I Just Hung Out With Baye Moussa Keita | Syracusefan.com

I Just Hung Out With Baye Moussa Keita

iommi

Living Legend
My friend was coaching a hoops clinic for high school girls in my town. Baye and his wife live with one of the other coaches right now and so Baye came tonight to help out. My friend called me when Baye showed up and I scrambled to get to the gym right away.

Needless to say, Baye might be one of the nicest former players I've ever met. He was very cool and surprisingly outspoken about a lot of Syracuse stuff. He's still very much in tune with what's going on with the program and is very close with a lot of our former players. I'll get to some of that stuff in a minute.

I spoke with Baye for a long part of the hour or so I was there. He was so engaging but when he wasn't talking to me, my friend would call upon Baye to show the girls something. It was cool to watch. Baye might be able to coach some day. He struggled shooting with the smaller women's ball (he told me he was shooting yesterday with an NBA ball) but he did all the drills well and instructed them very well. He even dunked once. It was funny- my friend even had him running suicides (don't think they call them that anymore to be p.c.) with the girls.

Anyway, he did say that although he was surprised by Hop leaving, in retrospect he did notice that Hop wasn't himself this year. He said his body language wasn't the Hop he knew (he said he was closest to Hop than any of the coaches). He said his feeling and the feeling of other former players is that JB wasn't going to retire any time soon so he was glad that Hop got a head coaching job. Baye did say he often wondered if Hop did get the SU job, would he have retained Gerry and Autry or would he have cleared house.

This is funny: he said that when Hop left, Baye called JB and offered to help out instructing the big men (I don't think he meant he wanted a full-time coaching gig). He laughed and said JB never called him back but that he heard through the grapevine that JB thought Baye was too young. He said Hop became a great big men coach due to his time with USA Basketball. Hop learned a bunch of drills and worked with some of the best bigs on the planet. (He also said Autry did great work with the forwards but mentioned it is so odd they have nothing but guards for coaches.).

I told Baye he was such a great zone defender and he said he was amazed at how bad the defenders were this year. He put his hands against his sides and said that most of the guys stood there like soldiers. I joked that he could definitely help with Taurean. He laughed. He did say he couldn't believe how bad some of those guys are at zone. "Is it so hard to spread out and get your hands to your side" (as a big man inside)? He's good friends with Nick Resavy (who now works for the Nets) and Baye does hear that some guys are concerned that the all-zone defense hurts some SU players' stock. He said that he thought James Southerland, for example, wanted to play man and would've been a great as a man defender. I said, "tell that zone hurts our players to all the first round draft picks we have been churning out." Again, he laughed (he laughed at pretty much everything).

We talked about how bad the refereeing is in college and we talked about the brutal Elite 8 loss to Ohio State and how we got screwed by the refs. He said the players were livid after that game. Baye said he would breathe on Sullinger and they'd call a foul on him, He mentioned how bad Michael Stephens is and how he couldn't believe they let him ref the title game last night.

He also talked about the players-only meeting they had after the blowout loss to G-town in 2013 helped lead to the Final Four run. He said Brandon Triche was really outspoken in the meeting. He reminisced about the Indiana Sweet 16 game and laughed at how clueless they were against the zone.

He also talked about Nick Resavy bringing him in to do some casual scrimmaging work with the Nets and how he held his own.

Baye met Bourama Sidibe briefly (they only had time to exchange pleasantries). He said he used it as a chance to screw with JB. Baye and Bourama were talking to each other in French (I think Sidibe told me he speaks 5 languages). JB walked by and Baye joked with JB that they were talking trash about JB in French. Ha.

Baye needs shoulder surgery soon. He's not working (it took him a long time to get his green card). Super nice guy. He said he hopes to see me again. There was a lot more but those are the bullet points. We both went on and on. LOL.

Last edited:
Saw him on Euclid outside a house one night that was having a party. He wasn't let in but my roommate, who is 6'5", and hammered with a classic "I don't give a __" attitude (had highs and lows) rolled up to the house with him and we all got in. Hosts obviously didn't follow bball too much.

Also saw him walking comstock on mayfest and yelled to him how much I loved his 1 handed dunks. Yes I was drunk.

Those are my stories. We'll call it a tie, iommi.

Great stuff, Baye has always been one of my favs

My wife stayed home with our daughter. She would've loved to have met him, as Baye is one of her favorites too.

Oh, I should've added that a lot of folks associated with the program (i.e.: former players) are happy for Devo since he brings a lot of energy to the staff.

Felt the same way about Hop's body language and apparently his lack of hitting the recruiting trail. JB couldn't be bothered to get back to him? Really. Devo and GMac were apparently old enough for paying gigs.

Felt the same way about Hop's body language and apparently his lack of hitting the recruiting trail. JB couldn't be bothered to get back to him? Really. Devo and GMac were apparently old enough for paying gigs.

I think I recall JB saying he wanted every player to go on, earn some money, live his life for at least 3 to 5 before thinking of coming back to SU or coaching. He said he wanted them to have some perspective, have a better idea of what they really want to do etc. GMac came here as a GA after 3 years, Hop came back as an assistant after 3 years, Allen Griffin came back as an administrative assistant after 2 years then left to be an assistant at St Francis. He has assisted many ex-players get coaching jobs etc whether at SU, other college or high school programs, community youth programs etc after their overseas careers.

I think I recall JB saying he wanted every player to go on, earn some money, live his life for at least 3 to 5 before thinking of coming back to SU or coaching. He said he wanted them to have some perspective, have a better idea of what they really want to do etc. GMac came here as a GA after 3 years, Hop came back as an assistant after 3 years, Allen Griffin came back as an administrative assistant after 2 years. He has assisted many ex-players get coaching jobs etc whether at SU, other college or high school programs, community youth programs etc after their overseas careers.

Yeah, Baye was laughing that JB didn't call him back. He wasn't bitter at all. He found it funny. Most of my discussion with Baye centered around JB-being-JB stuff. I got the impression that the players all pretty much know that JB is stuck in his ways. Baye was saying that about players having to know JB is very inflexible about only playing zone, for example. Baye himself talked about how he loved playing man in high school. "It's what we played our whole lives." You could tell Baye took pride in our zone being good but that he wished he played man too.

He also talked about being at Oak Hill and having all these big name coaches showing up like every day. He said he knew on those days the practice would be super easy.

(Yes, we talked a lot in a short amount of time. I was there for about an hour, tops, and Baye was also doing some instructing and taking part in drills too.)

I think I recall JB saying he wanted every player to go on, earn some money, live his life for at least 3 to 5 before thinking of coming back to SU or coaching. He said he wanted them to have some perspective, have a better idea of what they really want to do etc. GMac came here as a GA after 3 years, Hop came back as an assistant after 3 years, Allen Griffin came back as an administrative assistant after 2 years then left to be an assistant at St Francis. He has assisted many ex-players get coaching jobs etc whether at SU, other college or high school programs, community youth programs etc after their overseas careers.
lol jb didn't do any of that.

Yes, when I ask my NBA scout friend about Cuse players, his first words always are that because we play only Zone that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to judge how well their D will translate to the next level.

It seems like so many of our players get drafted high and then are mediocre at the next level. Unless, somebody is truly gifted offensively like a Melo, then the ability to play some d is what will keep them on the court.

Interesting to hear a former player say the Zone may affect the draft stock of some guys. That in turn probably affects recruiting.

I always admired BMK as a player with a non-stop motor who made the most of his skillset.

Edit - PS - Great post iommi !!!

Last edited:
iommi, did he tell you that he is looking for a job in NJ? He has been in contact with some people I know there. He and Alma will be getting involved with the NNJ alumni club also. And yes he is incredibly nice, and so is his wife. He is looking for something in sports or entertainment marketing. Do you know of anything in the area? If you or anyone else on here does, get me the info, and I can get it to him...

Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Baye will always be an all time favorite for me, and many.

Baye is a good dude. Did very well in his role as secondary center and defender. If he only had better hands on offense... Either way, what a great guy and player. We could have used him this year!

There was some internal stuff, nothing huge but hop missed some meetings before games and missed a few scouting meetings.
Maybe partly explains why the zone was so bad. If Hop was losing his passion to be JB's lap dog, then maybe it rubbed off on the players.

In Maui I noticed he was online early, using the communal wifi, presumably working on papers and the like. He was the only SU player doing that at like 5:30 or 6 am

I didn't pry into what he was actually doing though. I'm just assuming he was being studious

I met Baye once or twice, a friend of a friend was dating him at the time. As everyone else has said, he was just such a nice guy; easily the nicest player that I met during my time on campus.

loved the moose man. talented , totally unselfish and one of the better middle zone defenders around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom