I think ACC move was a defensive attack | Syracusefan.com

I think ACC move was a defensive attack

DomeStranger

All Conference
I see SU/PITT as being a chess move that defends and also attacks at the same time which is why it became a no brainer for the ACC.

A lot of talk about Big East teams getting "conditional" offers from the Big 10 may have sparked this. Maybe SU, Pitt, Rutgers and UConn were all told there is a possibility of a Big 10 invite if the dominoes fell a certain way in which Big 10 would reach out to 3 of these 4 schools to join with Penn State as the Eastern division. While Rutgers and UConn were licking their chops and saying their prayers, SU & Pitt offers themselves to the ACC. With SU & Pitt off the table it makes a Big 10 eastern expansion much less likely. This keeps the free agent pool (Big East) open for future poaching if needed.

I just can't see the Big 10 expanding east for Rutgers or UConn. They may be adequate fill ins but not quite the flagships the Big 10 is currently seeking.

I also don't see either of these teams getting an ACC invite unless the ACC loses a single member somewhere or unless all the other conferences appear headed for 16. If the ACC loses 2 members it may just as well stay at 12.