I really want to like the NBA... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I really want to like the NBA...

...but this all-star game "production" is making it really difficult.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than on basketball.

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but back in the day when I loved the NBA (and had season Knicks tickets), it appealed to all ages because it was about .... BASKETBALL Today, not so much.

Let me try to break it down...know that I'm coming at this as a particular viewpoint of a late 20s male who embraces and consumes "hip hop culture."

As the NBA was starting to take off in the 80's with rising popularity, so was Hip Hop. For the first time, you had black artists who had complete control over their own business and were able to flaunt their individual talents in a way that their R&B forefathers hadn't been able to do before them due to control at every turn from the white music industry establishment.

Meanwhile, the NBA was quickly becoming the ONLY major pro sport in America where young black men could fully express their individual talents and still be lauded within the context of a team game. You can't do that in Football. For all the individualism that special players have, you're still confined to an offensive play caller, to a QB who hands you or throws you the ball. Baseball is perhaps the ultimate team sport. You can hit 4 home runs a game and your team can still lose. In basketball, you have individual players expressing their athletic creativity and individual style of play. In the NBA however, you can be an individual and express yourself, but still be part of a team.

As the 80's and 90's progressed, the NBA saw the rise in popularity of individual PLAYERS, unlike the more traditional "team" framework of the 60's and 70's. Magic, Nique, Barkley, A.I. & Jordan immediately come to mind. The best modern example today is probably LeBron.

This change is echoed in Hip Hop too, as the "superstars" moved away from the Run DMCs, NWAs and Public Enemies of the 80's and gave rise to the individual super-rappers of the 90's. Rappers like Nas, 2Pac, the Notorious BIG and Jay-Z all come to the forefront as individuals in a way that Hip Hop hadn't seen before.

Then even more crossover between Hip Hop and Basketball happened, with cultural touchstones like the Fab 5, A.I., White Chocolate, etc...

Now what we're seeing is the results of all the change that happened in both cultures since the 80's and 90's. Both Hip Hop and the NBA are now almost 100% about the individual. And I don't think that's such a bad thing that both groups represent a space where young black men can express themselves creatively on an individual level at the height of their respective circles of cultural influence.

And yes, as others have said, the talent in the NBA right now is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy college ball more, but as a fan of the game, it is incredible what some of these guys can do.

People often say "NBA sucks because there is no defense". While I agree, at times, defense can be lackadaisical, it looks much worse than it is because the offensive abilities of these players are the best in the world.

Great article about Marvin Gaye's singing of the national anthem 30 years ago at the 1983 all-star game. The shift implied by this "rendition" signals what I was talking about in my previous post.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8947394/the-marvin-gaye-national-anthem

For my money, that's perhaps the most beautiful national anthem at a sporting event that I've ever heard.

Don't get me wrong. I love the skills of the NBA players. I loved the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams. They were there to play basketball... which they did. I just dislike the way the NBA is PACKAGED... with all the hip hop and rap and show biz. I want to see BASKETBALL.

I think that what you are saying it absolutely true.

The NBA is gunning for 18-49 Males...and they are successful

Let me try to break it down...know that I'm coming at this as a particular viewpoint of a late 20s male who embraces and consumes "hip hop culture."

As the NBA was starting to take off in the 80's with rising popularity, so was Hip Hop. For the first time, you had black artists who had complete control over their own business and were able to flaunt their individual talents in a way that their R&B forefathers hadn't been able to do before them due to control at every turn from the white music industry establishment.

Meanwhile, the NBA was quickly becoming the ONLY major pro sport in America where young black men could fully express their individual talents and still be lauded within the context of a team game. You can't do that in Football. For all the individualism that special players have, you're still confined to an offensive play caller, to a QB who hands you or throws you the ball. Baseball is perhaps the ultimate team sport. You can hit 4 home runs a game and your team can still lose. In basketball, you have individual players expressing their athletic creativity and individual style of play. In the NBA however, you can be an individual and express yourself, but still be part of a team.

As the 80's and 90's progressed, the NBA saw the rise in popularity of individual PLAYERS, unlike the more traditional "team" framework of the 60's and 70's. Magic, Nique, Barkley, A.I. & Jordan immediately come to mind. The best modern example today is probably LeBron.

This change is echoed in Hip Hop too, as the "superstars" moved away from the Run DMCs, NWAs and Public Enemies of the 80's and gave rise to the individual super-rappers of the 90's. Rappers like Nas, 2Pac, the Notorious BIG and Jay-Z all come to the forefront as individuals in a way that Hip Hop hadn't seen before.

Then even more crossover between Hip Hop and Basketball happened, with cultural touchstones like the Fab 5, A.I., White Chocolate, etc...

Now what we're seeing is the results of all the change that happened in both cultures since the 80's and 90's. Both Hip Hop and the NBA are now almost 100% about the individual. And I don't think that's such a bad thing that both groups represent a space where young black men can express themselves creatively on an individual level at the height of their respective circles of cultural influence.

You used the word individual 11 times. I agree.

Sent using my Commodore 64

The NBA's "second season" also known as the Playoffs blows away anything College Basketball can offer and yes I include the Tournament because im sick of mediocre teams playing in the Elite 8 because of all the upsets. NBA Playoff Basketball is just sick and the best teams actually win.

Don't get me wrong. I love the skills of the NBA players. I loved the 2008 and 2012 Olympic teams. They were there to play basketball... which they did. I just dislike the way the NBA is PACKAGED... with all the hip hop and rap and show biz. I want to see BASKETBALL.
jaydamn.png

I never understand how people can say there is no defense in the NBA or that the NBA is all one on one. I love watching the NBA because its played on a completely different level of strategy and basketball IQ than college. Next time you watch an NBA game don't just watch the ball, watch the entire floor. The spacing and ball movement on offense is unbelievable. When guys do just go iso more often than not its a guy with a ridiculous amount of skill and footwork creating a shot out of nothing. Same thing on defense, watch the 4 guys playing off the ball and every one of them is almost always in perfect position on the rotation. I used to really like watching college and would watch almost any game, but to put it bluntly the quality of play lately just isn't very good. There are very few guys who can consistently make shots or create and finish, and with the 35 second shot clock the games get shortened all the time. Teams just kill clock half minute at a time, NBA there are always more possessions for the team behind to come back and doesn't let a team just sit on the ball. To each his own and everybody enjoys different things about the game but personally I love the NBA because its just such a better product of basketball in term of skill level, scheme, athleticism, it's great. The only clear advantage I'll give college is the atolmosphere of your typical game compared to an NBA game. College crowds make it a more enjoyable experience which I thinks helps make it a better game to watch for someone watching.

I just cant get into it anymore 44. I dont disagree with what you are saying but I just cant get into it like I did when I was growing up. I will watch a little in November/December but from January through March the NBA doesnt exist. Come playoffs I may tune in but then its baseball season.

I also hate the NBA for the college kids leaving early and have never forgiven them for what they are taking away from the college game.

Don't put all the blame on the NBA. Pro leagues across the globe are creating opportunity's for guys who don't make the NBA. They are the safety net which makes kids going pro a no lose situation.

Watch the Thursday, Friday and Sunday showcase games during the regular season and the playoffs. As far the Hip Hop thing the NBA is marketed to young people. Friday Night that had some rock band on...I had to mute it! But Basketball is a very rhythmic game and it lends itself to music always has and always will. Most areas play music geared to their audience. You will here country music at Memphis home games.

...but this all-star game "production" is making it really difficult.

Too much hip-hop, too much rapping, too much focus on "entertainers" of questionable ability -- rather than on basketball.

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but back in the day when I loved the NBA (and had season Knicks tickets), it appealed to all ages because it was about .... BASKETBALL Today, not so much.

The game itself is two teams of Harlem Globetrotters playing defense like the Washington Generals.

I never understand how people can say there is no defense in the NBA or that the NBA is all one on one. I love watching the NBA because its played on a completely different level of strategy and basketball IQ than college. Next time you watch an NBA game don't just watch the ball, watch the entire floor. The spacing and ball movement on offense is unbelievable. When guys do just go iso more often than not its a guy with a ridiculous amount of skill and footwork creating a shot out of nothing. Same thing on defense, watch the 4 guys playing off the ball and every one of them is almost always in perfect position on the rotation. I used to really like watching college and would watch almost any game, but to put it bluntly the quality of play lately just isn't very good. There are very few guys who can consistently make shots or create and finish, and with the 35 second shot clock the games get shortened all the time. Teams just kill clock half minute at a time, NBA there are always more possessions for the team behind to come back and doesn't let a team just sit on the ball. To each his own and everybody enjoys different things about the game but personally I love the NBA because its just such a better product of basketball in term of skill level, scheme, athleticism, it's great. The only clear advantage I'll give college is the atolmosphere of your typical game compared to an NBA game. College crowds make it a more enjoyable experience which I thinks helps make it a better game to watch for someone watching.

Don't even try this argument here. It's failed for years. No one wants to hear it even though you are 100% right.

Remember, this is Syracuse board. Which is completely fine. But this board...and the 5 iterations before it going all the way back to the AOL board...are college sports fans. Not pro sports fans. It's a very limited perspective.

44cuse

Don't even try this argument here. It's failed for years. No one wants to hear it even though you are 100% right.

Remember, this is Syracuse board. Which is completely fine. But this board...and the 5 iterations before it going all the way back to the AOL board...are college sports fans. Not pro sports fans. It's a very limited perspective.

44cuse

Nice shot at people who have a different opinion. There is no right or wrong. It's personal like and dislike. But you know what people should like.

Nice shot at people who have a different opinion. There is no right or wrong. It's personal like and dislike. But you know what people should like.

Like I said: "...completely fine." And you're dead right it's a shot at people. It's just not a shot at people who have a different opinion. It's a shot at people who come on this board and say crazy things like dirk nowitzki is better than LeBron.

That's an indication of the quality of NBA discussion around here. Be as defensive as you want. It's completely true.

44cuse

The difference between the NBA and College boils down to the fact that in the NBA, EVERYONE can hit the open 15 footer.

In college...not so much.
even blake griiffin ?
not sure he can do anything but dunk

Like I said: "...completely fine." And you're dead right it's a shot at people. It's just not a shot at people who have a different opinion. It's a shot at people who come on this board and say crazy things like dirk nowitzki is better than LeBron.

That's an indication of the quality of NBA discussion around here. Be as defensive as you want. It's completely true.

44cuse

You just changed your comment.

This. Especially when the ball is passed around the perimeter leading to open threes. The passing is unbelievable. Crisp, accurate, on time. It's insane.

44cuse

Lebron James is a coward. Wes Johnson and Jonny Flynn just need a chance of scenery to start dropping 20 and 10 :)

The NBA's "second season" also known as the Playoffs blows away anything College Basketball can offer and yes I include the Tournament because im sick of mediocre teams playing in the Elite 8 because of all the upsets. NBA Playoff Basketball is just sick and the best teams actually win.

Wow--completely disagree about March Madness, which I consider to be the best event across any sport. To each their own.

And I'm a fan of the quality of play in the NBA playoffs [well, starting with the 2nd round, after the crappy teams get ousted].

You used the word individual 11 times. I agree.

Are you Dr.Rrlbees? Because you've got a P.H.D - Playa Hater's Degree! :)

Wow you are in the 1% minority on this one. The entire month of March blows away all other sporting events combined x 1000.

This. Especially when the ball is passed around the perimeter leading to open threes. The passing is unbelievable. Crisp, accurate, on time. It's insane.

I would hope so since the best players in the world play in the NBA.

Even though the quality of play is pretty low right now and the scoring is way down I still prefer college hoops to the nba. I just get bored watching most nba regular season games. Playoffs are a completely different story, but it ain't as good as march madness, no way.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2