I think people are reading too much into this stuff | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think people are reading too much into this stuff

I believe you're thinking of Woods, bees, Page was Toledo's scat receiver.

:bang::bang: You're correct. They were both great though.

Very good chance that this could be ugly.

Did I miss something? Unless there are injuries that weren't apparent in the Toledo game, the Offense is still the same as it was last week (other than speculation on Gulley). I don't know why Marrone would be so distraught that his 2nd string tailback was out for the game. Obviously it impacts the options, but it's not like it's something that should decide the outcome of the game. Gulley was in the game and ran the ball in OT, so is that when he got hurt?

The defense has already been "banged up", so that's nothing new. Especially the secondary.

Now, if we're saying that we lost more people who won't be able to play than we already saw in the game last week, I guess that could be a problem. Maybe Dorian Graham needs to move back to defense if we're running short on CB's. I though Shamarko and Olando Fisher were both about ready to come back... Anderson has already been playing hurt... Lynn is already playing hurt... Phillip Thomas is okay (as far as I know)... Scott was still playing at the end of the game with no apparent injury... Wilkes was still playing at the end of the game with no apparent injury. Who else could it be? Why all the doom and gloom? I do remember someone mentioning that Spruill might be hurt... is he going to be out this game? He was still playing at near the end of the game as far as I can remember. Then we would be playing with a new MLB. That will certainly be a challenge, but doesn't automatically make us lose the game.

I admit it was a little bit disconcerting watching the press conference from last night... this is only the 5th game of the season and Doug already looks really beat down and drained. I don't know if the season is already wearing on him, if he was just having a bad day, or if there is something seriously wrong that he's keeping close to the vest for now.

Arizona Knight

RU has good WRs. Why Deering is now a RB boggles my mind. RU could easily line up in a Spread with Sanu, Harrison, Coleman, and Deering. It wouldn't matter who was QB or at OL.

I think you answered your own question. Deering is a RB because Rutgers has good WR's (that is when they catch the damn ball).

Deering will get his touches soon. He missed all of training camp with a concussion and Schiano said today that he is still trying to play catch-up. You will soon see Deering motioning out of the backfield and into the slot. I would like to see some teams's 3rd or 4th best DB or a LB trying to stay with him.

I think you answered your own question. Deering is a RB because Rutgers has good WR's (that is when they catch the damn ball).

Deering will get his touches soon. He missed all of training camp with a concussion and Schiano said today that he is still trying to play catch-up. You will soon see Deering motioning out of the backfield and into the slot. I would like to see some teams's 3rd or 4th best DB or a LB trying to stay with him.

Deering is a RB moreso because Rutgers is very thin at that position than because the WR position is so good. You may have very good WRs, yet why then were 20 of Dodd's 22 completions to Sanu and Martinek last week?

Did I miss something? Unless there are injuries that weren't apparent in the Toledo game, the Offense is still the same as it was last week (other than speculation on Gulley).

Ummm - that is the speculation at least...

We are all missing something cuz the coach won't talk about it other than to say (or insinuate):
  • there are more injuries than expected after the Toledo game
  • some injuries happened in practice this week
  • some injuries involve casts
  • many injuries are being evaluated day-to-day and a number of players may likely play hurt
  • a number of green backups will likely see the field
  • an the game planning is fousing on simplification because of this
So the speculation is, yes - we have more injuries than you think and yes it could very well be a limiting factor in our field performance.

Deering is a RB moreso because Rutgers is very thin at that position than because the WR position is so good. You may have very good WRs, yet why then were 20 of Dodd's 22 completions to Sanu and Martinek last week?

Schiano/Cignetti moved Martinek and Thomas from the running back position in the Spring so the two folks most qualified to make that judgement, felt comfortable with Deering, Williams (gone now), Jamison and Huggins at RB. As for why Sanu was thrown so many passes, well quite simply, he is usually open. On top of that, as I have mentioned already, Dodd has fired downfield strikes to Harrison and Coleman this year only to see sure touchdowns dropped. This will change soon and when it does I will expect more balls to be thrown their way.

I like Deering as well, though I agree that I'd think he's more of a RB/WR than a straight RB. Either way, good athlete.

As for why Sanu was thrown so many passes, well quite simply, he is usually open.

Is it this or is it a young, inexperienced QB who has taken a lot of hits and knows that Sanu will likely catch his dump-offs? Even though your Oline has given up only 5 sacks (or is it 4), they have allowed a lot of pressure. Dodd got hit a lot even in the NCC game, something like 9 times I believe, and a bunch more against UNC.

This reliance on Sanu will likely need to change as you guys head into the BE schedule, or it will not end up well.

I like Deering as well, though I agree that I'd think he's more of a RB/WR than a straight RB. Either way, good athlete.

Deering is a good one for sure, felt bad for the pounding he was taking last year running that wild knight or whatever they were calling it.. That said, always felt that Martinek was overrated, maybe something to do with him being from Jersey, who knows