I think people are reading too much into this stuff | Syracusefan.com

I think people are reading too much into this stuff

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
with Marrone, ton of kids hurt, he doesn't know who will or will not play, trying to scrap together a defensive backfield versus an OC that basically bitch slapped us last year with big receivers who now has even better and bigger receivers.

I wouldn't be in a very good mood either, I don't see any jedi mind tricks being played here. He asked for help, ie; don't ask me about who is in or who is out because he doesn't know

Like I said, we will be lucky to stay in this game due to the extent of the injuries, very lucky

This is why I think it's a good idea to play some HS teams like Rutgers does OOC. Wake, going to Southern Cal and then Toledo are tough games.

This is why I think it's a good idea to play some HS teams like Rutgers does OOC. Wake, going to Southern Cal and then Toledo are tough games.

They are who we should be playing swap the URI game with Wake as far as order of who we play first and this schedule is perfect. I question the west coast trip as to its impact on the team but after seeing how well we were represented out there its tough to argue. I would love to play UCLA out there at some point, it was hell of a lot of fun from a fan perspective. If the team was half as tired as I was when they got home, good lord. I could have used an IV of pedialite on the way back... I did fire a 77 at Elmira CC on Monday when I got back though, started with two bogeys and a double and went straight for the bloody mary's. I do not believe in a white knuckle sobriety after a long weekend like that

Reactions: CIL
It's hard and with schollys down to 85 a lot more teams are capable of beating teams they would have never beat before as well. The MAC is pretty deep this year and it would have been nice to have had a breather in that one but I know we thought the same about RI so that one hurt playing the starters too much because of how close it was.

I agree with you and maybe SU just has to tailor their schedule better like some schools do and be able to get the byes set up better as well. I said earlier I really didn't like the USF game on a Friday after the UConn game which will be an emotional one as well.

Plus, once we get to the ACC will we be playing 9 conference games? Have they said anything about that yet because if so that makes it an extra AQ and luckily we have ACC teams on our OOC so there will be room for an adjustment unless we can't find teams to schedule because their dance cards are already full.

It's hard and with schollys down to 85 a lot more teams are capable of beating teams they would have never beat before as well. The MAC is pretty deep this year and it would have been nice to have had a breather in that one but I know we thought the same about RI so that one hurt playing the starters too much because of how close it was.

I agree with you and maybe SU just has to tailor their schedule better like some schools do and be able to get the byes set up better as well. I said earlier I really didn't like the USF game on a Friday after the UConn game which will be an emotional one as well.

Plus, once we get to the ACC will we be playing 9 conference games? Have they said anything about that yet because if so that makes it an extra AQ and luckily we have ACC teams on our OOC so there will be room for an adjustment unless we can't find teams to schedule because their dance cards are already full.

with 9 conference games, SU should be playing a 1AA team, a MAC team, and one better BCS program every year, IMO

with Marrone, ton of kids hurt, he doesn't know who will or will not play, trying to scrap together a defensive backfield versus an OC that basically bitch slapped us last year with big receivers who now has even better and bigger receivers.

I wouldn't be in a very good mood either, I don't see any jedi mind tricks being played here. He asked for help, ie; don't ask me about who is in or who is out because he doesn't know

Like I said, we will be lucky to stay in this game due to the extent of the injuries, very lucky

Nah. RU's O blows. The issue with Pitt last year was that they caught us off guard. We thought that they would be a run run pass team. Their RBs last year combined for nearly 2000 yards. All week we heard physical this and physical that from both staff and players. Then Pitt comes out with a wide open O and never looks back. RU's O is Sanu plain and simple. They have nothing else. If they try any other strategy they are only hurting themselves. Pitt had the talent at OL and the skill positions to do anything. RU has an awful OL and QB. Even RU's best weapon (Sanu) is worse then what Pitt had (Baldwin).

Nah. RU's O blows. The issue with Pitt last year was that they caught us off guard. We thought that they would be a run run pass team. Their RBs last year combined for nearly 2000 yards. All week we heard physical this and physical that from both staff and players. Then Pitt comes out with a wide open O and never looks back. RU's O is Sanu plain and simple. They have nothing else. If they try any other strategy they are only hurting themselves. Pitt had the talent at OL and the skill positions to do anything. RU has an awful OL and QB. Even RU's best weapon (Sanu) is worse then what Pitt had (Baldwin).

Good Point, Good post and that is why they play the game. I worry about our secondary tackling as well

well - unfortunately they have some other receivers as well (Harrison, etc) - focus too much on Sanu and suddenly the Harrison kid remembers how to catch the ball and there goes the long 80 yd touchdown that deflates the crowd and the SU players

I can't disagree more. They have some things that match up very well for them against us and we have not been gang busters getting sacks this year so even with them having an average oline there is no guarantee SU will be able to take advantage of that matchup. Sanu in the open field is going to be tough and harder than Baldwin to stop and unless we can get pressure on the Rutgers qb, he will have 15+ touches in this game.

SU has played against 3 top flight receivers this year and hopefully this will help them with Sanu.

well - unfortunately they have some other receivers as well (Harrison, etc) - focus too much on Sanu and suddenly the Harrison kid remembers how to catch the ball and there goes the long 80 yd touchdown that deflates the crowd and the SU players

Harrison has had a poor year. Lots of drops. And Dodd can't throw it longer then 15 yards even if he has time. Not worried.

I can't disagree more. They have some things that match up very well for them against us and we have not been gang busters getting sacks this year so even with them having an average oline there is no guarantee SU will be able to take advantage of that matchup. Sanu in the open field is going to be tough and harder than Baldwin to stop and unless we can get pressure on the Rutgers qb, he will have 15+ touches in this game.

SU has played against 3 top flight receivers this year and hopefully this will help them with Sanu.

They matchup well how? Their OL is not average, it is awful. Makes our OL look like NFL Pro Bowlers. Their QB belongs in DIII. Sanu isn't an open field guy. He is no where near as dangerous as Page in that regard. Sanu poses a threat on the slant vs a Zone. That is it in terms of big plays. He is a good WR and will get open but it will be consistant 10 yard passes. He would be dangerous deep if Nova was QB. Good for us we get RU now before he is ready.

Sunseri also had the game of his life. He hasn't been close to that in any other game. Can't imagine that lightning is going to strike again. Dodd already had his lifetime game, last year against UConn.

They matchup well how? Their OL is not average, it is awful. Makes our OL look like NFL Pro Bowlers. Their QB belongs in DIII. Sanu isn't an open field guy. He is no where near as dangerous as Page in that regard. Sanu poses a threat on the slant vs a Zone. That is it in terms of big plays. He is a good WR and will get open but it will be consistant 10 yard passes. He would be dangerous deep if Nova was QB. Good for us we get RU now before he is ready.

I really hope you're right and Dodd isn't a bad qb, short but serviceable and has ok mobility. If you're looking at the RU Oline because of the NC game then I'd say NC has a pretty good dline so that could be a reason why they struggled. They played a hs team and a good Ohio U team and it's hard to get a real measure of those games because OU isn't a real good defensive team. Sanu has to be tackled when he has the ball and we have to improve that, big time.

Don't be so sure Nova won't play either. He probably won't but I wouldn't count it out either if Dodd struggles or is hurt worse than we thought.

Aint no sunshine when you're gone Barrel

Aint no sunshine when you're gone Barrel

I completely understand.. I was thinking that we may see DK running the read option this week and that is why practice is cancelled, man was a legend. Sping game hero

I really hope you're right and Dodd isn't a bad qb, short but serviceable and has ok mobility. If you're looking at the RU Oline because of the NC game then I'd say NC has a pretty good dline so that could be a reason why they struggled. They played a hs team and a good Ohio U team and it's hard to get a real measure of those games because OU isn't a real good defensive team. Sanu has to be tackled when he has the ball and we have to improve that, big time.

Don't be so sure Nova won't play either. He probably won't but I wouldn't count it out either if Dodd struggles or is hurt worse than we thought.

RU ran for 3.7 ypc against Ohio. The week before Marshall ran for 5.1 vs Ohio. UNC was missing a bunch of players vs RU. They held RU to 0.0 ypc. UVA and Ga Tech were both over 5 vs UNC. RU cannot run the FB.

RU ran for 3.7 ypc against Ohio. The week before Marshall ran for 5.1 vs Ohio. UNC was missing a bunch of players vs RU. They held RU to 0.0 ypc. UVA and Ga Tech were both over 5 vs UNC. RU cannot run the FB.
oh, comon, give RU some credit KO3. This is ridiculous. RU had 0.04 ypc vs UNC!

We'll see otto and again, I hope you're right. GT can run the ball because that's all they do and it really surprises me when people look at what teams do against certain teams and use that as a constant. Injuries and matchups along with game situations play a bigger part imo and looking at small different sample studies is just way too inconclusive with all the emotion that this game will bring being added into the equation. Things change and when you add 17-23 year olds into it, it can change even more.

Very good chance that this could be ugly.

I agree there's a chance but what I like is that this SU team can pass the ball and get back into it, imo coach P teams folded a bit when they fell behind and didn't do too well wit ha double digit deficit. Of course a couple of pick 6's could make it worse but I'm hoping the kids turn it up a notch and keep it going for a 60 minute Orange Crush!

You were very confident before. What happened?

Every game every year we get to game week and you say we will lose.

Don't care if it's ugly. As long as SU is 4-1 and the girls are heading back to Buttgers with their tails between their legs.