I have something to say | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I have something to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking the same thing — that felt like an absolute lock. The funny thing is it actually was pretty close to a cover. From the last couple minutes of the first half to the final buzzer I think we actually out scored Pitt by 18. And that was with a lot of missed open looks (as opposed to missed bad looks) in the 2nd. That says a lot about Pitt.

I was actually a bit upset that the Cuse scored so much during garbage time, because I was hoping to get a more favorable line for the next game if the score had maintained the true nature of the game.

the game thread was absolutely pathetic. The amount of complaining, b******g and moaning was pathetic. Every single page there is at least 5 comments bashing the team or just bashing JB or making asinine comments or just whining in general. I enjoy following along and posting and discussing the actual game and it's a nice outlet for me but i was embarrassed reading that crap. If you want to just bash the team n be negative go somewhere else. Don't ruin what is an incredible community and one I look forward to going to just because the team is struggling. I didn't notice any constructive criticism just moaning and ripping the guys on the team who are giving everything they have and it's PATHETIC.

Alabama football fans wanted a new coach in the middle of the national title game.

People can get a little nuts during games.

Alabama football fans wanted a new coach in the middle of the national title game.

People can get a little nuts during games.

Very true, and there are some that even get a bit of the "entitled" thing going and dont like when we dont beat the cupcake teams by 20 or 30 anymore. I doubt some of them can comprehend what it must like being a diehard fan of one of those cupcake teams that we used to manhandle. Some fans' heads may explode trying to imagine how that must feel. I think we can all agree that we've come to expect a lot during Boeheim's career, and that some of us at times lose sight of things and take them for granted, myself included.

To be fair to this board, I'm a member of an NFL team's board, and had very similar complaints about their chatbox during the game. It made this game thread look far better...and not bother me as much as it did the OP. Still, it also helps me empathize with the OP, even if I dont find it as bad here. OP, on another positive note, in my experience it isnt consisently like this...then again I havent been on for awhile.

Last edited:
It was an ugly game and the thread reflected that. People were commiserating.
As much as the OP finds it bewildering to see that people who love something can speak ill of it at times, I'm bewildered when someone has a meltdown about it. To think that someone needs everyone to pat each other on the head and whisper Jack Handey affirmations to each other seems... odd.

Two things happened tonight. People watched a game and got upset or thrilled by certain plays and they reacted in the emotional moment to those plays—both positive and negative. And people sometimes expressed themselves in hyperbole, either to entertain or to lighten the mood. Shouldn't you expect hyperbole in an online forum? Why can't people discern and process that?

And all of those people will be back to watch the next game and the one after that. Because they care. It's absolutely silly to think you can or should 'legislate' how people feel about something important to them. Who's going to decide what is an objective or reaonable response?

Maybe the OP could have participated in a way that stimulated a more positive discussion and slightly affected the balance.

Essentially, taking any of this so seriously that negative comments are more impactful than a negative performance seems sorta outta whack.

It was an ugly game and the thread reflected that. People were commiserating.
As much as the OP finds it bewildering to see that people who love something can speak ill of it at times, I'm bewildered when someone has a meltdown about it. To think that someone needs everyone to pat each other on the head and whisper Jack Handey affirmations to each other seems... odd.

Two things happened tonight. People watched a game and got upset or thrilled by certain plays and they reacted in the emotional moment to those plays—both positive and negative. And people sometimes expressed themselves in hyperbole, either to entertain or to lighten the mood. Shouldn't you expect hyperbole in an online forum? Why can't people discern and process that?

And all of those people will be back to watch the next game and the one after that. Because they care. It's absolutely silly to think you can or should 'legislate' how people feel about something important to them. Who's going to decide what is an objective or reaonable response?

Maybe the OP could have participated in a way that stimulated a more positive discussion and slightly affected the balance.

Essentially, taking any of this so seriously that negative comments are more impactful than a negative performance seems sorta outta whack.

Exactly so. And much of the commentary was directed toward the overall level of basketball, which was putrid.

SU and Pitt have played ugly games before. Just seldom, or never, at such an objectively low level.

This wasn't a kumbaya type of game. It was horrid basketball and deserved to be called as such.

Far better for SU to win this rock fight than lose it.

I think the OP deserves a lot of credit for his support of SU basketball, and I hope it will continue.

“It’s better to burn out than fade away!”
— Kurgen (Highlander)

My apologies to the OP; your thread title made me think of this:

If you don’t like it don’t read it.
I am a realist not an idealist.
If people can’t express themselves in a non obscene manner then don’t have a board.
This idea that people can’t express negativity when the product is abysmal is so self righteous.
Players weren’t attacked. On court actions were criticized and nothing crazy was said if it did I Would call it out if I saw it. I am sure moderators would delete it before others did.

The team won which was great but the product was brutal. I am fan and happy they won but if people believe product deserves scrutiny and people express it in a non obscene way go ahead.
So people may have been critical.
It is shocking to think people want entertainment to actually be entertaining.
Games like last night cause apathy.

Last edited:
This is how I look at it; if I don't rip the team now, they're never going to get better. I'm a fan so, clearly, my opinion impacts how the team plays. When we're down 15 points late in a game, my insults from the couch are meant to serve as motivation so that when the players hear them, they'll play better. Duh

You're all welcome for the Virginia NCAAT comeback, btw.

The games threads are basically useless unless you're looking for emotional H0T Takes or complaints that the announcers are biased and that we've never committed a foul in our entire history. If you're looking for true analysis, there are some key posters to look for after the game when things calm down.

This is how I look at it; if I don't rip the team now, they're never going to get better. I'm a fan so, clearly, my opinion impacts how the team plays. When we're down 15 points late in a game, my insults from the couch are meant to serve as motivation so that when the players hear them, they'll play better. Duh

You're all welcome for the Virginia NCAAT comeback, btw.
But the players' feelings get hurt when they read the thread during the game. You inconsiderate bastards!

the game thread was absolutely pathetic. The amount of complaining, b******g and moaning was pathetic. Every single page there is at least 5 comments bashing the team or just bashing JB or making asinine comments or just whining in general. I enjoy following along and posting and discussing the actual game and it's a nice outlet for me but i was embarrassed reading that crap. If you want to just bash the team n be negative go somewhere else. Don't ruin what is an incredible community and one I look forward to going to just because the team is struggling. I didn't notice any constructive criticism just moaning and ripping the guys on the team who are giving everything they have and it's PATHETIC.
You're so noble!

Advice for future reference: when you see "game thread" in the title, don't click it. It will offend you.

You shouldn’t read game threads. It’s basically a place to vent.

Personally, I went out of my way not to bash the team (I think). I agree with everything JB said at the FSU post game presser. It’s a development year. Enjoy whatever wins you see, no matter how it happens.

Having said that, I couldn’t resist trying to find creative ways to describe how bad that game was to watch. I wasn’t alone. Mike Waters was doing the same.

Pitt looked like a high school team that had no coach but one kid that can shoot.

Last edited:
Man, that has to suck living somewhere so geographically removed from Syracuse fans... is what I would say if you were orangeinuzbekistan as opposed to orangeinnyc.

;)

Word. He might want to get out occasionally. NYC is chock full of Cuse fans.

Sorry but I am not sure what you expect when the team is playing this poorly for such an extended period of time. SU bball has become a victim of its own success under JB as it has been the saving grace for a majority of fans the last 15+ years after getting there teethed kicked in during fball season (I follow lax not sure why more dont but thats another discussion). The bball team is the one sport outside of Lax where SU fans can usually count on a Top 25 team that can beat/play with the best teams in the country, teams have come to expect a certain level of play with JB coached teams which is a compliment to how good a coach he has been for pretty much his entire career year.

This current team is something most fans have never seen, as someone who has been watching SU games going back to the late 80's early 90's (from when I was a little kid) I have never seen a team struggle this much to score and I remember the 97 Todd Burgan team, the James Theus era, the 06/07 nightmare, and the dynasty team. A normal JB team last night wins that game by 25+ and the game is over by halftime. You can't expect a game thread to be rainbows and overly positive talk when your up 2 pts with under 10 min to play against the worst P5 team most of us have seen in our life teams. This team tries hard but how many games in a row can you watch Chukwu fumble the ball out of bounds and miss a layup, Dolezaj loose the ball/rebound due to lack of strength and then air ball a 4 foot shot, Moyer run around like like a praying mantis on coke and then make a great play only to turn it over in a horrific manner the next possession, Howard Washington make a 3 and look competent and then turn it over and dissapear for the remainder of the game, Brisette make a spinning twisting weaving drive to the basket that leaves u breathless only to watch him miss the layup by 3 feet.

Most fans don't know what to make of this team and its showing. There were more people in the concourse of the dome at halftime of the SU/Clemson fball game this fall then there at the game yesterday. At this point what kind of constructive criticisim can you give? Get next years players here now? Wonder how Sidibe can have the knees of a 64 year old career warehouse worker? Have Taureen's mom committed for screwing us? Send Dog the Bounty hunter to track down Thorpe? People are frustrated this 2 year stretch has been pretty brutal for the big time mens sports, this the one place they can actually vent.

Last edited:
Sorry but I am not sure what you expect when the team is playing this poorly for such an extended period of time. SU bball has become a victim of its own success under JB as it has been the saving grace for a majority of fans the last 15+ years after getting there teethed kicked in during fball season (I follow lax not sure why more dont but thats another discussion). The bball team is the one sport outside of Lax where SU fans can usually count on a Top 25 team that can beat/play with the best teams in the country, teams have come to expect a certain level of play with JB coached teams which is a compliment to how good a coach he has been for pretty much his entire career year.

This current team is something most fans have never seen, as someone who has been watching SU games going back to the late 80's early 90's (from when I was a little kid) I have never seen a team struggle this much to score and I remember the 97 Todd Burgan team, the James Theus era, the 06/07 nightmare, and the dynasty team. A normal JB team last night wins that game by 25+ and the game is over by halftime. You can't expect a game thread to be rainbows and overly positive talk when your up 2 pts with under 10 min to play against the worst P5 team most of us have seen in our life teams. This team tries hard but how many games in a row can you watch Chukwu fumble the ball out of bounds and miss a layup, Dolezaj loose the ball/rebound due to lack of strength and then air ball a 4 foot shot, Moyer run around like like a praying mantis on coke and then make a great play only to turn it over in a horrific manner the next possession, Howard Washington make a 3 and look competent and then turn it over and dissapear for the remainder of the game, Brisette make a spinning twisting weaving drive to the basket that leaves u breathless only to watch him miss the layup by 3 feet.

Most fans don't know what to make of this team and its showing. There were more people in the concourse of the dome at halftime of the SU/Clemson fball game this fall then there at the game yesterday. At this point what kind of constructive criticisim can you give? Get next years players here now? Wonder how Sidibe can have the knees of a 64 year old career warehouse worker? Have Taureen's mom committed for screwing us? Send Dog the Bounty hunter to track down Thorpe? People are frustrated this 2 year stretch has been pretty brutal for the big time mens sports, this the one place they can actually vent.

Praying mantis on coke. Was looking for a way to describe him. Think you nailed it.

You're so noble!

Advice for future reference: when you see "game thread" in the title, don't click it. It will offend you.

Or how about you act like a grown mature person and have a discussion instead of acting like a petuclant child. Ive been coming on here for years and the game thread was never as bad as yesterday, sorry some people don't want to read that kind of crap.

I have something to say as well. I may or not have had a few brews at this point but we are on a 1 game win streak right now. I could and will drink to that :)
It is our best win of the year so far...

Praying mantis on coke. Was looking for a way to describe him. Think you nailed it.

Love the kids hustle and the fact that when he gets the ball in deep he finishes with a dunk 99% of the time and actually makes it but man there are some moments where you go "what the hell is he doing out there". As Jake noted he would probably see little to no minutes on a regular team as he is a developmental guy so I try to keep that in the back of my mind. I think hes going to be a hell of a player here by his Rs Jr year and it was nice to see him hit a jumper yesterday and not immediately get pulled when a missed another later in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom