I miss the BIG EAST | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I miss the BIG EAST

I like watching/being in the ACC every bit as much as I did the original BE. You aren't excited about Clemson v Wake? Seton Hall v Providence never did anything for me either.

wallacecuse said:
I like watching/being in the ACC every bit as much as I did the original BE. You aren't excited about Clemson v Wake? Seton Hall v Providence never did anything for me either.

I'm not excited about the next SU-Clemson or SU-Wake game.

In a lot of ways, we WERE the Big East and a significant part of its brand was due to Syracuse. Though the overall situation is better in the ACC, in some ways it's a demotion. We gave up a big part of our own brand in joining the ACC and will have to establish our strength in the conference before it'll approach the same feel. I just want to get another shot at a NC before JB leaves, to cement his place and to restate our place in the pecking order. We have the largest fan support in the country for basketball and that's a big deal. I miss the Big East but it's time to create a new "paradigm" for our place in national college sports. We've been fortunate overall and I have confidence we'll continue to be a force. Nothing is ever static...we're either going to grow or diminish. I choose the former.
This this this! Well done, Shenexon! We were Kings in the BE; now we have been demoted to step-children who will have to prove themselves every step of the way. And we may not be accepted for at least a generation, or longer. Also, the size of the conferences is such an issue for everyone. My ACC friends are in mourning for their old ACC, just as we are in mourning for the old Big East. The scheduling is crap. The NBA is snatching our kids! And my hair turned white and I don't know when that happened and the planet is burning up!! AHH AHHHH!

Okay, deep breaths. Change is hard. Change is hard.

i find myself truly not caring about the ACC at all, other than our games and a NC FB hopeful

i used to care about a Prov vs SHU score, and a Nova-UConn type tilt was much watch tv for me

now, GTech vs Wake or Clemson vs Anyone...meh (at best)

What about South Florida vs Cincy?

There was a lot of quality basketball in the Big East... teams, tourneys, rivalries, but there was some real duds in there and some of the old BE programs who were really struggling for most of the last 10 years who are finally turning it around

All things considered, I miss all of the rivalries and the tradition that had evolved over the years with the Big East. Not so much the Big East as it was toward the end of it's existence but the way it was when it was Cuse, Gtown, Nova, BC, PC, St. John's, W.Virginia, Pitt, and you know who. I'm trying to buy into the whole ACC thing but...jeeze... just really missing what no longer is.
Of course...it was the old neighborhood...the extended northeast and a different time.
We knew all about the other guys...even the ones we usually didn't care about very much.
We had a blood rival in G-town and another big one in UConn
Now we're in new turf where we don't naturally fit and have little history or connection.
Tradition dies because it's all about the Benjamin$$$ today.

I mean every season. I'm surprised the networks don't demand that the name teams play each other twice a year. And I don't like it from a fan's standpoint.

We didn't get home and homes with Uconn and Georgetown every year either.

Part of the problem with the ACC is the fact that 3 of their legacy teams seem to be in a fairly lengthy downward spiral (Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Clemson). They had much better quality teams around 1995-2005.

Although it is not all quality of teams. Some of their programs are a bit underrated or just not that alluring. Last year excluded, Florida St and Notre Dame had been fairly similar over the prior handful of years, but that matchup lacks appeal compared to Notre Dame.

Last edited:
What about South Florida vs Cincy?

There was a lot of quality basketball in the Big East... teams, tourneys, rivalries, but there was some real duds in there and some of the old BE programs who were really struggling for most of the last 10 years who are finally turning it around

not a marquee matchup you chose, but yeah, I cared more about that than FSU/Clemson bball by a mile, and not just because those were 2 teams from the roughest hoops league I've seen in my lifetime. Maybe the ACC someday gets double digit teams into the dance, but not soon (esp if UNC gets hit like they should, which is still doubtful at best)

as for some of the old gang turning it around, I'm honestly glad for them. as said before I openly had a very secondary rooting interest in all the old BE teams. I'd like to see almost all of them win everything in sight, unless against us or my now #goACC interest (which is far below what my previous BE interest was) For the record, this does not extend to UConn (who I partially think got screwed so bad in the reshuffle because their fans are so douchey) and GTown (because they swallow). Do you think the likes of Prov and SHU improving have anything to do with not playing us, Pitt, ND, Louisville, WVU, Uconn and Cincy on the regular any more?

Last edited:
As the Norwegian Blue Parrot pines for the fjords, so the Syracuse basketball fan pines for the old days of the Big East.

We landed as well as we possibly could have. It was the ACC or the AAC. Either that, or SU converts from Methodism to Roman Catholicism and we join the new Big East.

wallacecuse said:
Because they weren't easy?

Basketball or football. Doesn't matter.

I have no connection to those schools and I never will.

You can add a number of other ACC schools to that list.

Call me old school.

I like to see SU play schools with more regional connections.

But I've moved on. It is what it is.

Do you think the likes of Prov and SHU improving have anything to do with not playing us, Pitt, ND, Louisville, WVU, Uconn and Cincy on the regular any more?

I remember this question came us last year -- and the answer was no. Not last year anyway.

I had did a post last year where I compared the KenPom ranking for the last handful of years for these 3 teams as of December 31. (old rankings can be accessed via archive.org). The reason for using December 31 is to mostly eliminate conference play.

The programs were much better last year based on the Dec 31 ranking- the KenPom rankings were not just barely better then they had been in the last 3-5 years of the Former Big East.

I thought I would miss the Big East more, but I live in a little Syracuse basketball bubble. I didn't care what others teams in the Big East were doing and I don't care what other teams in the ACC are doing. I care about how much we're going to beat our next opponent by.

I do miss the rivalries, but those will develop in the ACC with time. I think we'll always keep some kind of series alive with G'town, 'Nova, St. John's, maybe UConn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom