I hope no kids watch NPA summer league | Syracusefan.com

I hope no kids watch NPA summer league

because the Never Pass Association is not real basketball.
You would have someone in the Cape Cod league laying down bunts and working the count for walks, rather than getting hits.
No one in the Summer League gets a contract because his team came in first place.
The NBA coaches will make sure the guys play their system, but first they have to find players who can score and defend. That is the purpose of summer league.
If you don't like the way they play, simply don't watch. You'll feel better, and have less to complain about. If you simply need something to bitch about, there are a lot more troubling things than lack of team concept and cohesiveness in the NBA summer league in which to invest your time and energy.
By the way, the "NPA" is neither cool nor creative.

So I've been to several Utah Jazz summer league games (they do a little 4 team tournament) and you're really underrating the basketball that's played there.

Yeah, it's not the cleanest game. These teams are thrown together with little time to prepare, and they're not constructed to have a balanced roster or build a "winning" team. They're built as an extended scouting exercise to evaluate incoming NBA talent and ease draft picks into consistently playing against professional caliber players.

These guys play hard. HARD. The effort level is off the charts because they're not just playing for minutes, their livelihood and dreams are on the line.

As it relates to passing, it's not the easiest to pass within teams that are slightly more organized than pickup games. That's where the really excellent point guards shine. Josh Giddey for example had double figure assists in each of the 2 games I watched him in last week. But he's also super smooth and an incredibly gifted floor general that's in total control at a very young age.

Enjoy the NBA summer league for what it is - the farthest most of these guys will ever make it on an NBA stage. And they're doing their best to be part of the few that get to wear an NBA uniform.

It's not as team first as the style of play in AAU they grew up in? I think guys play hard as if their livelihood depends on it. It's not pretty or team oriented for sure.

So I've been to several Utah Jazz summer league games (they do a little 4 team tournament) and you're really underrating the basketball that's played there.

Yeah, it's not the cleanest game. These teams are thrown together with little time to prepare, and they're not constructed to have a balanced roster or build a "winning" team. They're built as an extended scouting exercise to evaluate incoming NBA talent and ease draft picks into consistently playing against professional caliber players.

These guys play hard. HARD. The effort level is off the charts because they're not just playing for minutes, their livelihood and dreams are on the line.

As it relates to passing, it's not the easiest to pass within teams that are slightly more organized than pickup games. That's where the really excellent point guards shine. Josh Giddey for example had double figure assists in each of the 2 games I watched him in last week. But he's also super smooth and an incredibly gifted floor general that's in total control at a very young age.

Enjoy the NBA summer league for what it is - the farthest most of these guys will ever make it on an NBA stage. And they're doing their best to be part of the few that get to wear an NBA uniform.
200.gif

It’s exhibition and a tryout. If an SU player isn’t involved, I could care less about the whole thing. If a high draft pick like Holmgren or Banchero is playing, I’ll check it out to see how they do. But I’m not expecting to see great fundamentals on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom