I really, really want to be in the Preseason Top 25 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really, really want to be in the Preseason Top 25

we absolutely should be ranked, hopefully we are. I am sure 4-8 Nebraska and their god of a coach will be ranked, since, you know, they won a few games in the 2nd half of the season last year. Just to name one team who better not be ranked if we aren't ranked!

When do the actual rankings come out. The AP, and coaches poll. Should be soon no?

yep, they confuse the horrific hiring of GERG with the firing of P being a mistake. not the case. P had to go, and we needed to hire a good coach, and Gross botched it
Ummm...NO.

You don’t fire a legendary future HOF Coach, who just won the BE, that late in the process.

Especially when you don’t have a list of 7-10 Coaches in your USC luggage ready to step right in.

That was the disaster.

Tell him...next year I want 8 wins and a bowl or your gone...in that season ended Exit Meeting, don’t show him the door.

This is pretty simple stuff that apparently people still don’t fluckin get.

Ummm...NO.

You don’t fire a legendary future HOF Coach, who just won the BE, that late in the process.

Especially when you don’t have a list of 7-10 Coaches in your USC luggage ready to step right in.

That was the disaster.

Tell him...next year I want 8 wins and a bowl or your gone...in that season ended Exit Meeting, don’t show him the door.

This is pretty simple stuff that apparently people still don’t fluckin get.

Just won the Big East.. please, that watered down garbage version that we would have won outright if we didn’t lose to Temple for the second time in 3 years. Just losing a combined 3 times to Temple/Rutgers from 2002-2004 which were their only 3 conference wins(except when they played each other) was enough to get him canned. And you can find a coach later in the process, interviewing a complete imbecile like Robinson and thinking he is the guy was the crime

Just won the Big East.. please, that watered down garbage version that we would have won outright if we didn’t lose to Temple for the second time in 3 years. Just losing a combined 3 times to Temple/Rutgers from 2002-2004 which were their only 3 conference wins(except when they played each other) was enough to get him canned. And you can find a coach later in the process, interviewing a complete imbecile like Robinson and thinking he is the guy was the crime
No, you can’t.

Fire him before the BC game then.

Cuse had no plan.

No, you can’t.

Cuse had no plan.

You are right they didn’t. So I guess what I should say is they should have had a plan and he then should have been fired. Vintage 2000 decade football hell at SU

No, you can’t.

Cuse had no plan.

In hindsight (because I'm sure I didn't say this back in my young fireballer days), it was handled as horribly as it could have been.

If we lost to BC, like everyone expected (I mean Temple just owned us the week before), it's a losing season, third straight with no bowl, and there's really not a lot of noise about making that decision right then and there.

But destroying BC in Chestnut Hill and making it to a bowl should have meant you keep him one more year. You can't hire after a bowl game like that, there just isn't enough available.

All's well that ends well, life is good right now. But man those were some dark days.

In hindsight (because I'm sure I didn't say this back in my young fireballer days), it was handled as horribly as it could have been.

If we lost to BC, like everyone expected (I mean Temple just owned us the week before), it's a losing season, third straight with no bowl, and there's really not a lot of noise about making that decision right then and there.

But destroying BC in Chestnut Hill and making it to a bowl should have meant you keep him one more year. You can't hire after a bowl game like that, there just isn't enough available.

All's well that ends well, life is good right now. But man those were some dark days.
Exactly.

You have to have 2-3 guys in your back pocket right there.

Fire him after temple or a BC Loss, but once he wins, if you DONT have a succession plan, which CLEARLY we DID NOT, then you have a year to get one.

Sadly, TGD didn’t learn from this and STILL didn’t have a ‘Break in Case of Emergency’ Plan after Doogie Flucked us.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

You have to have 2-3 guys in your back pocket right there.

Fire him after temple or a BC Loss, but once he wins, if you DONT have a succession plan, which CLEARLY we DID NOT, then you have a year to get one.

Sadly, TGD didn’t learn from this and STILL didn’t have a ‘Break in Case of Emergency’ Plan after Doogie Flucked us.
[/QUOTE]

The sort of sad part is that I think he hired the guy that was in his back pocket. And the way the bowl game went down gave him that opening.

Again, I'm hindsighting. When GRob was hired, I'd be lying if I said I knew it wouldn't work. But man... it. did. not. work.

You learn a lot from failure.

The sort of sad part is that I think he hired the guy that was in his back pocket. And the way the bowl game went down gave him that opening.

Again, I'm hindsighting. When GRob was hired, I'd be lying if I said I knew it wouldn't work. But man... it. did. not. work.

You learn a lot from failure.
when grobbycakes was hired, I thought we struck gold.

Apparently, we hired a gold painted rock from the Rockies.

The SS hire, oomph.

yeah, we had 2 P5 HC guys on staff...

Everytime someone on the basketball board says they like starting outside the Top 25 in order to "sneak up on people", part of me dies inside. Like are we Syracuse or Iona?

BUt iN 2003 wE WErE unRanKED PReSEasON And WOn tHE ‘ShiP!

*can’t do classic sarcasm Courier New font posting via phone*

I know the conventional coach-speak is that "it doesn't matter where you start, it's where you finish, yada yada." To hell with that. Teams that are ranked get more attention on Sportscenter and more eyeballs on your program is an objective advantage.

Even if we're 25th to start, I just want a number next to our name the entire season like the good old days. Do this for us, Football Gods.

I don’t care.

Just win the damn games. No one remembers the numbers the following week unless your #1.

You are right they didn’t. So I guess what I should say is they should have had a plan and he then should have been fired. Vintage 2000 decade football hell at SU
It wasn't Gross it was that idiot Smurf who screwed everything up.

I don’t care.

Just win the damn games. No one remembers the numbers the following week unless your #1.

Ranked teams play on national TV more, they get featured on highlight shows more, and they get talked about on College Gameday more. Exposure perpetuates more exposure. Dino is doing an awesome job, but if we want to take the next step we need more elite level recruits, and the way you do that is by kids seeing you and thinking about you on a regular basis.

Ranked teams play on national TV more, they get featured on highlight shows more, and they get talked about on College Gameday more. Exposure perpetuates more exposure. Dino is doing an awesome job, but if we want to take the next step we need more elite level recruits, and the way you do that is by kids seeing you and thinking about you on a regular basis.

The Clemson game can determine that. And not losing the first two.

After being “bleh” for 14 of 15 years, I still don’t mind being on the fringe of any hype. Every game is broadcasted these days, so winning in our style takes care of a lot.

I'm guessing we start ranked in the 20-23 range. I think if we were to beat Liberty and Maryland then lose a somewhat close game to Clemson we may not be ranked the next week but would likely the following if we beat Western Michigan.

I mean we should absolutely be ranked, but I won’t be surprised in the slightest bit if we aren’t. I say that because a decent amount of preseason polls don’t have us in there ... cough cough ESPN. We should be around 20-25.

I prefer that SU be ranked. That said, ESPN will likely want a Top 25 matchup for week 3, regardless of whether Game Day is at the Dome. With the new ACCN kickoff, ESPN will want hype and exposure of its properties. I expect the ESPN and ABC personalities to start building up the ACC and SU in their own interest.

How many ACC teams will be ranked to start the season? Obviously Clemson, but how many more? And more importantly who deserves to be ranked more than we do?

That holds your answer to whether we are ranked to start the year IMO

High teens to start the season, close to 10 when Clemson and gameday roll into town, and top 6 when they both leave.

I still don't think that most pundits realize the talent on the field and on the sidelines in CNY... Yet. However we are the primary challenger for Clemson's throne and TV execs will A. Hype week 3 like crazy and B. Not want Clemson to have to be dropped outside the top 10 with that loss.

After week 3 this season, it will be people's fault that they didn't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom