I think some of us need to step back off the ledge | Syracusefan.com

I think some of us need to step back off the ledge

Orangemen

All Conference
Losing Coleman is about the biggest non-event that losing a starter could ever be.

Let's face it, we lost Coleman as a regular contributor about 8 games ago. If Coleman got even 5 minutes in a game recently it was a minor miracle. With the loss of Coleman, we have to now divvy up about 3 minutes of playing time. I think that can be done without causing too much stress on the rest of the team.

It's not an ideal situation, but it barely even registers on the radar for this team. We had an all hands on deck game on Saturday, and he only got on the floor when he absolutely had to.

I think losing AO and Melo have altered our perspective on losing guys. Not every loss is the same. Melo and AO were season altering. Losing JS changed the team, but didn't significantly impact the team's ceiling.

Losing Coleman doesn't even belong in the same paragraph as the other 3.

If we get James back, most of us will forget that Coleman was ever injured.

The problem is that I just don't think James is coming back. I think it's done.

Losing Coleman isn't a huge blow, but it does make watching Keita rack up fouls at an impressive clip that much more frustrating knowing Boeheim will be limited in protecting him.

Screw that - this is the end of the world. Syracuse hoops is doomed!

I'm going where I can find some good news - over to the football recruiting board. :)

The problem is that I just don't think James is coming back. I think it's done.

Losing Coleman isn't a huge blow, but it does make watching Keita rack up fouls at an impressive clip that much more frustrating knowing Boeheim will be limited in protecting him.
How do you come up with James not coming back? JB has said he is optimistic on his return, James even said on his twitter 2 weeks ago it would be a few games. At least let the week play out before you throw in the towel on his return.

I know there's a natural inclination to downplay the loss of a player, and I'd be the first to point out Coleman's inability to contribute in a tangible way, but imagine that he'd had surgery last Tuesday instead of today. When we lose two players against Villanova, who plays the five in overtime?

OK, probably Christmas - so who plays the four? Fair? Then Triche goes to the wing again as part of the inept three-guard lineup?

Coleman's a body, and he's better than the alternative. Further, losing a month is going to stunt his development such that this season is probably a loss for him.

It's not good.

Screw that - this is the end of the world. Syracuse hoops is doomed!

I'm going where I can find some good news - over to the football recruiting board. :)

Not to respond to your post. but just the overall thought. Find your passion basketball or football and stick with it.
Mike could probably play some 3 for us. Trevor, mike, triche and fair is a transition dream against any team that wants to speed up the game.

Coleman is a valuable player because we only have SEVEN of them remaining.

I know there's a natural inclination to downplay the loss of a player, and I'd be the first to point out Coleman's inability to contribute in a tangible way, but imagine that he'd had surgery last Tuesday instead of today. When we lose two players against Villanova, who plays the five in overtime?

OK, probably Christmas - so who plays the four? Fair? Then Triche goes to the wing again as part of the inept three-guard lineup?

Coleman's a body, and he's better than the alternative. Further, losing a month is going to stunt his development such that this season is probably a loss for him.

It's not good.

Totally agree. If Dirty isn't coming back having only 7 is a big issue, especially the way Keita racks up fouls. Who knows if Coleman can stay in shape and if it's only 4 weeks? Don't forget how the refs call fouls in the Tourney!

Totally agree. If Dirty isn't coming back having only 7 is a big issue, especially the way Keita racks up fouls. Who knows if Coleman can stay in shape and if it's only 4 weeks? Don't forget how the refs call fouls in the Tourney!

That's a concern too. Although I'll admit that his commitment to conditioning has impressed - he worked hard last summer and he's done a good job for these first three months.

He's still got to drop weight, though. Could go a long way toward alleviating knee problems.

It looks like if no set backs he could be back by the Ville game. He could have 3 games and the BE tournament under his belt before the tourney. 2 weeks of games.

Yes, Coleman isn't a big deal. Yes, a narrow road loss after a missed FT & lucky 3 forced OT isn't a big deal and doesn't change who this team is. Yes, we still have a ridiculous record overall and in conference the last 5 years and are still the favorite to win the conference.

But here's the thing: we want another national championship. Is that an unfair expectation? Maybe. Is it a commentary on how good the program has been? Yes. Is it a bad thing to think big like that? I don't think so.

And the reality is, with or without Coleman and with or without a missed FT & fluke 3 in Philadelphia, we are looking at an offensive team with no post presence supported by mediocre outside shooting that's going to need an erratic PG to make up for these deficiencies with a string of great games in March.
The only difference after the Nova game is, instead of this point of view being laughed at for complaining about winning ugly, now it's being laughed at for overreacting to a loss. It's actually neither, I just don't think this team has the chops to win it all without a lot of breaks. I hope I'm wrong.

The next three games will be very interesting.

Pitt, ND and St. Johns all have effective big men so we should get a good idea of how this will turn out. Kind of bad timing, but oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom