I have no idea what to think about this team | Syracusefan.com

I have no idea what to think about this team

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
They are 28-1!!!!!
yes...28-1!!!!

who would believed this before the year started..even with a weaker than usual Big East...

But I dont think any impartial observer can have watched this team in the past few weeks and not seen mediocrity. They have frankly been pulling wins out of their asses...shooting terribly from inside and outside the arc...being thumped on the boards most games...sleep walking during the beginning of games.

and yet they find a way to win. there are two schools of thought with this...there are those that feel this is a positive sign in that the team can win close games..while there are those who look at it as a bad sign..you cant keep winning like this..it just isnt feasible.

they gotta improve their game. the way they are playing, a decent second round team could knock them out.

hope not..but this is how things look to me

They are 28-1!!!!!
yes...28-1!!!!

who would believed this before the year started..even with a weaker than usual Big East...

But I dont think any impartial observer can have watched this team in the past few weeks and not seen mediocrity. They have frankly been pulling wins out of their asses...shooting terribly from inside and outside the arc...being thumped on the boards most games...sleep walking during the beginning of games.

and yet they find a way to win. there are two schools of thought with this...there are those that feel this is a positive sign in that the team can win close games..while there are those who look at it as a bad sign..you cant keep winning like this..it just isnt feasible.

they gotta improve their game. the way they are playing, a decent second round team could knock them out.

hope not..but this is how things look to me

Yeah im not concerned, Well be fine ill be concerned when i have to be. That time is not now.

Were good

Yeah im not concerned, Well be fine ill be concerned when i have to be. That time is not now.

Were good
relax, Steve. The Kool Aid Brigade is here.
koolaid-good.png

To be clear, I criticize them for their apparent blindness, but I hope they are right.

You'll get to know all those "impartial observers" very soon.

I want nothing more then for them to be right.

STEVE HOLT!

44cuse

This is a borderline top 25 team right now. Haven't looked good since the last 6 minutes of the uconn game.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Top 5 elite teams don't play this way on a consistent basis. One or two games in a three week period I can see. But we have been playing poorly almost every game...even though we have pulled out wins. Right now it's all Scoop, CJ, and Kris. We're getting nothing from anyone else. I hate to say it but I don't know that we could beat a real good team. Hope we wake up and I'm wrong.

You'll get to know all those "impartial observers" very soon.

I want nothing more then for them to be right.

STEVE HOLT!

44cuse

So your saying im not impartial, and am blinded by my syracuse loyalty, and should stop worshiping to my Jim Boeheim shrine in my room for a moment and see this team for how they are playing now

The way they've been playing recently I don't have a lot of confidence picking them to go very far in the tourney pick em things.

They can be good, but they look very average the past couple of weeks. Hope they snap out of it.

So your saying im not impartial, and am blinded by my syracuse loyalty, and should stop worshiping to my Jim Boeheim shrine in my room for a moment and see this team for how they are playing now

Well, there seem to be still people out there who essentially think Kentucky is the only team in the country that can play with us.

44cuse

The way they've been playing recently I don't have a lot of confidence picking them to go very far in the tourney pick em things.

They can be good, but they look very average the past couple of weeks. Hope they snap out of it.

Were going to be a number 1 seed playing in virtually a home environment. The tourney is set up for you to get atleast to the sweet 16 in your sleep.

Everybody calm down, were okay

Seniors are playing well, CJ is beasting. The rest of the crew it depends on the night

Were coasting right now, prob a little fatigued but we will take care of uconn and lville, and start rolling again when we get to msg for the be tourney

28-1 (14 -1) in BE, look at the record "were good"

Were good

I'm sure the players feel the exact same way...and that's trouble.

i think perspective is in order.. if triche doesnt miss those layups, if waiters wasnt so far off the mark.. we win by 20.. its a very thin line between dominating and letting a team stay in the game. playing uconn and the ville and then the bet is just what we need.. get the adrenaline flowing again..

Top 5 elite teams don't play this way on a consistent basis. One or two games in a three week period I can see. But we have been playing poorly almost every game...even though we have pulled out wins. Right now it's all Scoop, CJ, and Kris. We're getting nothing from anyone else. I hate to say it but I don't know that we could beat a real good team. Hope we wake up and I'm wrong.
Did you watch Kentucky pull out close wins against Miss St., Georgia, Vandy, and Tennessee?

Did you watch Kentucky pull out close wins against Miss St., Georgia, Vandy, and Tennessee?

You're wrong, bnoro--we're the only team that plays in close games and doesn't blow out every team we play, completely turnover free, with every possession resulting in orgasmic bliss. We're a borderline top 25 team right now.

Quit drinking the kool aid.

They've not been impressive but when they need it, they have it. I believe they've sleptwalked a bit in recent games and they came out looking tired tonight- maybe taking S. Fl too lightly. Still, I'm on the kool aid- when they are aggressive and when they want it- they do it, ala the 24-0 run. I do think Cuse it one of the top 2. Some might feel a loss would put some urgency in them (it may come against an absolutely desperate UConn) though I don't buy it. The one thing that does concern me is all the missed foul shots at the end of tight games. Triche's face was so taut I thought he'd explode. Dion's been horrid at the end at the line and Scoop, well 'nuff said.

They are 28-1!!!!!
yes...28-1!!!!
It was hard to type that part, wasn't it. At the end of the day, winning is all that matters. I don't recall any team in the history of college basketball, save the UCLA Wooden teams, that would fit the expectations of some of you. When was the last time any NC dominated throughout a season the way some of you expect this team to? In fact, the last 2 champs were questionable teams who in the end just found a way to win enough times to be crowned champs. Any objective fan has to like that same winners quality in this team too, because it is there in bunches, in all of the players.

I've seen the same things as you, mediocre play, yes, they haven't shot well, they continue to be out hustled, and a couple of those full court length passes for layups should never happen. That is a slap in the face to any player on the court at the time that they were beat down the court so badly. The team looks tired, that would effect the shooting, and JB seems to be experimenting with not only his chosen rotation, but some of the offense too. I know Kris has run iso alot this year, but he overplayed that in the 2nd half, and even had him at the top of the key to dump it down to a cutting Scoop? I hadn't seen that one before. So maybe installing some new plays getting ready for March is also making them look bad.

Flawed team, sure. Tired and back on their heels some lately, ok. But still headed to the promised land of #1 in the East and then we'll get to see what their legacy really will be.

relax, Steve. The Kool Aid Brigade is here.
koolaid-good.png

To be clear, I criticize them for their apparent blindness, but I hope they are right.

Does that make you a part of the "Piss in everyones Cheerios" brigade?

The team being bored w the regular season is the crucial factor in these games being close. Theyre wanting to play a "must win" type game

You're wrong, bnoro--we're the only team that plays in close games and doesn't blow out every team we play, completely turnover free, with every possession resulting in orgasmic bliss. We're a borderline top 25 team right now.

For me personally I'm not trying to compare this team to Kentucky, or the 1987 LA Lakers. I'm trying to take what they're doing on the court and say "yes that's a championship team." The way they've been playing lately I don't see it. SU teams do have a tendency of going into a late January-February malaise, and usually come out of it in March. Hopefully that's what's going on right now. Just the grind of the Big East and the season.

so that 26-0 run tonight they didn't look good?

That did. And I'm pretty much always positive and am pretty confident that whatever problems we have can and will be fixed, but they can't keep on coming out flat and can't have lapses.

I love that they don't panic. I love that they make plays when they have to make plays. But at some point, they wont be able to. And against a less talented team, they have to put themselves in a position where they don't need to make plays. And I do find it hilarious that people keep saying "this is the way to beat Syracuse," when Syracuse hasn't lost at full strength.

I don't know what to make tbh. They have been frustrating to watch of late, but they win games.

I feel like I'm underwhelmed by a lot of the teams I watch this year though. UNC seems to have all the tools, but they can't guard anyone and seem to play plenty of tight games. Duke has the same issues, can't guard, and still relies on the three too much. The entire Big 10 plays games that look about as pretty as our worst - yet they get credited as being tough, while we get credited with being sloppy or playing ugly. I don't know, the Big 10 sucks.

UK appears to be the most dynamic team, but I still have no idea how they would do against our zone. My biggest concern is that we rebound for and that will probably come back to haunt us - or, of course, Scoop could have a bad game on the wrong night and we're toast because the other guards are underwhelming on a pretty regular basis.

Who knows...i'm befuddled. :)

I'm hoping we are team that is just bored with the regular season.

I don't know what to make tbh. They have been frustrating to watch of late, but they win games.

I feel like I'm underwhelmed by a lot of the teams I watch this year though. UNC seems to have all the tools, but they can't guard anyone and seem to play plenty of tight games. Duke has the same issues, can't guard, and still relies on the three too much. The entire Big 10 plays games that look about as pretty as our worst - they get credited as being tough too, while we get credited with being sloppy or playing ugly. I don't know, the Big 10 sucks.

UK appears to be the most dynamic team, but I still have no idea how they would do against our zone. My biggest concern is that we rebound for **** and that will probably come back to haunt us - or, of course, Scoop could have a bad game on the wrong night and we're toast because the other guards are underwhelming on a pretty regular basis.

Who knows...i'm befuddled. :)

Yeah, good post. I don't know what to think either. I don't know What they have been doing on offense the past month or so. Garbage. The rebounding is maddening. Leo Rautins was interviewed recently on 1260 and he said you can rebound well in a zone. He said it's just a matter of getting a body on someone and boxing out. Too many What plays from Joseph which neutralize his good plays. His defense and rebounding is so freaking bad. Maybe the worst I can remember from an SU starting 3. CJ and Scoop again made some big plays tonight. It looks like they may have to carry us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom