I just find this quote from Coach emblematic of an endemic failure | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I just find this quote from Coach emblematic of an endemic failure

The 2004 Detroit team talks about this with Ben Wallace. They knew Ben couldn't shoot worth a lick (or do anything on O). But to start the game, in one of the early possessions, they would at least throw him the ball once or twice. It would energize him on the defensive end and he'd be a beast all game.

But it started with at least giving him a look.
Yep, big men are weird like that. You want them fired up to play defense, you have to make them feel like they'll see the ball once in a while on offense.

I hate those quotes. It sure sounds like JB is deflecting and putting all the blame on the players.

We can't throw it inside? We can't post up Moyer or Sid?

JB's approach is antiquated and obviously not working on the offensive end. You cannot constantly run the same thing over and over without guys capable of succeeding. We run high pick and rolls with Chukwu? Why? He can't do anything and isn't even a good screener, on top of that. We stand around and play catch on the perimeter for 20 seconds with no action and no real attempt to get a good look. Other teams have issues with offensive personnel, but they try something other than iso. Oshae isn't a good iso player, cannot finish inside and is a bad shooter. Frank has been somewhat of a revelation, but still isn't great at driving and scoring consistently, without committing far too many mistakes. Tyus has had issues with efficiency and I'm guessing he's banged up and tired. Mistakes can mount when you're tired.

All this boils down to how bad our recruiting and overall plan has been, but that's a completely other thing to talk about at this point. To have any chance to win 8-9 ACC games, something has to change with what JB is doing with the offense. It's simply not good enough to have Tyus, Frank and Oshae try to do everything on their own under 10 on the shot clock. This isn't what college basketball is in 2018.

We used to do this many moons ago... and JB never counted past 7 back then either. Right now we’re that Cadillac in the left lane going 20 in a 55 with the blinker still on.

Indeed. I don't recall precisely when JB decided to shift his philosophy to 100% zone, nothing but the zone, 'god help us all' style, but I believe it's a systemic dilemma and directly related to our offensive anemia & struggles.

Indeed. I don't recall precisely when JB decided to shift his philosophy to 100% zone, nothing but the zone, 'god help us all' style, but I believe it's a systemic dilemma and directly related to our offensive anemia & struggles.
JB made that decision pre lemoyne 2009 and used that game to sell the public on going all zone. It wasn’t an accident that we lost that game.

But the larger issue right now is we’ve given up all hope of generating points in transition. Offensive suicide for this team. We have NEVER been a good halfcourt team with a couple exceptions. It is just put under the microscope because we have abandoned our traditional transition offense.

Admittedly, I have not watched UVa this but I seem to remember them working the ball to get open shots from 10 feet and out and at least 4 of their guys can make that shot a good percentage of the time. And they have 6 guys on the roster that can to rotate in to find the "hot" hands. So if the best 3 SU players shoot a poor percentage at those range not to mention the other 2 on offense what good does a quick passing game do if its Moyer/D or Chu who end up with the open 15 footer?

Admittedly, I have not watched UVa this but I seem to remember them working the ball to get open shots from 10 feet and out and at least 4 of their guys can make that shot a good percentage of the time. And they have 6 guys on the roster that can to rotate in to find the "hot" hands. So if the best 3 SU players shoot a poor percentage at those range not to mention the other 2 on offense what good does a quick passing game do if its Moyer/D or Chu who end up with the open 15 footer?
We have tough odds offensively because we have young players with limitations. Frank and Tyus are good players. Brissett’s going to be a monster. But right now, he does not have a consistent jump shot and defenses are playing him to drive. With Moyer/MD and Chukwu the other options, we’re hopping around in burlap sacks. You know what I like — I like Dolezaj and Chukwu taking foul line jumpers. That’s the future — those guys scoring. No, they’re not making them. But they’re taking those shots and I think it’s a positive sign. I like Moyer to shoot also, not from 3 but mid-range if he’s open. We’re not going t0 light the world on fire this year offensively so it’s great to see these guys taking good shots even if they don’t go down right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom