I love how people rag on cooney but | Syracusefan.com

I love how people rag on cooney but

exactly.. btw cooney caused two nova turnovers and had a huge assist to mcw in ot.. yeah he missed an open 3 but thats all thats being discussed

exactly.. btw cooney caused two nova turnovers and had a huge assist to mcw in ot.. yeah he missed an open 3 but thats all thats being discussed

Dc is nowhere near ready. Ive finally accepted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be a dick or take any veiled shots at tbe coaching stuaff, but why? This is a quesiton everyone should be asking.

There's no disputing that young bigs take time to become productive, but isn't it a little odd that three - 3 - consecutive McDonald's centers come to Syracuse and absolutely can't be used in the second half of a game during their freshman years?

yeah dc2 i think just needs to learn in practice and in blowout games at this point.. he will be a good one but just not this year. this is what makes james absence so tough ...

I think the reason people focus more on Cooney's shortcomings is because as our third guard we need him more than Coleman this year.
we need our third guard more than we need out starting center? We wouldn't if our starting center was any good.

It's not so much the missed open three I have a problem with. It's that by going small, we took our best defender at the top of the zone, and put him in the back...where he has basically never played, and is too small to play. He doesn't belong back there.

As for causing turnovers, Coleman also caused a big one down the stretch. Neither was a great option at that point, but Coleman can at least rebound and keeps others in their regular positions defensively.

we need our third guard more than we need out starting center? We wouldn't if our starting center was any good.
Yes, we need him more. DC is a token starter and probably because JB promised him he'd start.

I thought DC2 played will in the opening minutes and shouldn't have been subbed so quickly. It certainly was awful in the late stretch of the game, but we can't completely rip his game today.

Why do we seem to have a lot of highly touted recruits who just aren't ready? It seems the ones you wouldn't think would do much end up making an impact.

Not trying to be a dick or take any veiled shots at tbe coaching stuaff, but why? This is a quesiton everyone should be asking.

There's no disputing that young bigs take time to become productive, but isn't it a little odd that three - 3 - consecutive McDonald's centers come to Syracuse and absolutely can't be used in the second half of a game during their freshman years?
Interesting question, how are other teams highly rated centers doing in their frosh year?

Why do we seem to have a lot of highly touted recruits who just aren't ready? It seems the ones you wouldn't think would do much end up making an impact.
Many centers aren't ready in their first season. There are just so many adjustments that need to be made at this level.

well, your 3rd guard should never be more important than your starting center. Coleman shouldn'[t start. If he didn't, maybe we wouldn't be down 10-0 at the start of the game today.

I think that's why DC gets a pass. Nothing is expected of him this year now. Nothing. Fair or not, Cooney is still expected to live up to his billing as a shooter. The number of air balls are perplexing.

well, your 3rd guard should never be more important than your starting center. Coleman shouldn'[t start. If he didn't, maybe we wouldn't be down 10-0 at the start of the game today.

Arguing with yourself?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

As for causing turnovers, Coleman also caused a big one down the stretch. Neither was a great option at that point, but Coleman can at least rebound and keeps others in their regular positions defensively.

Coleman has three rebounds in his last 41 BE minutes -- he might be able to rebound but he certainly hasn't shown that of late.

Eh, I don't know that it's all that crazy. I mean, Coleman and Melo have/had conditioning problems. I personally would have been shocked if DC was giving us 10/7 right now just based on the fact that he was playing at JD and playing at a weight north of 300. Melo and Rak are also new to the game for all intents and purposes. I mean, we recruited Davis and Noel and I have a feeling if either had come we would have had a productive freshman center. And Keita was serviceable as a frosh, so it's not like it's impossible.

I think the bigger issue is a lot of the McD's kids think the game is really easy b/c they've been told how they can walk on water (even if they are flunking classes or transferring to 8 different schools and fighting with coaches or involved in other off-court issues) for 6 or 7 years by the time they get to college. For some, they're too good for it to matter. For others, they get hit with a pretty hard dose of reality upon arriving at their college of choice.

If you look at the frosh we've had be productive of late -- Grant, Fair and BT (to a degree at least), were under-rated kids, by and large. MCW was a McD's but he wasn't asked to play 35 mins and was a late bloomer.

I honestly just think big guys -- unless they are truly, truly elite level kids -- just have a really hard time figuring this game out in Year 1.

Eh, I don't know that it's all that crazy. I mean, Coleman and Melo have/had conditioning problems. I personally would have been shocked if DC was giving us 10/7 right now just based on the fact that he was playing at JD and playing at a weight north of 300. Melo and Rak are also new to the game for all intents and purposes. I mean, we recruited Davis and Noel and I have a feeling if either had come we would have had a productive freshman center. And Keita was serviceable as a frosh, so it's not like it's impossible.

I think the bigger issue is a lot of the McD's kids think the game is really easy b/c they've been told how they can walk on water (even if they are flunking classes or transferring to 8 different schools and fighting with coaches or involved in other off-court issues) for 6 or 7 years by the time they get to college. For some, they're too good for it to matter. For others, they get hit with a pretty hard dose of reality upon arriving at their college of choice.

If you look at the frosh we've had be productive of late -- Grant, Fair and BT (to a degree at least), were under-rated kids, by and large. MCW was a McD's but he wasn't asked to play 35 mins and was a late bloomer.

I honestly just think big guys -- unless they are truly, truly elite level kids -- just have a really hard time figuring this game out in Year 1.

That's fair. You make some good points. I can't pretend to know the answer to any of these things, and there's no question that there are reasons why our past three "elite" bigs have struggled.

Whatever the reason, Syracuse is having some difficulties developing its bigs right now.

I thought DC2 played will in the opening minutes and shouldn't have been subbed so quickly. It certainly was awful in the late stretch of the game, but we can't completely rip his game today.
We were down 10-zip, JB probably thought he better get his best players in sooner than later.

i think the other big factor is Cooney is a rFR, and Derrick is a trFR. Big difference, and i think there are many more TC apologists while everyone realizes that Derrick is no where near ready

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom