"I run Chino Hills, I run UCLA.." | Syracusefan.com

"I run Chino Hills, I run UCLA.."

This guy is the epitome of living vicariously through his kids.

Yeah I don't buy the "well, as long as his kids are ok with it" nonsense, what else are his kids going to say? The guy is a moron. You want to create a brand for your soon to be lottery pick son? Ok, but what he is really doing is trying to create one for himself.

20 years later Where are they now! His kids have no money cause he was their finance advisor and manager and they are in a legal battle with each other about likeness and branding. These kind of things tend to play out funny sometimes.

Last edited:
People like Lavar Ball have been ruining youth sports for years. You're not the coach, sit down and Shutup.

He is all that is wrong with youth sports, no your son is not going to be better than Curry, no you couldn't beat Mj, if he had two broken legs, and no one is giving your kids a billion dollar shoe deal, just be quiet and enjoy your kids games.

He is all that is wrong with youth sports, no your son is not going to be better than Curry, no you couldn't beat Mj, if he had two broken legs, and no one is giving your kids a billion dollar shoe deal, just be quiet and enjoy your kids games.

Brief 7th grade hoops story. One loudmouth parent was basically trying to coach the team (not just his kid) from the stands just bellowing nonstop directions to all the kids. I couldn't help myself and asked him, since he apparently knows so much about the game, why his kid didn't even know how to take his two steps on a layup yet(the kid just dribbled up to the hoop, tried to stop by just slowing down and coming to a stop and then shot...no jump stop power layup either). He wasn't happy with me, lol. I can't help myself...cannot stand those types.

Brief 7th grade hoops story. One loudmouth parent was basically trying to coach the team (not just his kid) from the stands just bellowing nonstop directions to all the kids. I couldn't help myself and asked him, since he apparently knows so much about the game, why his kid didn't even know how to take his two steps on a layup yet(the kid just dribbled up to the hoop, tried to stop by just slowing down and coming to a stop and then shot...no jump stop power layup either). He wasn't happy with me, lol. I can't help myself...cannot stand those types.

I coached football for a couple of years at a hs with a guy who was a dc at a d1 school, and was the hc at a d2 school, this one parent everyday would harass him, telling him he knew nothing about football, it was actually quite comical.

Ball also has a weird, low release on his jumper. That could be trouble in the NBA.

Reminds me a bit of Steph Curry, not in his ability but how he carries himself, this confidence that seems to be a bit of arrogance at times. Steph can back it up at least most of the time.

That story is sad. How embarrassing.

Although I don't agree with Lavar's parenting/wanna be coach tactics,
I think he is on to something with the brand idea. A reporter asked him if he was taking advantage of his kids and he simply answered that's what the ncaa is already doing. He's right. His kids might not end up big enough stars to drive a billion-dollar brand but that's yet to be seen and it's not important whether he succeeds.

What is important is that his idea may inspire other prominent players and their families to start promoting their brands. The ncaa/nba stranglehold on amateurism, a modern day indentured servitude, will be threatened. It's another step in the right direction. Other recent ones include northwestern football organizing, nigel hayes, etc.

Lavar's idea has credence especially in an age where the ncaa/march madness makes hundreds of millions, probably a billion and their white guys in suits make hundreds of thousands off a sport that showcases a majority black players. Non-profit my fanny. Just look at their salaries. I know what salaries are at real non-profits that actually serve needy families in the hood in Oakland. They're closer to minimum wage.

Coaches salaries have also risen astronomically while players are in an arguably worse situation. More games, more practice, more workouts, more travel, less choices in classes, and still no power. With Lavar's branding It's all about keeping the money in the family, or in the neighborhood if you will.

How is it that college basketball has grown exponentially while the situation for players remain at best the same? And why do we allow it.

His vision and passing is next level. He needs to figure out how to not shoot from his abdomen.

This is everything. PG might be the deepest position in the NBA and you *have* to be able to shoot well to be a legit starting PG in the NBA.

I love Ball's vision and passing, as you said, but you cannot be an elite PG without being able to have a decent shot. He crosses his body to load the shot and then the form is awful. He's reducing the height of his release and takes a while to get it off. Now, this is fine in college because he's so good, but, again, with the #1 or #2 pick, that is a huge issue, especially because he is not an elite-level athlete.

This is everything. PG might be the deepest position in the NBA and you *have* to be able to shoot well to be a legit starting PG in the NBA.

I love Ball's vision and passing, as you said, but you cannot be an elite PG without being able to have a decent shot. He crosses his body to load the shot and then the form is awful. He's reducing the height of his release and takes a while to get it off. Now, this is fine in college because he's so good, but, again, with the #1 or #2 pick, that is a huge issue, especially because he is not an elite-level athlete.
Exactly. MCW would be an All-Star if he could shoot. He can't, therefore he gets traded around the league with teams thinking they can fix his shot and then turn him into that All-Star.

Yet another reason why pops doesn't know half as much as he thinks he does. If he was some hoops guru, he wouldve taught his kids good shooting form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom