I like the NBA, but... | Syracusefan.com

I like the NBA, but...

Nicknack

All Conference
I like the NBA (not nearly as much as college), but do enjoy it particularly during the playoffs. What has sickened me is the fact that now, it isn't about a college kid being ready... it's just as much about potential. However, so often (as WE all know it) that potential doesn't mean anything other than a first ticket to the D league and eventually overseas. Kids get mislead. They make bad decisions often based on greedy people not truly looking out for them.

I don't think Ennis was ever going to be a great NBA player so his move, in my mind, was a good one because his stock was inflated. However, for most of the others who left early - let's take Grant for instance, I just wonder what would have happened had he stay in school for one or even two more years. Chances to build bulk to his body that he needs in the NBA as well as an outside shot and other such things. The absolute force he "could " have become is something I wish I could have witnessed.

It just seems to me that unless you want the FIRST paycheck and not another, fine, go out early (unless you are a Carmelo Anthony or similar player). If not, why rush it? We always here about the injury risk. Oh my, what if he gets injured in college - that could end his NBA hopes. I don't mean to undermine that possibility; however, I see coming out of college too early even more risky and damaging long term. Unless you are ready to go in year one, in the majority of cases, you are better continuing to work on your game, increase your draft status and actually be ready for the NBA when it comes time.

Hopefully kids will get the message at some point because things have changed now where just getting drafted isn't a dream any more (long-term or even short-term) for players who "could" potentially play in the NBA. It's the difference between a player getting sent to the D league and oversees (who could have been a good NBA player) and a kid who waits until he is truly ready so that when he does enter the NBA, he can stay and contribute. That's what it used to be about. It's a sad story now.

Cue up the usual arguments...gotta get paid. now. can't turn it down. Life changing money. College education is not worth this type of money. Got pressure from family to get the money. Can improve more in the NBA playing 0 minutes. 2-3 zone is poor preparation for NBA. What would you do with the chance to make that kind of money? etc etc etc etc.

The point about Ennis is apt. Like a company considering an IPO, if you are a kid whose stock has risen to the extent that the marketplace is overvaluing you, then it absolutely makes sense to grab the best dough you're likely to ever get offered. And maybe that is the case for the vast majority of underclassmen who get drafted and signed. The ironic thing is, one and done may not just describe a freshman's experience in college, but his tenure in the NBA, or (gulp) D league.

Here are a couple of links to articles I found germane and interesting.

A History of One and Done- A Guide for all Freshman Considering, "Making the Jump"
http://www.irex3.com/2014/04/12/51-one-doneers/

The Unofficial 2013 NBA Player Census
http://www.besttickets.com/blog/unofficial-2013-nba-census/

I like the NBA (not nearly as much as college), but do enjoy it particularly during the playoffs. What has sickened me is the fact that now, it isn't about a college kid being ready... it's just as much about potential. However, so often (as WE all know it) that potential doesn't mean anything other than a first ticket to the D league and eventually overseas. Kids get mislead. They make bad decisions often based on greedy people not truly looking out for them.

I don't think Ennis was ever going to be a great NBA player so his move, in my mind, was a good one because his stock was inflated. However, for most of the others who left early - let's take Grant for instance, I just wonder what would have happened had he stay in school for one or even two more years. Chances to build bulk to his body that he needs in the NBA as well as an outside shot and other such things. The absolute force he "could " have become is something I wish I could have witnessed.

It just seems to me that unless you want the FIRST paycheck and not another, fine, go out early (unless you are a Carmelo Anthony or similar player). If not, why rush it? We always here about the injury risk. Oh my, what if he gets injured in college - that could end his NBA hopes. I don't mean to undermine that possibility; however, I see coming out of college too early even more risky and damaging long term. Unless you are ready to go in year one, in the majority of cases, you are better continuing to work on your game, increase your draft status and actually be ready for the NBA when it comes time.

Hopefully kids will get the message at some point because things have changed now where just getting drafted isn't a dream any more (long-term or even short-term) for players who "could" potentially play in the NBA. It's the difference between a player getting sent to the D league and oversees (who could have been a good NBA player) and a kid who waits until he is truly ready so that when he does enter the NBA, he can stay and contribute. That's what it used to be about. It's a sad story now.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/opinion/schmitz-college/

I believe that even if I watched the NBA, I would not like the NBA. But I understand there is a place for it in our world, like mosquitos. I honestly believe that there is going to be a shift on this issue soon, just as I believe football is going to have to change in response to the concussion issue. They may be small shifts, but perhaps good ones for players and fans.

I've always been an optimist when I'm not being grumpy!

The first installment of a 3 part series by SU's own Danny Schayes.
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/12/16/one-and-done-a-data-driven-analysis-part-one/
Part 2 has the money stat:
"Players entering the draft earlier make more money in their careers. Players entering the draft later, on average, never make up the difference. Players who enter the draft earlier have extra earning years and get to free agency faster than players who stay in college longer. Keep in mind that the top players self select to enter the draft each year. That means that each successive group has the top 10 to 15 players removed. In theory, by the time players reach their junior year, the top 30-40 would-be juniors have already entered the NBA, reducing the talent pool.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom