I have to ask - Halftime Matt Barrie ESPN | Syracusefan.com

I have to ask - Halftime Matt Barrie ESPN

Digger

2nd String
Was this brought up? Watching the game, at halftime Barrie and Joey Galloway were discussing Syracuse's ACC outlook going forward. I was happy just to hear us being discussed on ESPN (after the past few seasons) but then Barrie (talking about how our 'real' season starts vs NC ST) says "... Like you said, Syracuse is going to get through Wagner annnd it looks like they're going to get through this one (tonight)"

HOW IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU A SPORTS BROADCASTER WHO SAYS AT HALFTIME OF A TWO SCORE GAME THAT "Looks like they're going to get through this one"

I could not believe it. Not exaggerating one of the dumbest sports comments I've ever heard in my life.

Understood if your responses is
"... 'you are maybe focusing on the wrong the issue tonight'??..."

but it just blew my mind

Last edited:
Was this brought up? Watching the game, at halftime Barrie and Joey Galloway were discussing Syracuse's ACC outlook going forward. I was happy just to hear us being discussed on ESPN (after the past few seasons) but then Barrie (talking about how our 'real' season starts vs NC ST) says "... Like you said, Syracuse is going to get through Wagner annnd it looks like they're going to get through this one (tonight)"

HOW IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU A SPORTS BROADCASTER WHO SAYS AT HALFTIME OF A TWO SCORE GAME THAT "Looks like they're going to get through this one"

I could not believe it. Not exaggerating one of the dumbest sports comments I've ever heard in my life.

but it just blew my mind
I think it's because when he said it, they were up 16-0 and it looked like they were going to get through it.
I truly don't understand. Why was that so egregious? Where is the cut off point wise? Can he say it if it's 20-0? 30-0? They had like 50;yards at the half, and we had like 200+ with a 16-0 lead. Furthermore, Barrie is not a broadcaster. He's an analyst, and projecting is part of being an analyst.

I think it's because when he said it, they were up 16-0 and it looked like they were going to get through it.
I truly don't understand. Why was that so egregious? Where is the cut off point wise? Can he say it if it's 20-0? 30-0? They had like 50;yards at the half, and we had like 200+ with a 16-0 lead. Furthermore, Barrie is not a broadcaster. He's an analyst, and projecting is part of being an analyst.
I agree. The only thing that is upsetting is that he jinxed us with that comment

Anyone whose watched football should know that a 2 score game at halftime is far from over. Took about 5 minutes and it was 16-13, lol. It was a dumb comment.

ESPN's analytics had SU with a 96% win probability at the start of the third quarter. Seems like "looks like they're going to get through this one" is a measured comment under the circumstances. It's far from dumb or egregious.
And the Browns were 99.9999999% likely to beat the Jets or whatever.

Those numbers mean nothing.

We’ve all watched games where our team kept settling for FGs and then eventually the other team got untracked and made a few plays and rather than being up 30-7, you’re up 16-7 and it’s a game.

Personally at halftime I would’ve been surprised if the game didn’t end up being a dogfight.

Agree. I was taken aback. Then again, after watching the last 15 minutes of the pregame show, I couldn’t believe how far ESPN has fallen. I never watch except games for a reason. Some serious lack of talent there now.

People (especially Syracuse fans) who don't see the issue with saying a two score game at HALFTIME "looks like it's over" might surprise me more than Barrie saying it. You had time to think about what you posted, he was at least speaking in the moment. They cut it to a 3 point game FIVE minutes into the 3rd quarter.

And btw, no he's not an analyst and never has been--but he is a sports anchor. People posting on a message board have an excuse to not get that saying "looks like they'll get through this game" at HALFTIME of a two score college football game is a dumb comment ...he doesn't.

Anyone whose watched football should know that a 2 score game at halftime is far from over. Took about 5 minutes and it was 16-13, lol. It was a dumb comment.
He literally said, "it looks like". He never said anything that was definitive. And speaking objectively, it did look that way.

but it just blew my mind
I thought the same thing at the time LOL, way to keep the casual bystander tuned in.

He literally said, "it looks like". He never said anything that was definitive. And speaking objectively, it did look that way.
Yeah, I still disagree.

It looked to me like we’d missed our chance for the early knockout and with Virginia starting with the ball and seemingly overdue for something to go their way offensively(we focus on us but they missed multiple FG’s, missed some wide open WRs, and had a couple big drops), seemed likely they’d at least make a game of it and keep it interesting for awhile at the very least.

People (especially Syracuse fans) who don't see the issue with saying a two score game at HALFTIME "looks like it's over" might surprise me more than Barrie saying it. You had time to think about what you posted, he was at least speaking in the moment. They cut it to a 3 point game FIVE minutes into the 3rd quarter.

And btw, no he's not an analyst and never has been--but he is a sports anchor. People posting on a message board have an excuse to not get that saying "looks like they'll get through this game" at HALFTIME of a two score college football game is a dumb comment ...he doesn't.
I just don't get your point. What he said may have been short sighted, but why do you care? It had no effect on the game. Again...analysts project. Analysts aren't always correct, but he projected that it was looking like a win.
It's the same line of thinking as the fan who gets mad at me for looking ahead to Clemson, or Notre Dame and projecting what I think we'll do against those teams. I can look ahead, you can look ahead, and Barrie can look ahead. It's ok. We don't play football for SU. Projecting doesn't have any impact.
By the way...Wagner is looking like a win.;)

I just don't get your point. What he said may have been short sighted, but why do you care? It had no effect on the game. Again...analysts project. Analysts aren't always correct, but he projected that it was looking like a win.
It's the same line of thinking as the fan who gets mad at me for looking ahead to Clemson, or Notre Dame and projecting what I think we'll do against those teams. I can look ahead, you can look ahead, and Barrie can look ahead. It's ok. We don't play football for SU. Projecting doesn't have any impact.
By the way...Wagner is looking like a win.;)
Haha. “Care” is an interesting word, it's (obviously) not a big deal, but a part of watching sports is the broadcasting. When a professional broadcaster says it looks like the game is over at halftime of a 16-0 college football game, it really blows my mind. Literally 5 minutes later it was a 3 point game.

I was wondering if others saw it/agreed with me and you clearly… do not.
thanks for answering :)