I really want to like the NBA... | Syracusefan.com

I really want to like the NBA...

cto

Administrator
...but this all-star game "production" is making it really difficult.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than on basketball.

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but back in the day when I loved the NBA (and had season Knicks tickets), it appealed to all ages because it was about .... BASKETBALL Today, not so much.

The NBA since Jordan has been ALL about hip hop.

Love it or hate it, it's not going anywhere.

...but this all-star game is making it really difficult.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than basketball.

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but back in the day when I loved the NBA (and had season Knicks tickets), it appealed to all ages because it was about .... BASKETBALL Today, not so much.

^^^This is the poster child post of why I dont watch the NBA anymore. How anyone can say the NBA is better than college just blows me away. Thank god Cal/USC is on tonight otherwise I would have nothing to watch.

The NBA was actually terrible for quite some time before magic and bird came along. im not sure how long back you are referring to. the quality of play is actually really high right now. I dont think there is much more focus on rapping and entertainers around this all star game than any other all star game. alicia keys was awful during halftime. What happened to her.

If you want to like the NBA, don't watch a meaningless game.

The NBA is ridiculously good (and has been for 4-5 yrs now). Personally, I think it's better than college basketball (which I believe is at its lowest point...at least in my 30 yrs of watching college ball) right now.

The All-Star game will tell you nothing. Its an event/spectacle not a game. Similar to watching the Pro Bowl and trying to figure out why people like the NFL.

44cuse

^^^This is the poster child post of why I dont watch the NBA anymore. How anyone can say the NBA is better than college just blows me away.

I love college basketball, but in reality the product is at an all time low for as long as I have been watching (early 80's)

In fairness, it's an all-star game. Watch the McDonald's game in a few weeks. It will be the same thing. Has nothing to do with the NBA.

^^^This is the poster child post of why I dont watch the NBA anymore. How anyone can say the NBA is better than college just blows me away. Thank god Cal/USC is on tonight otherwise I would have nothing to watch.

Disagree Marsh. I think the NBA is way better (right now).

The All-Star game sucks (as all of these types of games do). But the NBA is really awesome right now. Night in and night out.

44cuse

I love college basketball, but in reality the product is at an all time low for as long as I have been watching (early 80's)

I've been watching a little longer and I still love every minute of it as I did back then.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than basketball.

It's definitely a generational thing, but I like watching games (not this one) during the regular season and the playoffs to see the amazing athleticism these guys have. And, occasionally there is some team play and defense played as well. It's just amazing when you have guys 6'11 that can shoot the lights out from three and guys 6 foot tall that can jam with the best of them.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than on basketball.

Disagree Marsh. I think the NBA is way better (right now).

The All-Star game sucks (as all of these types of games do). But the NBA is really awesome right now. Night in and night out.

44cuse

I just cant get into it anymore 44. I dont disagree with what you are saying but I just cant get into it like I did when I was growing up. I will watch a little in November/December but from January through March the NBA doesnt exist. Come playoffs I may tune in but then its baseball season.

I also hate the NBA for the college kids leaving early and have never forgiven them for what they are taking away from the college game.

The difference between the NBA and College boils down to the fact that in the NBA, EVERYONE can hit the open 15 footer.

In college...not so much.

Don't get me wrong. I love the skills of the NBA players. I loved the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams. They were there to play basketball... which they did. I just dislike the way the NBA is PACKAGED... with all the hip hop and rap and show biz. I want to see BASKETBALL.

I also hate the NBA for the college kids leaving early and have never forgiven them for what they are taking away from the college game.

And there is the rub. If I had a choice...I would rather that College Hoops was better than the NBA (and for that to happen kids would have to stay 4 years). But since it isn't that way, I guess on some level I have forced myself to really get into the NBA.

But then again...we're the guys who are watching Zags/St. Mary's or Cal/USC...so what do we know. ;)

44cuse

And there is the rub. If I had a choice...I would rather that College Hoops was better than the NBA (and for that to happen kids would have to stay 4 years). But since it isn't that way, I guess on some level I have forced myself to really get into the NBA.

But then again...we're the guys who are watching Zags/St. Mary's or Cal/USC...so what do we know. ;)

44cuse

Well said!

Don't get me wrong. I love the skills of the NBA players. I loved the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams. They were there to play basketball... which they did. I just dislike the way the NBA is PACKAGED... with all the hip hop and rap and show biz. I want to see BASKETBALL.

That's fair CTO. (Not that I have to be the decider of what is "fair" to you...that's not what I mean.) But it's totally understandable that the packaging may suck (which I think it does as well). That said, the quality of the NBA is so much better than it was 5-10 yrs ago. There is just a crowd here who doesn;t watch the NBA and just comes with the standard: "the NBA sucks" diatribe.

44cuse

I can't watch more than 10 minutes of an NBA game unless its watching Melo roll. The NBA has always had great players with great skills and flash. But it used to be more cerebral and a team game. Now it's only flash.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I can't watch more than 10 minutes of an NBA game unless its watching Melo roll. The NBA has always had great players with great skills and flash. But it used to be more cerebral and a team game. Now it's only flash.

You should force yourself to watch a bit more. The ball movement in the NBA is incredible right now. It's _way_ more team than it has been in a really long time.

44cuse

The skill level of the top NBA players is beyond imagination, even though the game they play is not the game I learned. Watching the All-Star game is like anti-soccer (score at will).

I can't watch more than 10 minutes of an NBA game unless its watching Melo roll. The NBA has always had great players with great skills and flash. But it used to be more about set shots and a slow floor game.

Now it's only high flying athletic individualism.

Fixed it for you.

That's fair CTO. (Not that I have to be the decider of what is "fair" to you...that's not what I mean.) But it's totally understandable that the packaging may suck (which I think it does as well). That said, the quality of the NBA is so much better than it was 5-10 yrs ago. There is just a crowd here who doesn;t watch the NBA and just comes with the standard: "the NBA sucks" diatribe.

44cuse

I happen to think that the packaging is what saved the NBA. Once Jordan retired, the NBA imo was headed down the path of irrelevancy (maybe that's too harsh, but it was losing popularity). By packaging itself in a youthful way, encouraging individualism and hyping it's best players, I think the NBA has solidified itself as the second most popular pro sport after the NFL. Stern takes a lot of heat, but you can't deny how popular and profitable the league is right now.

I happen to think that the packaging is what saved the NBA. Once Jordan retired, the NBA imo was headed down the path of irrelevancy (maybe that's too harsh, but it was losing popularity). By packaging itself in a youthful way, encouraging individualism and hyping it's best players, I think the NBA has solidified itself as the second most popular pro sport after the NFL. Stern takes a lot of heat, but you can't deny how popular and profitable the league is right now.

I probably should have caveated that by saying the packaging comment was just my opinion. And I like hip-hop...I just think the NBA chooses crappy music.

And fwiw, I agree with you that the packaging did alot to save the NBA.

44cuse

This is also All-Star weekend, cto. During the 82 game regular season, there aren't concerts at halftime, just like during the 16 game NFL season Prince and Madonna aren't trying to put on a show during halftime.