I really like this new approach of finding a guy who can throw and letting him do that | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really like this new approach of finding a guy who can throw and letting him do that

McCord is a once in a decade (maybe more) QB. It is rare for a starting top P2 QB with McCord's stats to transfer. And, he was fully developed when he showed up at Syracuse. Next year, the offense won't look anything like it does this year.

Agreed with a good chunk of your first post. However, several changes in the collegiate landscape have allowed this to happen.

1. Exponential growth and usage of transfer portal. The number of players now available via portal has increased by a factor of close to 10 since 2020. Getting a guy like McCord was simply close to impossible 4-5 years ago. Title contending starting QBs just didn’t really happen.

2. NIL opportunities / budget increasing at Syracuse. School finally competing like peer level schools with regards to NIL opportunity and use of it. Brown’s staff couldn’t have been assembled a few years ago. Didn’t have the means.

3. QB that can actually handle the RPO game. McCord is one of the most cerebral college QBs playing. There is very little that a defense can throw at him that would rattle him. Tommy DiVito is a lower tier NFL WB talent. I don’t think he’d be able to handle this offense at the same level McCord is.

4. Heavy use of motion by Nixon. This is a growing trend in football, and one of the few that has worked its way down from the pro game to college game. It allows for a few things: confused defensive secondary assignments, allows QBs greater transparency into defensive coverages, and creates match up issues (TE of LB / S, HB of LB).
Hawaii lit up with a Chinese guy well before all this

McCord is a once in a decade (maybe more) QB. It is rare for a starting top P2 QB with McCord's stats to transfer. And, he was fully developed when he showed up at Syracuse. Next year, the offense won't look anything like it does this year.
The per pass numbers say he isn't.

People here are gobsmacked because 90% of the games they watch are a team whose best QB recruit threw the ball 47 times in high school

25 years of warnings about northeastern gym coaches and Chuck and duck and run and stop the run from guys in Charles Way jerseys with lipitor drips notwithstanding, this newfangled approach of finding qbs who can throw better than they can run and letting them do that seems to be working

If Brown has told us this what he was going to do, i'd have been on board

I still didn't think he's great at a lot of the small details but I'm not that fussy. This stupid sport destroys brains and creates a self contained perpetual terrarium ecosystem of brain damaged future coaches so you didn't have to be great, you just have to be less stupid

I will take this all back if he wrings his hands about balance
What are the small details? The kid is averaging 350 yds and 3 TDs a game. What more can you expect ???

The per pass numbers say he isn't.

People here are gobsmacked because 90% of the games they watch are a team whose best QB recruit threw the ball 47 times in high school
His over statistics are phenomenal

I honestly think McCord could have a Brady-like career. Not predicting championships or being the best ever, moreso going from 6th rounder to NFL starter. Would not surprise me.

Wake had Sam Hartman. We can get guys like that. You ain’t winning with guys who can run but only throw ducks past 10 yards.

What are the small details? The kid is averaging 350 yds and 3 TDs a game. What more can you expect ???
I was taking about brown, not McCord. I have no complaints about McCord.

Funny a few months ago many here said we can only win with a running qb. Amazing what happens when we have a smart, poised, qb that’s accurate.
Well let’s be fair - we’re doing this with one of the top 5-10 QB’s in college football. If Fran hadn’t come here, McCord would be at Nebraska right now and we’d be stuck with some motley crew of QB’s that were 4th or 5th on a depth chart somewhere.

I honestly think McCord could have a Brady-like career. Not predicting championships or being the best ever, moreso going from 6th rounder to NFL starter. Would not surprise me.

I'm watching Red Zone right now. I expect McCord to be on it next year.

By the way, Scott Hansen is mentioning Sean Tucker's name on ever play he's in and added that SU beat NC State last night. ;)

25 years of warnings about northeastern gym coaches and Chuck and duck and run and stop the run from guys in Charles Way jerseys with lipitor drips notwithstanding, this newfangled approach of finding qbs who can throw better than they can run and letting them do that seems to be working

If Brown has told us this what he was going to do, i'd have been on board

I still didn't think he's great at a lot of the small details but I'm not that fussy. This stupid sport destroys brains and creates a self contained perpetual terrarium ecosystem of brain damaged future coaches so you didn't have to be great, you just have to be less stupid

I will take this all back if he wrings his hands about balance

You are the new coach when the Carrier Dome opens in 1980. You look around and say "Let's run the Option!" :rolleyes: :oops::(

I will happily bet you that he isn't
I used to think he was a 2nd to 4fh rounder.. However, given the way NFL GMs fall in love with QBs that are accurate and quick through their progressions, I think I was wrong.

Nobody will have a Brady like career

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom