I love how people rag on cooney but | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I love how people rag on cooney but

I'm not sure. This game is too fast for DC right now. He's abused defensively and while I agree he'll be a better rebounder some day -- he has 3 rebs total in the last 41 minutes. That is a sad number if it is your primary skill at this point.

Not sure he's played enough to make a judgement.

Without looking I'd guess Keita numbers aren't any better in twice as many minutes.

Eh, I don't know that it's all that crazy. I mean, Coleman and Melo have/had conditioning problems. I personally would have been shocked if DC was giving us 10/7 right now just based on the fact that he was playing at JD and playing at a weight north of 300. .
I voiced this opinion all spring and summer. Nearly everybody said that his was so atheletic that it would not be a problem. And when he reporteted at 288 instead of 300+ they said see, he's ready for at least 7/7. I still wonderd how a kid 6'9" and 288 could be quick enough to play. Heck, I went to school for Lanier's last 2 seasons and his "in shape" at 6'10" was less than 288!

It's a joke that anyone is talking about Cooney being a factor in this loss... and DC will be fine. Sure, he's not ready yet but he's a freshman.

DC's a bit more disappointing for me. I realize he has a lot of potential and it takes big men more time to adjust to the college game, etc. However, it seems SU has started an unfamiliar/unusual trend with Top 10/blue chip McDonald AA's the past couple of years with both Fab Melo & now DC...in that they're somewhat of a work in progress type. Generally, over the years, I don't recall the Mickey D type kids having so much of a transition hurdle as the two aforementioned have needed. :noidea:

DC's a bit more disappointing for me. I realize he has a lot of potential and it takes big men more time to adjust to the college game, etc. However, it seems SU has started an unfamiliar/unusual trend with Top 10/blue chip McDonald AA's the past couple of years with both Fab Melo & now DC...in that they're somewhat of a work in progress type. Generally, over the years, I don't recall the Mickey D type kids having so much of a transition hurdle as the two aforementioned have needed. :noidea:
Coleman will work out fine. He's just figuring out the college game. He'll be good next year and I think really good the year after. I think most of our centers have been early "works in progress". I can't think of one that hasn't been.

No mention of dc.

Dead giveaway of why we went small

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lets see a true freshman big guy, everyone knows bigs take a few years. Versus a deadeye redshirt freshman? I hope Cooney turns it around, at this pace he will lose playing time next year and either sit the bench for four years or transfer. Lots of true freshman around the country especially at guard make impacts...

Coleman will work out fine. He's just figuring out the college game. He'll be good next year and I think really good the year after. I think most of our centers have been early "works in progress". I can't think of one that hasn't been.

I understand & I do think eventually he'll be a significant contributor. Though, the premise of my point was that it's generally atypical for a Mickey D level recruit to be a 'work in progress.' Over the years, SU hasn't had many of these caliber (Mickey D) big guys...and to finally get a couple and for both of them consecutively barely see the floor their freshman years, well, is just a bit peculiar to me.

Not sure he's played enough to make a judgement.

Without looking I'd guess Keita numbers aren't any better in twice as many minutes.

Well, DC has 3 rebs in 46 BE minutes for a .07 rebs/min number. Keita has 13 rebs in 93 minutes for an underwhelming .14 rebs/min number. I don't know that that makes Keita look good, but it does suggest he's twice the rebounder DC is. If you want to go rebound percentage, be my guest, but the point is DC has done absolutely nothing to suggest he'd be grabbing "more" rebounds than Keita. The real problem is that neither one is better than present day keita.

I just wonder what DC2 would look like at 95% of the other schools in America that he would start at and be given a huge leash to play through and learn from mistakes. He'd be riding the pine at UK too but at alot of other schools he would probably be given big minutes and the chance to improve in game time.

Cooney is just ridiculous. He's laughable at this point as a D-1 player.

Both Dajuan and Trevor are four year players. No problem with that .. they are not ready yet but still get minutes to show something. I still think we have a decent shot at a Sweet 16 this year even without JS, Dajuan or Trevor .. and I would be very satisfied with that result.

I just wonder what DC2 would look like at 95% of the other schools in America that he would start at and be given a huge leash to play through and learn from mistakes. He'd be riding the pine at UK too but at alot of other schools he would probably be given big minutes and the chance to improve in game time.

Cooney is just ridiculous. He's laughable at this point as a D-1 player.
I disagree unless you feel Andy Rautins was ridiculous too. I think Cooney is learning to play...just like Rautins did. Cooney has not been hitting but I bet he is in practice. That will translate to games. It's his first year.

Cooney was 0-1 v. Villanova and one would think, based on comments, that he was like 4 of 17.

Cooney didn't lose the game for Syracuse, but for a kid with his reputation, a full year of coaching, scrimmages, and conditioning at SU and he airballs open looks.

As far as people saying Rak was leaving after this year, and I'm one of them, it's not based on him taking his talents to the NBA, but more that he just doesn't look like he wants to be on the team anymore. It's more of a vibe thing. Like he'd rather go play overseas or anywhere other than being yelled at by Boeheim.

Cooney didn't lose the game for Syracuse, but for a kid with his reputation, a full year of coaching, scrimmages, and conditioning at SU and he airballs open looks.
While not happy with a missed shot, the crazy thing about him, as poor as he is shooting, is his 3 pt. % is still better than MCW's. I think Cooney will get his game aligned with his practices. Give him time. He's a had a few nice games...they will increase in numbers.

I disagree unless you feel Andy Rautins was ridiculous too. I think Cooney is learning to play...just like Rautins did. Cooney has not been hitting but I bet he is in practice. That will translate to games. It's his first year.

Cooney was 0-1 v. Villanova and one would think, based on comments, that he was like 4 of 17.
I didnt say he will never be good...I would bet he eventually will be a good college player, but that one shot was an airball that was just so sad lol.

I didnt say he will never be good...I would bet he eventually will be a good college player, but that one shot was an airball that was just so sad lol.
To me, a miss is miss. If it had hit the rim you would be happier?

I'm just surprised how bad his hands are -- sometimes he shows nice touch and then he goes the entire game without bobbling a pass or rebound. Annoying.

I'll say this for Cooney: it's pretty rare for a shooter to get so few attempts, and it's difficult for him to find a rhythm under these circumstances. If Marius Janulis or McNamara were to airball his first shot, he'd get ten more attempts and probably find his stroke. A lot of guys miss their first attempt. When it's also the last attempt, we all remember the miss.

It's a little troubling that his shot has missed inconsistently (long, short, right, left), and I wish he'd try a little harder to work inside-out. Give Cooney 15 minutes a game and actually make him part of the offense, though, and I think he'd settle in.

I'm just surprised how bad his hands are -- sometimes he shows nice touch and then he goes the entire game without bobbling a pass or rebound. Annoying.
You may have lost me. I thought not bobbling passes and rebounds is a good thing.

Dc is nowhere near ready. Ive finally accepted it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about Grant? He's become the most positive player lately off he bench. Excellent free throws. Fouls will become non-existent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom