I like our offensive scheme against zone

Wat

• Errr no

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • wat

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
It was as if we were surprised by it.
It was as if we had never seen one before.

And, there ought to be a law against both teams playing zone in a game. Just ugly basketball.

Yup, it's got to the point where some teams are using the zone defense to beat us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was as if we were surprised by it.
It was as if we had never seen one before.

And, there ought to be a law against both teams playing zone in a game. Just ugly basketball.

Georgetown found a way to execute their half court offense effectively / efficiently against our zone for most of the second half.

What was our excuse?

Yup, it's got to the point where some teams are using the zone defense to beat us.

i·ro·ny

/ˈīrənē/

Noun
The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Georgetown found a way to execute their half court offense effectively / efficiently against our zone for most of the second half.

What was our excuse?

We don't have a Porter?

We don't have a Porter?

Lots of teams without Porter seem to execute against the zone just fine.

We played incredibly poorly today, and got outplayed in most phases of the game.

Lots of teams without Porter seem to execute against the zone just fine.

We played incredibly poorly today, and got outplayed in most phases of the game.

We gave up too many second chance points in the second half and they flat out made shots and we just didnt. We had some open looks and just didnt know them down.

Lets not act like Georgetown tore us up. They only shot 35% and more than half their scoring came from one dude. If we didn't foul at the end they wouldn't have broken 50 either. We were just even worse.

you know you're in deep trouble when backup zonebuster Chuck Andpray reports to the scorers table.

Lets not act like Georgetown tore us up. They only shot 35% and more than half their scoring came from one dude. If we didn't foul at the end they wouldn't have broken 50 either. We were just even worse.
Im glad someone watched the same game as i thought i watched. They were equally as bad.

7-35.

They shot 7-35 excluding Otto's game and they won. Think about that. That should absolutely never happen.

What was our excuse?
Our coaching staff struggles against the zone big time. I can't remember the last team we had that could do anything besides bomb threes against the zone. In a way the SU zone has helped other BE coaches perfect their strategy on how to beat a zone because they know they have to go through us.

Perfect example is when CJ gets the ball at the FT line against a zone... Other teams run a play where they overload one side of the zone to force a backline player to guard two guys so when a pass goes to the top of the key they have a baseline guy cutting to the hoop as the pass goes in so that the guy at the key can pass it to him for a lay up or dunk. You can even take it one step further by having the weak side guy cut baseline so that he is open for a pass from the other baseline guy. The really good Pitt teams made a killing doing this.

What do we do? When CJ gets the ball he either shoots or drives against three dudes... To his credit he is good enough to do some damage but not enough to bust the zone. One play I would run is to have MCW with the ball at the 45 degree point if the arc, a shooter like Dirty at the 60 degree mark and Rak on the baseline facing the hoop half way between the hoop and the 3 point line. Ball goes to CJ at the key, center has to step up which forces the other backline defender to pick between Dirty or Rak... Rak cuts to the basket and CJ hits him for the dunk. Teams with players a lot less talented than ours do it to us but we almost never run action like this.

This is a trend that has spanned years where the only constant is JB so he must prefer the shoot over the zone method because that has been the most commonly used one over the years. The book has been out on us for the last several years... Milk the cliock to the 10 second mark, penetrate the zone and kick to a cutter or the wing, grab the boards that are available. On D zone the hell out of us and hope we don't get hot from the perimeter. If you can execute this and not turn the ball over you have a pretty decent chance of beating us. Luckily there are only about a dozen teams in the country in a given year who can execute against us so we will have a great record but not sniff a title as we inevitably face a team who can execute against us.

Our coaching staff struggles against the zone big time. I can't remember the last team we had that could do anything besides bomb threes against the zone. In a way the SU zone has helped other BE coaches perfect their strategy on how to beat a zone because they know they have to go through us...

We've been inept against good zones for a few years. It is funny (and really should be a running joke that the beat writers don't ask anything beyond superficial questions about this problem).

When our zone is great and we beat a good team, forcing them into a 4-20 kind of night, the Boeheim quote is usually along the lines of: "Just what we wanted - they hit a couple early ones, but you can't beat a zone by shooting over it."

When our opponent's zone beats us and we shoot 4-20, Boeheim: "We struggled shooting the basketball."

Huh?

We've been inept against good zones for a few years. It is funny (and really should be a running joke that the beat writers don't ask anything beyond superficial questions about this problem).

When our zone is great and we beat a good team, forcing them into a 4-20 kind of night, the Boeheim quote is usually along the lines of: "Just what we wanted - they hit a couple early ones, but you can't beat a zone by shooting over it."

When our opponent's zone beats us and we shoot 4-20, Boeheim: "We struggled shooting the basketball."

Huh?
We had some good shots and couldn't make them. Yeah, there were a few that were bad, but we make 3 more of those 3s and it's a different ballgame.

We had some good shots and couldn't make them. Yeah, there were a few that were bad, but we make 3 more of those 3s and it's a different ballgame.

There are a lot of ifs that could have made it a better game.

Fact is, Syracuse doesn't usually make three more of those threes. Because outside shooting is not something this group of players does well this season.

Further, you're not going to find anyone who would advocate shooting over a zone to beat it. Penetration, ball movement, those are good things. But that's all forgotten when we go up against that very familiar defense.

so you're cool with another david robinson/blake griffin type early tourney exit? not difficult to study up on these one trick pony teams. but you do got to design a defense and adjust to shut them down.

Having the best player in the conference does help. Who knew?

I watched some replays of the game on my dvr, and Brandon looked like a deer in the headlights at times losing track of Otto.

I watched some replays of the game on my dvr, and Brandon looked like a deer in the headlights at times losing track of Otto.

Unfortunately I also re-watched some on the dvr. Agree Brandon was pretty bad but what really stuck out to me on replay and what caused a lot of openings for Otto and their guards were the moving screens by Lubick. Good lord it was like he was blocking in pass protection. Worse than any Pitt player IMO. How #34 didn't get called at least once to get those screens under control was remarkable.

Unfortunately I also re-watched some on the dvr. Agree Brandon was pretty bad but what really stuck out to me on replay and what caused a lot of openings for Otto and their guards were the moving screens by Lubick. Good lord it was like he was blocking in pass protection. Worse than any Pitt player IMO. How #34 didn't get called at least once to get those screens under control was remarkable.
Good point.
Game in game out, that moving screen is virtually NEVER called. It's almost as if refs are saying to JB, "hey, you want to play that zone 100% then you have to deal with moving screens - don't like it, don't play zone."
:bang:

We play zone.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Thanks for the headsup. Very insightful.

You're welcome. I just watched a good part of the game over just to confirm that we did in fact play a zone.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I also like clubbing baby seals and all the Twilight movies.

The problem I see is that we run our offense against a zone very similarly to the way we attack man defense. Problem is, we don't pass enough to create spacing in the zone, too much dribbling, way too many jacks from 3-pt land (and, when we are cold, it's Saturday Ground Hog Day), and, when we do pass, it tends to be lateral. Plus, when we drop it down to CJ or whomever in the high post, that player, not looking for a dump down or a kick out to the corner, tries to dribble through three collapsing players. We need more crisp passing, more high/low, more drives and kick outs by the guards, and more baseline moves and kick outs to our shooter in the corner. Not enough triangulation to shift the zone. Finally, some scoring and put backs by our 5 position would also help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom