I think it's safe to say Ward will be | Syracusefan.com

I think it's safe to say Ward will be

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
coaching for his job the rest of the year, when a team is that bad on one side of the ball, you can't keep him. Hopefully, they can get better as season goes versus some opponents who aren't as athletic and savy on O, there are a few games but not a lot.

coaching for his job the rest of the year, when a team is that bad on one side of the ball, you can't keep him. Hopefully, they can get better as season goes versus some opponents who aren't as athletic and savy on O, there are a few games but not a lot.

Shafer would have had similar results against Louisville as FSU demonstrated earlier. USF would have scored less due to tempo, but we'd still have lost.

I think we were better this week and saw some things that gave me hope.

North Dakota St just beat #13 Iowa with the same defense...nuff said.

there were far fewer mistakes this week than last week.. we handled the sprint sweep well all but a couple times. same for the wide screen. we didnt let nearly as many guys get open deep, the breakdowns were far worse. it still led to too many points.

at some point we have to play a team that doesnt have NFL dline athletes again.

Curious how good usf really is. I think they might be quite good. But if you're only better than rice and Hawaii in the end, you gotta go

Curious how good usf really is. I think they might be quite good. But if you're only better than rice and Hawaii in the end, you gotta go

We're apparently not going to find out anything when they beat FSU by 5 TDs next weekend.

Way too early to know about Ward. Relax. A lot of what I see has to do with player execution and player mistakes, and, very clearly, limited speed and athletism. This is no just a DB issue or a Ward issue.

The D should perform better against Uconn. But I expect them to get tourched all season.

Ward isn't the problem the talent is just not good. We have 3-5 ACC caliber players on defense. We need 2 years of these recruits who capable ACC players getting better. It is like what USF went thru their old coach left the cupboard bare and they had 2 terrible years getting young players thru the system but not last year and this year there are ready.

USF has more talent on their roster than we do. If we give up 30 points this week people will see it isn't the scheme its the players as UConn's offense is atrocious.

We need atleast 2 LBs, 3 DBs, and 2 DEs to compete defensively. The only position on D I have any confidence in is DT.

Assuming we upgrade the talent on defense, wouldn't playing a rarely seen defense be to our advantage?

Ward isn't the problem the talent is just not good. We have 3-5 ACC caliber players on defense. We need 2 years of these recruits who capable ACC players getting better. It is like what USF went thru their old coach left the cupboard bare and they had 2 terrible years getting young players thru the system but not last year and this year there are ready.

USF has more talent on their roster than we do. If we give up 30 points this week people will see it isn't the scheme its the players as UConn's offense is atrocious.

We need atleast 2 LBs, 3 DBs, and 2 DEs to compete defensively. The only position on D I have any confidence in is DT.
Low talent yes, but should they look lost out on the field?! A good coach makes adjustments to his scheme depending on the type of players he has... I don't see any play calling instincts to bring selected blitz pressure in game; Ward is George McDonald on defense...

2 Tampa isn't a bad defense. The point of it is to keep the ball in front of the defense and the offense be flawless.

People who want aggressive defenses like the eye candy of what it is perceives as tough.

Shafer's Ds made plays but also got burnt to toast because of the aggressiveness. Teams would screen against our blitzes and kill us. The problem isn't the Tampa 2 its the execution. We are giving up big plays because the safeties are out of position against Louisville and our team speed is bad.

Low talent yes, but should they look lost out on the field?! A good coach makes adjustments to his scheme depending on the type of players he has... I don't see any play calling instincts to bring selected blitz pressure in game; Ward is George McDonald on defense...
Oh please he is not George McDonald. McDonald couldn't even get the plays in and the team was scrambling a lot and had to waste timeouts.
When has the D wasted a TO to get set. What scheme would work with this talent? It was burnt like toast last year under the aggressive staff. If your QB could throw you lit us up last year. Hell we even made Brandon Harris look good.

I mean 3 games and people are calling Ward the worst DC of alltime. The guy doesn't have the horses. What adjustments could we make? We can't play the safeties deeper then the middle is wide open. The DBs cant play m2m and so we have open wholes in our zone. We don't have any pass rush. It isn't the DC's scheme. It is the roster.

Oh please he is not George McDonald. McDonald couldn't even get the plays in and the team was scrambling a lot and had to waste timeouts.
When has the D wasted a TO to get set. What scheme would work with this talent? It was burnt like toast last year under the aggressive staff. If your QB could throw you lit us up last year. Hell we even made Brandon Harris look good.

I mean 3 games and people are calling Ward the worst DC of alltime. The guy doesn't have the horses. What adjustments could we make? We can't play the safeties deeper then the middle is wide open. The DBs cant play m2m and so we have open wholes in our zone. We don't have any pass rush. It isn't the DC's scheme. It is the roster.
Ward does not have a good feel of in-game play calling, that was George McDonald in a nutshell... What's the point of saying he doesn't have the horses to run Tampa 2? I could run it with a stud D, but will we ever have that here? There are guys doing a lot more with less across the country. Merit warrants opportunity more than cronyism in my book...

Ward does not have a good feel of in-game play calling, that was George McDonald in a nutshell... What's the point of saying he doesn't have the horses to run Tampa 2? I could run it with a stud D, but will we ever have that here? There are guys doing a lot more with less across the country. Merit warrants opportunity more than cronyism in my book...
What in game play calling? We got stops in the first quarter, and third quarter. The fourth was pointless after the punt return.

The D was not like the Louisville game yesterday. They had short fields to defend the entire 2nd quarter and stopped USF plenty. Yesterday the problem was after the first Q the offense did nothing but gain yards and stall.

We don't need elite talent we need middle of the road ACC talent. We have the 2nd least talented roster in the conference.

That's crazy no coach in his first yr with personnel that doesn't fit the scheme is coaching for job.

What in game play calling? We got stops in the first quarter, and third quarter. The fourth was pointless after the punt return.

The D was not like the Louisville game yesterday. They had short fields to defend the entire 2nd quarter and stopped USF plenty. Yesterday the problem was after the first Q the offense did nothing but gain yards and stall.

We don't need elite talent we need middle of the road ACC talent. We have the 2nd least talented roster in the conference.

Usf punter was excellent

Smh

Serious question: What's harder to play against, a predictable defense or an unpredictable defense?
We have the most predictable defense I've ever seen...

It's completely possible that this is inexperience and the talent deficiencies at key spots rather than coaching. In fact, I'd put money on that.

Ward is not Mcit.

It's completely possible that this is inexperience and the talent deficiencies at key spots rather than coaching. In fact, I'd put money on that.

Ward is not Mc. . . . it.
I agree man, but a good coach adjusts to what he has, he doesn't try to pound a square block into a round hole...

I agree man, but a good coach adjusts to what he has, he doesn't try to pound a square block into a round hole...

I hear you. Inexperience isn't fixed by scheme ... it's by trying and failing and working hard. If they give up on him and don't get better, that would be way, way more alarming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom