I may have missed it (George DeLeone is back!) | Syracusefan.com

I may have missed it (George DeLeone is back!)

I feel like DeLeone got a ton of credit when we were a program on the rise, and a lot of blame when things were going downhill. It wasn't all negative with him.

Former Syracuse coordinator George DeLeone will become offensive line coach at Baylor (report)

The narrative that this guy was all that was bad with Syracuse football was always foolish to me. Sounds like the program that we want to emulate is hiring the guy that ran an innovative offense back in the day when we were the Baylor of football. I love the circle of life. Happy new year everyone!

I think some things change and you do not change with it. He may be another casualty of the sport passing him by. Of course, he had a ton of talent in the beginning to work with. If I am not mistaken, didn't he replace Keven Rogers?

I think some things change and you do not change with it. He may be another casualty of the sport passing him by. Of course, he had a ton of talent in the beginning to work with. If I am not mistaken, didn't he replace Keven Rogers?

well if the sport has passed him by, he's lapping the sport again because Baylor just hired him to be the OC. I always think we get a bit over the top with the sport passing one by. I think by any metric, football is still a game of deception, power and game planning. If one has the correct personnel, any style can work. The key is finding the right game plan for the right time.

I think George DeLeone was smart to utilize the option and the athletic qbs we had from the late 80s through the 90s (SU was one of the few schools with predominant black QBs who could run and pass). I think as many have stated, we lost our way when we lost our ability to find that next great QB. The talent kinda run out and the system changed and then it fell apart. I think everything pivoted on Michael Vick but that's a story for another day.

Kevin Rogers replaced him when George went to the Chargers.

Then he logically took back over when Rogers went to ND, since he'd already come back to the staff as DC in 1998.

He was an innovator here. Always a great OL coach. Recruiting fell apart here, and his offenses became very inconsistent with it. (regardless of what I might have said 13-16 years ago).

i don't think baylor fans are going to like the matt rhule offense - this is a tough gig for deleone

D joined the program in '85 as OL, run game coach, installed the freeze option. Bill Maxwell was the OC.

He took over as OC in '87. Just by coincidence P joined the staff that season.

Rodgers joined as QB coach in '91 when P took over. That structure changed in '97 when D went to the Chargers.

shocked that he hasn't been a DC since his epic stint here

Gosh, that's a tough post.

His defense played Tennessee straight up - was screwed with that PI call - and soundly defeated Tom Brady/Michigan.

In addition, his defense held Miami to less than 20 points that year - 66-13?

And, of course, the team went on to the Orange Bowl.

Hasn't any of what has happened since 2004 impacted your assessment of the P&D regime at all?

The sport has not passed him by.

Coach Deleone had a great year this season with Temple.

He ran the OL and the running game - and dominated teams - including USF, which beat us pretty good.

There is a reason why Matt Ruhle is taking him to Texas.

His defense played Tennessee straight up - was screwed with that PI call - and soundly defeated Tom Brady/Michigan.

Hasn't any of what has happened since 2004 impacted your assessment of the P&D regime at all?
i think that defense was great! that's why i'm so shocked he hasn't been a DC since

The freeze option was a great innovation. OCs don't have nine lives, they have their one thing, and it runs its course. he and P are where they belong and good for them.

i think that defense was great! that's why i'm so shocked he hasn't been a DC since

Sorry.

I guess I thought you were being sarcastic - you know, trying to be funny?

DeLeone coached defense before he came to Syracuse.

He can coach any aspect of the game.

He is best known for his OL/running game expertise and I think he enjoys that part of the game.

The freeze option was a great innovation. OCs don't have nine lives, they have their one thing, and it runs its course. he and P are where they belong and good for them.

DeLeone coordinated at part of the Temple offense this season.

So, he apparently has a few offensive "lives" left.

Kevin Rogers replaced him when George went to the Chargers.

Then he logically took back over when Rogers went to ND, since he'd already come back to the staff as DC in 1998.

He was an innovator here. Always a great OL coach. Recruiting fell apart here, and his offenses became very inconsistent with it. (regardless of what I might have said 13-16 years ago).

Recruiting "fell apart" for one reason - money.

The offense was inconsistent pretty much because of inconsistent play at QB - and that position was impacted by a lot of bad luck.

Sorry.

I guess I thought you were being sarcastic - you know, trying to be funny?

DeLeone coached defense before he came to Syracuse.

He can coach any aspect of the game.

He is best known for his OL/running game expertise and I think he enjoys that part of the game.
they were 4th in scoring and 54th in scoring defense in 98 (after being 19th, 15th, and 14th the prior three years)

after deleone went back to offense, they were 34th, 21st, and 19th

one of those seasons is not like the others.

from 2002 on, they stopped being good on defense

if they insisted on having deleone back, they should've just fired rogers and hired a better DC. that year might've been even better

The offense was inconsistent pretty much because of inconsistent play at QB - and that position was impacted by a lot of bad luck.

This is where P was too good a soldier and not good enough at politics. He should have lobbied harder to get the money he needed and to sound the alarm.

I get a kick out of how everyone loves to talk about the demise of SU Football with P&D but always fail to mention the part where it was also pretty damn good to allow for such a demise. We deserve what we have gotten sometimes if you ask me.

I'd take a demise right now b/c that means we would have climbed to some sort of successful perch.

DeLeone coordinated at part of the Temple offense this season.

So, he apparently has a few offensive "lives" left.
ok, call him a run game coordinator. that's fine. he can be good at that and offensive line coaching. no shame in those things.

Agree. I didn't mean to imply recruiting fell apart because we forgot how to recruit. Although, it turned out that one loss (Vick) really hurt us and wasn't quite at decline time.

Competitors rose up and we didn't keep up. Rutgers, Pitt (with Heinz), UConn (with Burton). Even BC stepped up their game.

Meanwhile, we were looking around and saying that the wood paneling and drop ceiling in the locker rooms looked just fine.

This is where P was too good a soldier and not good enough at politics. He should have lobbied harder to get the money he needed and to sound the alarm.

I get a kick out of how everyone loves to talk about the demise of SU Football with P&D but always fail to mention the part where it was also pretty damn good to allow for such a demise. We deserve what we have gotten sometimes if you ask me.

I'd take a demise right now b/c that means we would have climbed to some sort of successful perch.

The demise of the program wasn't one thing. P could have declined at the same time proper investments didn't happen.

P was really good for a bunch of years and then fell off. That's what happens to a ton of coaches who stay at the same spot for that many years.

robinson being terrible doesn't change my assessment of P&D. i doubt the uconn experience changes your opinion.

one thing that has changed for me is i have a greater appreciation for how easy those schedules were even with the tough OOC games

Agree. I didn't mean to imply recruiting fell apart because we forgot how to recruit. Although, it turned out that one loss (Vick) really hurt us and wasn't quite at decline time.

Competitors rose up and we didn't keep up. Rutgers, Pitt (with Heinz), UConn (with Burton). Even BC stepped up their game.

Meanwhile, we were looking around and saying that the wood paneling and drop ceiling in the locker rooms looked just fine.
all the stars aligned in the nineties heyday (johnny majors, dan henning, nehlen's decline, rutgers and temple) and i still feel like it could've been a lot better.

all the stars aligned in the nineties heyday (johnny majors, dan henning, nehlen's decline, rutgers and temple) and i still feel like it could've been a lot better.

Dome was still considered a top facility. Throw in Miami's probation as well which hit them for a couple years.

It could have been better, but I'd rather chew off my hand than start 2017 going down that rat hole.

well if the sport has passed him by, he's lapping the sport again because Baylor just hired him to be the OC. I always think we get a bit over the top with the sport passing one by. I think by any metric, football is still a game of deception, power and game planning. If one has the correct personnel, any style can work. The key is finding the right game plan for the right time.

I think George DeLeone was smart to utilize the option and the athletic qbs we had from the late 80s through the 90s (SU was one of the few schools with predominant black QBs who could run and pass). I think as many have stated, we lost our way when we lost our ability to find that next great QB. The talent kinda run out and the system changed and then it fell apart. I think everything pivoted on Michael Vick but that's a story for another day.

Baylor hired him to be the offensive line coach, not the OC. Big difference.

robinson being terrible doesn't change my assessment of P&D. i doubt the uconn experience changes your opinion.

one thing that has changed for me is i have a greater appreciation for how easy those schedules were even with the tough OOC games

Give me a break.