I keep hearing about Michigan's speed and how that is the difference | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I keep hearing about Michigan's speed and how that is the difference

True, I think the quickness of Burke will present a different set of problems for our defense. But JB does have this week to tweak the D and prepare for this problem.

As for the MCW problem, that has already been started to be addressed towards the end of the season. JB has had BT become much more involved when pressure starts. Having two good handles out of our guards can really hinder one good on ball defender - see Indiana. So MI can try and use Burke to pressure but some problems arise for them. First, we have a pretty easy answer that we have now used in BT. And secondly, there is an energy expenditure expense placed on Burke. Third, they may need to factor in foul considerations, it would be a huge blunder for them if they have to sit Burke because of fouls. Fourth, is if they have Burke on MCW, after we get the ball down and into half court, there is a huge size mismatch for MCW. I don't see full court pressure coming. Would kind of like to see it, means they're panicing.
I agree with most of what you said here. I think the problems each team potentially present to the other are interesting. I hope I haven't sounded like I think UM has all of the advantages. I've just been trying give perspective since so many on here make it sound as if we have every advantage and a win is a foregone conclusion. My only disagreement is with BT covering for MCW. I agree that we've done a good job lately of using BT against the press. Where I have a concern is in the half court. MCW had a habit of having the ball just taken right from him by smaller quicker guys earlier in the year. He's done a better job of that lately though. The other problem is when he can't get around a guy with quick feet. When he hasn't been able to drive past tight defenders he has been frustrated, and that's when the backward jump passes and ill-advised jump shots start showing up. Hopefully CJ takes full advantage of his size with his match-up, and Keita/Christmas remain active on the boards. That may be the key since I could see the guards neutralizing one-another.

Michigan sounds more and more like a Notre Dame team every time I read about them.

Notre Dame has had some good teams the last few years, but they haven't had anyone like Burke, and they definitely don't have the athleticism on the wings that Michigan does. So Michigan as a more athletic version of ND? I can see that. They shoot a lot of 3's, protect the ball, and don't do a lot of work on the offensive glass.

On defense, they don't force a lot of turnovers and they don't foul a lot. It's a pretty awesome comp. ND, just with better players.

I'm clearly biased, but it just seems so obvious to me that we should be the favorite in this game. We're going to shock the world on Saturday by doing the exact same thing that we have been doing for the last 3 weeks.

Michigan is a 2 point favorite. No one is shocking the world in this game.

Notre Dame has had some good teams the last few years, but they haven't had anyone like Burke, and they definitely don't have the athleticism on the wings that Michigan does. So Michigan as a more athletic version of ND? I can see that. They shoot a lot of 3's, protect the ball, and don't do a lot of work on the offensive glass.

On defense, they don't force a lot of turnovers and they don't foul a lot. It's a pretty awesome comp. ND, just with better players.

Michigan is a 2 point favorite. No one is shocking the world in this game.

ND likes to slow you down - Michigan wants to run. I think that's the main difference.

ND likes to slow you down - Michigan wants to run. I think that's the main difference.

Yeah, definitely true. But other than that, it's kinda striking how similar they are from a four factors standpoint