's runs north-south pretty nicely.

This is a guess but maybe he gained great yardage this year because we also had PTG (and AAM, to a lesser degree), each showing different running styles? Maybe having multiple RB's forced the defenses to constantly adjust? Not sure.
It just reminded me a little of 1987 when we had Johnston, Drummond and Owens - the wealth of yardage and TDs was spread out. This could be what we see in 2013.

I see a lot of similarities to Alfred Morris. I thought DeMarco Murray was a better running back last night, but Morris knows his system. And I think Smith knows our system in a similar way.

I see a lot of similarities to Alfred Morris. I thought DeMarco Murray was a better running back last night, but Morris knows his system. And I think Smith knows our system in a similar way.
So you thought Murray was better than the guy who rushed for 200 yards and three TDs and piled up 1600 yards on the season as a rookie?

So you thought Murray was better than the guy who rushed for 200 yards and three TDs and piled up 1600 yards on the season as a rookie?

In terms of who I think is a better all around back and who I would want if I was random team X starting a team from scratch, from what I watched Sunday night, I would still choose DeMarco Murray over Alfred Morris. He is faster, he catches the ball better, and he does a pretty good job picking up blitzes. I think he would fit in almost every system in the NFL. I can't say the same about Alfred Morris. I know he would fit in one system for sure, the one he is in, but I can't say that I see someone that would fit elsewhere. I'm a Giants fan by the way, and I certainly dislike the Cowboys more than the Redskins. I just see a better back in DeMarco Murray than I do in Alfred Morris, beyond the stats.

He has become one of my favorite players to watch. Don't know much about his character (which probably is a good thing), but if he's a solid citizen, I'd consider him for 44. Even if it's a stretch, lil shot in the arm from a marketing perspective couldn't hurt as we enter the ACC.

And remember that AAM took many of the short yardage TD runs that should've gone to Smith or PTG...

He is underappreciated and very solid...but nowhere near special enough to drape #44.

I wont give you my opinion but will give you the opinion of a HS HC of a well respected HS who happened to be sitting in the row in front of me.

He loved him. Reads the holes very well and "gets it up in there very quickly". Runs hard and doesn't dance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that's what stands out to me. Good runner and quick getting into the hole. Runs hard and has an ability to run through a lot of the hands and shoulders and helmets that clutter up holes.

That said, he's a guy who needs a pretty good line in front of him (as most RBs do) b/c he's not going to create much on his own. He's also not much of a threat in the open field.

Interesting player. Hard to imagine he or Gulley not getting a ton of touches next year, which is part of what makes the Broyld discussion so interesting.

He is underappreciated and very solid...but nowhere near special enough to drape #44.

Plus, it would be tough to give 44 to JS in that it may be perceived as a snub to PTG.

But I agree that neither are "special enough". Both quite good, but not "44" material.

I think he's better than most give credit for. He is reasonably fast but not a game breaker. What he does do very well is get through the holes quickly and runs through tackles better than anyone I can remember other than Carter.

I wouldn't say he's fast in any way, shape or form, but he's quick to the hole and through the hole, which is probably more important in a general sense anyway.

Agreed. If we didn't break it out for Walter Reyes or DC3, then as much as I like Jerome, he doesn't warrant un-retiring it either.

I think Jerome has a shot improve upon his numbers next year, and that he will certainly be an NFL draft pick and has a shot of going fairly high next year with another stud season. But he certainly doesn't warrant #44.

I think Jerome has a shot improve upon his numbers next year, and that he will certainly be an NFL draft pick and has a shot of going fairly high next year with another stud season. But he certainly doesn't warrant #44.
I agree he could play himself into a draft pick, but I don't see him going before the 4th or 5th round, unless he surprises at the combine. He doesn't have home run speed and isn't particularly shifty. If DC3 didn't go before the 4th round, I don't see how Jerome ever will.

Should have? Jerome had plenty of chances and that's the reason AAM played this year. There were practices and try outs for goal line running between AAM, Jerome, and PTG. It wasn't close. Jerome has very good knowledge of the system, reads holes well, and has decent speed once he gets beyond the first level of defense. What I see him lacking is pad level, foot work, and his inability in short yardage. The most glaring fault I see is he gets knocked over with a feather, rarely breaking a tackle, which may be related to footwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom